is it just me

harleyrider

Feb 14, 2003
I know some of you are as happy as a pig in mud. Pittsburg, just keeps getting smaller. Our leaders, now with Parker at the helm, still think Philly is the answer to U making a come back. This, will go down with all the other blunders that management has made. Should have stayed on the west coast, should have stayed in Florida. Well as long as the Idiots from U management are whispering in Parker's ear, nothing will change. If they, meaning Parker and now his mismanagement team, think that Pit is not the place to have a base, than just shut it down, so the employees can move on. Example, 1 f/a I know and I am sure there are others, worked 105 hrs a month, but because of no trips went to 95 hrs a month. Now the company, dictates their hrs, depending on the holliday to 85 or 90 hrs. this f/a has 26 years and come April will be on reserve. Reserve f/a get 73 hrs a month, with concessions that's like 4 pay cuts. But I guess as long as management gets their bonus and don't ever have to worry about losing their home, It's ok. After all, Icahn said f/a shouldn't own homes. :censored:

PIT is a done deal..so to speak. Within 24 months it will no longer be a base, and then, as you say, folks can move on.

Get out of the past. Pit is gone, the old management is gone, and new management is on board. Give them some time to get things done, instead of standing by and crying about a business model that is beyond your comprehension.

PIT is a done deal..so to speak. Within 24 months it will no longer be a base, and then, as you say, folks can move on.
Get out of the past. Pit is gone, the old management is gone, and new management is on board. Give them some time to get things done, instead of standing by and crying about a business model that is beyond your comprehension.

Thank you Hula

well the old mgmt may be gone but factor in the old uncle al crelin and a few other dudes from the old usair. but for the most part the new mgmt at the new US seems to be trying to get things smoother as themerger progresses.

I know some of you are as happy as a pig in mud. Pittsburg, just keeps getting smaller. Our leaders, now with Parker at the helm, still think Philly is the answer to U making a come back. This, will go down with all the other blunders that management has made. Should have stayed on the west coast, should have stayed in Florida. Well as long as the Idiots from U management are whispering in Parker's ear, nothing will change. If they, meaning Parker and now his mismanagement team, think that Pit is not the place to have a base, than just shut it down, so the employees can move on. Example, 1 f/a I know and I am sure there are others, worked 105 hrs a month, but because of no trips went to 95 hrs a month. Now the company, dictates their hrs, depending on the holliday to 85 or 90 hrs. this f/a has 26 years and come April will be on reserve. Reserve f/a get 73 hrs a month, with concessions that's like 4 pay cuts. But I guess as long as management gets their bonus and don't ever have to worry about losing their home, It's ok. After all, Icahn said f/a shouldn't own homes. :censored:

Pittsburgh is spelled with an H on the end. I am from there, born and raised. But the truth is, with Philly such a short distance away, there is no need for a hub in PIT. Yes, PIT has a nice airport but the O&D traffic is not there to support a hub. PIT should have been closed down years ago. Maybe new management will finally do it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...s/s_209004.html

Read the article. This airline was built on having an airport in the northeast that could actually connect the millions of people in the northeast with comfort and smooth operations. Face the facts, PHL is a s$#*t hole and always will be.
It's one thing to have the flights to pick up the originating traffic, but it's apalling to anyone who has to connect there.
Say what you want about Ed Colodny, but he's the only one that knew what he was doing in this airline at the top.
If PHL was the answer then US should have been making loads of money in the last few years, but they did'nt.
How many customers just don't fly US anymore because of PHL?
I bet the number is much larger than you think!

Carry on as you will, but the fact remains...PIT is dead. We'll throw a few bones their way in the summer with west coast flights, but thats about it. PIT is a commuter station now.

As for Uncle Ed, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the man. He ran a fantastic regional airline. However, when he bought PSA and PI, it was too big for him, so he bailed. His protoge would have been somewhat adequate to run a regional, but he was in no way groomed or prepared to handle the dabacle know as "mirror image"

Bottom line, we cant go back, so get on board and enjoy the ride, or simply get off.

Carry on as you will, but the fact remains...PIT is dead. We'll throw a few bones their way in the summer with west coast flights, but thats about it. PIT is a commuter station now.

As for Uncle Ed, I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the man. He ran a fantastic regional airline. However, when he bought PSA and PI, it was too big for him, so he bailed. His protoge would have been somewhat adequate to run a regional, but he was in no way groomed or prepared to handle the dabacle know as "mirror image"

Bottom line, we cant go back, so get on board and enjoy the ride, or simply get off.
Oh, but Doug Parker is the same type of guy, just ask anyone involved in the mess of ops in the OCC and east side operations. Too big for Doug, he's losin' grip on the whole thing, what a joke! All he did was run a regional airline with no weather or air traffic problems on the west. Now he's the saving grace of our airline, gimme a break.
We've all heard the we will fix PHL from the last 10 guys who tried and died. Where are they now?

