is it just me

Abandon PIT. What happens when other airlines go in and make money in PIT that US says couldnt be done? What happens to market share when PIT is used by the competition they way it used to be used by US? Have you forgotten BWI?

just a thought........

Who said anything about abandoning it? Just reduce it to any other city like we have in the network.

True PIT will never be the hub it once was but we can STILL be a bigger player there than what we currently are. Every passenger that is local to the area and hops on any of our competitors could be OUR passenger. The cuts that have been made to PIT have been deep and massive. More than needed to be. If there is not enough O&D traffic to at least add some of the flights back that were cut, then why are other carriers loads up? Hmmm interesting. And no I'm not talking about the seasonal stuff. People DO travel in PIT year round. Not that I want anyone else displaced (I have been since june of 2003), PIT can still be utilized more than it is without taking ANYTHING away from PHL. Consolidate the crews then and get it done and over with. Originate the trips elsewhere but don't cut anymore flights. Doesn't USwest do that with LAS for the majority? It's just making the other carriers money. STUPID.

Pray tell, exactly what mess are you referring too in PIT OPS Control?? I've not seen any mess there at all.

As for PHL, what is it that you would like him to do? Wave a magic wand perhaps? PHL has issues that have been festering for years. It will be years before there is a full correction. Small steps dude. Calculated steps. Think, plan....yeah it is a new concept for us on the east who are accustomed to throwing money at illogical fixes, or covering things with band aids, or speed tape as it were.

Apparently you are not happy and think that things need to be done differently. Have you by chance offered suggestions to the new management team? I highly doubt that you have, I anticipate your reply to that would be "nobody listens anyway".....correct me if I'm wrong.
I have a good friend that works in OCC PIT. Just less then 2 weeks ago they were giving out leaves to pilots because they had too many, now all of the sudden they are recalling pilots, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, it's like that in all areas of OCC. The Tempe crew has no clue what's really going on here on the east.

As far as PHL goes, the worst thing they did and continue to do is to send all of the northeast connecting traffic through PHL. There is no reason to subject anyone to that nightmare (Lost Bags/Missed Connections/Delays out the wazu) how many of our ex-frequent fliers avoid us now because of this. I personally know many myself that no longer fly us anymore because of PHL. How much cost is involved in running that inefficient operation (Tons of extra fuel/tons and tons of missed bags/frustrated passengers)

As far as contacting mangement, I personally have as well as many ex-customers of ours that I know, and the response is the same as the old management. Basically we hear ya but we don't really care, it's the way it is and it's gonna stay that way.

No one says that we should get out of PHL, just pull the connecting traffic out, it's just common sense. The longer they run this airline in an in efficient manner, the quiker we will be back in BK.

Read the article.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...s/s_209004.html

Its not that money can't be made, It just can't be made using PIT as a mega hub. Other hubs in the network can make more money. I seriously doubt WN will be flying to every city US served.

What makes CLT such a good place to be a mega connecting hub (NO originating traffic at all) And it's only cheaper then PIT due to the significantly reduced operations in PIT.
Then there is the old Siegal saying that it's the strategic location. What a bunch of crap that is. A connecting hub is just what it says, a place to connect passengers efficiently and comfortably, something PHL is not and never will be>

Read the article:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...s/s_209004.html

No one says that we should get out of PHL, just pull the connecting traffic out, it's just common sense. The longer they run this airline in an in efficient manner, the quiker we will be back in BK.

Was doing some checking for April and noticed a trend in PHL. They have many NE cities with 6-10 flights a day from PHL, yet they are flying them now mainly with RJs. There cant be this much local traffic requiring all of these flights there. Just some examples...
PHL- BUF 2ERJ 1CRJ 1DH3 2319
PHL- ROC 1ERJ 3CRJ 2DH8 1734
PHL- SYR 1ERJ 5CRJ 1734
PHL- ALB 1E70 3CRJ 1DH8 1734 1733
PHL- BDL 2E70 3CRJ 1319 1733 1321
PHL- PVD 3E70 2CRJ 1319 2320
PHL- MHT 1E70 5CRJ 1734 1320
PHL- BTV 5CRJ 1319
PHL- PWM 1E70 5CRJ
PHL- LGA 4ERJ 2CRJ 4DH8

Now, how many local people vs conx (I know you need the Caribbean and INTL conx there), but do we have that many banks of Caribbean and Transatlantic flights or could we cut a couple flights, route them via PIT or CLT for domestic conx and still have enough flights for the O&D people to choose from?

Was doing some checking for April and noticed a trend in PHL. They have many NE cities with 6-10 flights a day from PHL, yet they are flying them now mainly with RJs. There cant be this much local traffic requiring all of these flights there. Just some examples...
PHL- BUF 2ERJ 1CRJ 1DH3 2319
PHL- ROC 1ERJ 3CRJ 2DH8 1734
PHL- SYR 1ERJ 5CRJ 1734
PHL- ALB 1E70 3CRJ 1DH8 1734 1733
PHL- BDL 2E70 3CRJ 1319 1733 1321
PHL- PVD 3E70 2CRJ 1319 2320
PHL- MHT 1E70 5CRJ 1734 1320
PHL- BTV 5CRJ 1319
PHL- PWM 1E70 5CRJ
PHL- LGA 4ERJ 2CRJ 4DH8

Now, how many local people vs conx (I know you need the Caribbean and INTL conx there), but do we have that many banks of Caribbean and Transatlantic flights or could we cut a couple flights, route them via PIT or CLT for domestic conx and still have enough flights for the O&D people to choose from?
Finally someone else is getting the true picture.

