PSA QOL

Have to 2nd ITsAJOb, by the numbers PSA has been #1 in completion and on time performance of all the regional carriers for US, except for 2 months somewhere. 1month they were 2nd in ontime and one month 2nd in completions. Doesn't seem to unreliable...

Maybe not compared to Mesa, but how does PSA compare to mainline? Why should our customers have a much lower expectation when they fly on Express? They're paying the same money, no matter what their destination, and they aren't calling Express (Mesa, PSA, etc) reservations when they book a flight, they're calling US Airways mainline.

Face it, flying on Express, every facet, from the service, the comfort, and the reliability, is an inferior experience all the way around, compared to mainline.

Then answer why the turnover is extremely high on the West with the reserves?
Turn over is high over here. Its was also high at the other airline i worked for. I attribute alot of it to the fact the people that are filling these positions have this idea the being an FA is a glamorus job. What they dont know and where i think the company fails to do is let them know what it is really like to be a new FA. You are going to be on reserve for a few years. You are going to get alot of the crappy trips. You are not going to be just sitting around on reserve and getting paid. In other words you are going to work and work hard. Alot of the new hires, BUT NOT ALL, do not have a very strong work ethic and when they find out how hard they do have to work they quit.

We on the west in scheduling do not schedule doing favors. We schedule in the scope of the contracts approved by the memberships of both the pilot and FA groups and the FARs that govern work rules in the airline industry. Unfortunately a majority of those groups do not even understand there contracts and think its everyone against them and they become negative. Learn the contract and understand the work rules and it might be a different story.

For comparison. The MTD is for all of August.

Mainline numbers
US MAINLINE
August 31 DAY MTD GOAL PYM
Flights 1508 46412 58360
Cancellations 25 603 913
Completion Factor 98.4 98.7 99.0 98.5
D0 49.9 52.8 65.0 58.4
D5 63.3 67.4 80.0 72.5
A14 (DOT Arrivals) 67.9 75.7 82.0 79.5

US Regional (is this just PSA and PDT?? can't remember)
August 31 DAY MTD GOAL PYM
Flights 2342 71811 68272
Cancellations 108 1585 2128
Completion Factor 95.6 97.8 97.5 97.0
D0 59.6 68.6 68.0 64.2
D5 64.7 73.4 80.0 68.3
A14 (DOT Arrivals) 64.5 76.0 80.0 71.6
Load Factor 73.6 72.8 66.4

PSA only
01 SEP 06 - DAILY STATS * = OVER GOAL
THESE STATS ARE PRIOR TO ACARS CORRECTIONS.
31AUG MTD GOAL
S:00 67.4 *70.4 70.0
S:05 72.9 76.1 79.0
A:14 74.0 79.6 82.0
COMP 96.8 *98.8 98.5
ORIG 72.9 *85.4 85.0

Maybe not compared to Mesa, but how does PSA compare to mainline? Why should our customers have a much lower expectation when they fly on Express? They're paying the same money, no matter what their destination, and they aren't calling Express (Mesa, PSA, etc) reservations when they book a flight, they're calling US Airways mainline.

Face it, flying on Express, every facet, from the service, the comfort, and the reliability, is an inferior experience all the way around, compared to mainline.

Supercruiser,

Actually as Ev points out. Express total reliablity and performance stats might be behind mainline, It's sufficient to say that unfortunately PSA is equal or sometimes exceeds the stats that mainline puts up. So look at the other regionals for the poor performance. As to the service, Well I'm Ex-mainline, and for the most part, the service between PSA/mainline is almost seamless.

So whatch a think about that?

Yes, high turnover can be atrributed to crappy schedules and work rules. But that's not the fault of the schedulers--they are simply filling open trips based on what's allowed by the contract and FAR's. Maybe the east has more latitude to do "favors" outside the contract than the west.

I have also read in several previous postings that the reserves on the east rarely work more than their minimum guarantee, many of them work less than that. That would seem to indicate an abundance of reserves, which would mean things like tagging and 12 hour duty days for reserves is uncommon.

The problem isn't scheduling; it's staffing.
We used to fly up to 105 hours a month with our old contract, the reason we do not fly as much on the East anymore is because the whole system with PBS is not in place and you're right, we have too many reserves (at times). And for the RECORD the East schedulers DO NOT do favors for us (as much as we would like) they are true professionals and do their job and for the most part treat us with the respect that we deserve (I know that some of our flight attendants do not deserve the respect because they treat the schedulers like dirt but that is another story). I know first hand that some of those schedulers out West have no business doing that job and know what it is like to be under their thumb. I have too many friends out West who live it and know schedulers first hand that have made comments about "how they like the control". And yes RJH I'm sure you are aware that scheduling out West does piece alot of the trips together becuase of the "Auto" process and with tagging and they do cause alot of unnecessary stress and do not allow the poor reserves a decent quality of life--much like the regionals. And no we do not have such things in our contract as tagging and yes 12 and 13 hour days have been quite common lately. None of us out here are new to this.

Welcome to PSA its been this way for 20 years and its not going to
change. I was in managment and choose to leave. I suggest u do the same !!!!

So whatch a think about that?
No first class, no jet way, hangout in jetway for carryon bags, bump bags & pax due to weight & balance, small cabins, long walk to connecting flights JUST SOME OF THE THINGS I HERE EVERY DAY.