Pray tell, exactly what mess are you referring too in PIT OPS Control?? I've not seen any mess there at all.

As for PHL, what is it that you would like him to do? Wave a magic wand perhaps? PHL has issues that have been festering for years. It will be years before there is a full correction. Small steps dude. Calculated steps. Think, plan....yeah it is a new concept for us on the east who are accustomed to throwing money at illogical fixes, or covering things with band aids, or speed tape as it were.

Apparently you are not happy and think that things need to be done differently. Have you by chance offered suggestions to the new management team? I highly doubt that you have, I anticipate your reply to that would be "nobody listens anyway".....correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, but Doug Parker is the same type of guy, just ask anyone involved in the mess of ops in the OCC and east side operations. Too big for Doug, he's losin' grip on the whole thing, what a joke! All he did was run a regional airline with no weather or air traffic problems on the west. Now he's the saving grace of our airline, gimme a break.
We've all heard the we will fix PHL from the last 10 guys who tried and died. Where are they now?
No weather? Maybe not to the extent east has, but as far I as know(which may not be much), HP has flown into BOS,JFK,EWR,DCA,IAD,BWI,DTW,MKE,CLE,ORD. I may live in PHX but I hear these cities get some white stuff. Ever hear of daily fog issues in SEA,SFO,PDX or possibly EUG. I even hear DEN gets weather. How about monsoon weather in LAS and PHX? or dust storms? How about hurricanes? Hp flies into MIA,FLL,and MCO? I even hear little ole Hp flies into CUN, PVR nd SJD? Rumour has it they used to trvl to MSY. Gosh, I can even remember cxls due to fires in southern Cal. Hp may have not had all the weather issues US has had but once we are fully merged Im sure DP will get things handled. Trust me I dont defend all that he does but he is not a complete idiot. Lets hope for everyones sake that Doug and the employees working TOGETHER will be the saving grace of this airline.

No weather? Maybe not to the extent east has, but as far I as know(which may not be much), HP has flown into BOS,JFK,EWR,DCA,IAD,BWI,DTW,MKE,CLE,ORD. I may live in PHX but I hear these cities get some white stuff. Ever hear of daily fog issues in SEA,SFO,PDX or possibly EUG. I even hear DEN gets weather. How about monsoon weather in LAS and PHX? or dust storms? How about hurricanes? Hp flies into MIA,FLL,and MCO? I even hear little ole Hp flies into CUN, PVR nd SJD? Rumour has it they used to trvl to MSY. Gosh, I can even remember cxls due to fires in southern Cal. Hp may have not had all the weather issues US has had but once we are fully merged Im sure DP will get things handled. Trust me I dont defend all that he does but he is not a complete idiot. Lets hope for everyones sake that Doug and the employees working TOGETHER will be the saving grace of this airline.

AMEN!! It is up the to the employees and doug to save this airline, either one can mess it up but employees can probably mess it up faster ....

I know some of you are as happy as a pig in mud. Pittsburgh, just keeps getting smaller. Our leaders, now with Parker at the helm, still think Philly is the answer to U making a come back. This, will go down with all the other blunders that management has made.

I know the main concern in the thread is the crew base here, but I remember the old management saying it was costing ~$10 per person to transit PIT vs CLT as a conx. Why wouldnt it be possible to add a $10 Q charge to any customer who transits PIT? It would be included in the tax and surcharge amount added on to the cost of the original ticket price. This could help offset the use of the nice facility in PIT vs having to travel thru PHL and keep the passenger use charges US has to pay to a minimum vs the other hubs. The total cost of a ticket now depends on the connection city, not only for actual fare charged (GoFare X GoFare vs conx in CLT with no GoFares) as well as the PFCs charged in each city.

Abandon PIT. What happens when other airlines go in and make money in PIT that US says couldnt be done? What happens to market share when PIT is used by the competition they way it used to be used by US? Have you forgotten BWI?

just a thought........

Abandon PIT. What happens when other airlines go in and make money in PIT that US says couldnt be done? What happens to market share when PIT is used by the competition they way it used to be used by US? Have you forgotten BWI?

just a thought........
Its not that money can't be made, It just can't be made using PIT as a mega hub. Other hubs in the network can make more money. I seriously doubt WN will be flying to every city US served.