Let's just say we have 6 flts a day PHL/JAX and we only fill maybe 3 with local PHL passengers.

That leaves the other 3 flts of people being subjected to the whole PHL nightmare flying experience.

Not smart business practice is it?

Your friend in OCC is either sorely misinformed, or you heard something that they did not say. I've been in ops control for 23 years.

You see the big picture? I'm quite amazed. Maybe we could get you elected chairman of the board! Wouldnt that be just lovely?

I personally know many myself that no longer fly us anymore because of PHL. How much cost is involved in running that inefficient operation (Tons of extra fuel/tons and tons of missed bags/frustrated passengers)

As far as contacting mangement, I personally have as well as many ex-customers of ours that I know, and the response is the same as the old management. Basically we hear ya but we don't really care, it's the way it is and it's gonna stay that way.

After many horrible recent experiences with connecting through PHL (to and from PIT), I will not connect through there willingly ever again. I have waited for later flights when offered earlier options that connect through PHL. I will fly any other airline to avoid PHL (and do so more often than not)

Also, after many recent trips paying extremely high prices for short RJ trips and trips with inconvenient connections (also at high prices), I have booked for next week PIT/MCI, outbound on United with a convenient ORD connection, and return on Midwest NONSTOP....WOW!! And the topper is, it's the lowest price I have paid in many years for any ticket. Better service and connections, nonstops and lower prices on other airlines....maybe the other FF's here are on to something.

Lastly, as Jimmy references above-the responses from management where we hear you but don't really care, that's basically the same response I got when I emailed Executive Management very recently.

Better service and connections, nonstops and lower prices on other airlines....maybe the other FF's here are on to something.

The baked on board cookies on Midwest are very yummy.

UA's breakfast fruit platter is pretty good, too. Enjoy.

Pittsburgh is spelled with an H on the end. I am from there, born and raised. But the truth is, with Philly such a short distance away, there is no need for a hub in PIT. Yes, PIT has a nice airport but the O&D traffic is not there to support a hub. PIT should have been closed down years ago. Maybe new management will finally do it.

For your fyi...the O&D traffic has increased substantially in PIT since U's downsizing. Because of the low fares, folks are no longer having to drive to CLE to get a decent fare. I recently flew on USA 3000 to St. Petersburg. The A321 was FULL. The security lines were out to the double doors all lines. The fare was $188 round trip. No meal, but headsets free, beverage twice and chips. Four f/as on board very professional.

Using your logic, why would Dougie need LAS as a base when PHX is so close together???

Lastly, as Jimmy references above-the responses from management where we hear you but don't really care, that's basically the same response I got when I emailed Executive Management very recently.

:down:
How many other companies do you write the execs? Probably zero, why do airline pax think like this? I bet Airline exes get hundereds of letters/e-mails daily no other industry has such demanding customers! I am sure a lot of it is the Airlines fault but does anyone have any insight into why airline pax are so "entitled"? If I don't like a product/service I go away I don't stay and complain, I just don't understand all of this fuss?

How many other companies do you write the execs? Probably zero, why do airline pax think like this? I bet Airline exes get hundereds of letters/e-mails daily no other industry has such demanding customers! I am sure a lot of it is the Airlines fault but does anyone have any insight into why airline pax are so "entitled"? If I don't like a product/service I go away I don't stay and complain, I just don't understand all of this fuss?

You fit right in with the Tempe style. This is the arrogance that has gotten the airlines in trouble before. You are so sadly mistaken. And for your information, the old management ALWAYS responded promptly to concerns and questions--ALWAYS.

Entitled? Are you serious? When you send the revenue that we do to the company, yes, we are ENTITLED to a freaking response. And, the DOT thinks so too.....how are those DOT figures for complaints these days---for every non-response, the DOT is receiving a complaint from your loyal customers. :D Jeez, I hope that it doesn't affect your rankings. :lol:

After many horrible recent experiences with connecting through PHL (to and from PIT), I will not connect through there willingly ever again. I have waited for later flights when offered earlier options that connect through PHL. I will fly any other airline to avoid PHL (and do so more often than not)

Also, after many recent trips paying extremely high prices for short RJ trips and trips with inconvenient connections (also at high prices), I have booked for next week PIT/MCI, outbound on United with a convenient ORD connection, and return on Midwest NONSTOP....WOW!! And the topper is, it's the lowest price I have paid in many years for any ticket. Better service and connections, nonstops and lower prices on other airlines....maybe the other FF's here are on to something.

Listen here folks, this is the PHL reality coming from now ex-customers all over the northeast. Do you still think Dougs doing a great job, please.
Southwest makes money because they listen to the wants and needs of the customers, and that's a fact like it or not.
You don't see them trying to cram their loyal customers through overcrowded, inefficient airports do you?

I have a good friend that works in OCC PIT. Just less then 2 weeks ago they were giving out leaves to pilots because they had too many, now all of the sudden they are recalling pilots, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, it's like that in all areas of OCC. The Tempe crew has no clue what's really going on here on the east.
Did your buddy explain to you that temporary leaves are used for short-term overstaffing and recalls are used for long-term expansion.

Then there is the old Siegal saying that it's the strategic location. What a bunch of crap that is. A connecting hub is just what it says, a place to connect passengers efficiently and comfortably, something PHL is not and never will be>
Are you at all familiar with Kansas City and the black-plague hub of aviation that that place became? Ask anyone from Eastern, UsAir, Braniff and Vanguard. If your hub isn't a bonifide O&D city, it will never be a decent hub, no matter where it's located.