Yeah, sounds just about seamless to me too. Don't forget zero air freight revenue, and commuting is like flipping a coin to see if you'll get on. No reserving the jumpseat, and being bumped for weight and considered essentially like off line for prority. But, "sometimes" the on time stats equal or exceed mainline, certainly a small plus, but probably a rare occurrence.

well your wrong on the zero freight rev. Carry mail often, lots of PDQ packs. Also, have carried flowers, fish, live fish, etc etc....so I guess that the cargo in the back is a figment of my imagination. It's not alot, but it is some..
Reserving the jumpseat??? Have no problem doing such. See PSA can reserve it, just like ML guys can do it on their own mettle. Maybe work out something where the WO's can reserve on ML flights and you can do the same on the WO flight?

Never bumped anyone for weight.....nuff said...
And actually the sometimes, about the stats, I put in there due to not being able to go back and check it day by day, but essentially it's normally equal or better than mainline.

As to the no jetways and such, well that's not a PSA thing, that's a ML management thing. See I believe they are the ones that decide how to provide the product to the end user. As to being equal in service and such, I meant once the door is closed, and the crews are in control.....
Don't get me wrong though.....most if not all the flying should be under mainline and done aLOT better than what its currently done. I'm furloughed myself...

With the present situation with liquids gels lotions and aerosols and every body checking bags and the weather conditions this pass week we had many many weight and balance problems with the crj200/700 and dash8.Only if you knew how much mail and freight we did in the pass versus the present because of the weight problems.I wish I had you in the right seat of a crj200 and handed you a OF11E with 50 PAX and J/S 75 BAGS 2000LBS mail and 8000 lbs fuel.. Agents frequently move pax and bags of rj and put them on mainline and less book flights and compensate the pax with vouchers we take a look at your numbers and proactively move the people of problem rj

With the present situation with liquids gels lotions and aerosols and every body checking bags and the weather conditions this pass week we had many many weight and balance problems with the crj200/700 and dash8.Only if you knew how much mail and freight we did in the pass versus the present because of the weight problems.I wish I had you in the right seat of a crj200 and handed you a OF11E with 50 PAX and J/S 75 BAGS 2000LBS mail and 8000 lbs fuel.. Agents frequently move pax and bags of rj and put them on mainline and less book flights and compensate the pax with vouchers we take a look at your numbers and proactively move the people of problem rj

I don't think the freight situation is because of the airplane, it's a station specific thing. I worked at an outstation that when mainline, we had it contracted out, when we went express, we just stopped. However there are outstations that do accept air freight (pure express, not just those with some mainline service). I'm not entirely sure if station management decides or what.

As for pulling people off, this week alone I was on 2 flights that we had to pull non-revs off. They tried their best to make it work, but no matter what they plugged in, it wasn't going to happen. So that does happen. From my agent days, the Dash, nothing is as weight restricted as that plane. I loved working it, but the 100, couldn't take it all.

John John, I still say you need a mainline only station. Your vile hatred of all things express truly has to make you dread going to work every single day. Once again, I was furloughed from my awesome station and we went express. It was a horrible transition, but we managed. You are still mainline and still have mainline flights. Consider yourself among the lucky ones. Back to ignoring you again. no offense, please. One day if I fly into your station I'd like to meet you and shake your hand, even if I am an employee of the evil PSA and happy on my evil 50 seat RJ. I've been on the customer service side and know how much weight restrictions suck. But we all deal with it.

ps....Crzi-hey slum lord!! :)

well your wrong on the zero freight rev. Carry mail often, lots of PDQ packs...
It's not alot, but it is some..

Reserving the jumpseat??? Have no problem doing such. See PSA can reserve it, just like ML guys can do it on their own mettle.

it's a management thing. See I believe they are the ones that decide how to provide the product to the end user.

I'm furloughed myself...

Evidently you fly the 70 seater which is doing a somewhat better job than the 50 seater.

Ok you're carrying "some" freight, maybe a fraction of what we used to carry with previous mainline equipment.

As for never bumping anyone for weight, too bad your whole operation isn't run by you personally, but how about the rest of your operation and fleet?

Glad you can reserve the jumpseat...all 500 of your pilots. No help though for all the mainline guys now commuting from Expressed cities.

I guess the "management" thing is how you justify now being furloughed flying former mainline passengers on mainline routes, with a happy face.

Evidently you fly the 70 seater which is doing a somewhat better job than the 50 seater.

Ok you're carrying "some" freight, maybe a fraction of what we used to carry with previous mainline equipment.

As for never bumping anyone for weight, too bad your whole operation isn't run by you personally, but how about the rest of your operation and fleet?

Glad you can reserve the jumpseat...all 500 of your pilots. No help though for all the mainline guys now commuting from Expressed cities.

I guess the "management" thing is how you justify now being furloughed flying former mainline passengers on mainline routes, with a happy face.

Remember it is not the pilots that choose where and when we fly or what equipment is to be flown. If anyone is to blame for mainline flying being at a regional level is US Air Management or ALPA. Fighting with ourselves helps noone but management. You are right about the 70 and 90 seaters should be at mainline, crap so should the 50 seaters. But we were sold out by the senior pilots at mainline and ALPA. (EAT THE YOUNG). So all the furlough pilots (J4J's) that are at express carriers are here to stay. When regional pilots wages get up to that next level you will see more and more 737's flying at mainline. So if you are understanding me....The higher wages get at the regional level the more flying there will be at mainline. Rather then selling out the regional pilots, mainline needs to support us in obtaining higher wages. It helps us and it helps you get more airplanes.

I agree with you. The weak dick's at mainline (not just at US, and with the help of a bankruptcy judge) opened the barn door for massive outsourcing with a product that is far inferior to mainline. But we are where we are. Luckily, I'd never have to face flying for an Express operator even if US liquidated, and for the young ones that are at Express now, I say get the time and experience, and bail asap. Unfortunatley, because of the outsourcing, some will be there longer than others.

Back