Jblu To End Service To Atl

DLFlyer31

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Effective December 5th, JBLU will cease operations at ATL. JBLU currently operates two daily flights from ATL...one to LGB and one to OAK. The cancellation of ATL-LGB frees up slots that will now be used for BOS-LGB.

ATL becomes the first city to have service terminated by JBLU.

I think you will see JBLU continue to ramp up service at BOS in the near term. Additional frequencies to Florida for sure.

I have flown jetBlue a couple of times and like them a lot, but I would not chose them out of ATL because they give me only 1 time option to fly. I think had jetBlue put a couple of more flight into ATL and given passengers some frequency, not much, but a couple of choices, it may have worked for them there. Sorry ATL.

I expect to see JB back in ATL with the E190 and much better frequencies. Until then, let's offer our well wishes to the JB crewmembers in ATL that will not be able to take other positions in the company. Thanks for your hard work.
AKAAB

AKAAB said:
I expect to see JB back in ATL with the E190 and much better frequencies.
I don't. I thought that the purpose of the 190's was to open up service to "smaller" markets. Considering that the Atlanta metro area has a population that was greater than 25 STATES, just how small is "small"?

Yes the 190's are for smaller markets, however they will also be used to add frequencies in other current markets.

As far as ATL goes, I think B6 made the right move. The loads on the flights were in the 70's which is ok, but the slots in LGB could be used to serve markets with more revenue potential i.e bos. I think B6 made the right move by closing ATL.

They're trying to get LGB-DFW rights to be compete against the Gorilla. But, just like in ATL they will pull out of DFW. In certain markets they can't compete against the big guns in this industry.

Delta owns ATL and American owns DFW. You can't compete against these two in their hub cities.

wrx said:
They're trying to get LGB-DFW rights to be compete against the Gorilla. But, just like in ATL they will pull out of DFW. In certain markets they can't compete against the big guns in this industry.

Delta owns ATL and American owns DFW. You can't compete against these two in their hub cities.
There is no such thing as "rights" in the domestic US market. Any airline can fly between any two domestic US airports (including Guam and Puerto Rico) any time and any day they want. The DOT-restricted airports are New York City LaGuardia and Washington National.

Not to mention AirTran quickly added ATL-West Coast... If I lived in ATL... I would fly AirTran over JB for 2 reasons: 1) Right Airport (LAX vs LGB, SFO vs OAK) 2) Double the flight options (1 vs 2).

ATL was JB's move to show-up DL. They ended up getting a one-two punch of DL's dramatic increase in flights and low-fare competition from AirTran...

MAH4546 said:
wrx said:

There is no such thing as "rights" in the domestic US market. Any airline can fly between any two domestic US airports (including Guam and Puerto Rico) any time and any day they want. The DOT-restricted airports are New York City LaGuardia and Washington National.
True, jetBlue could fly from LGB to DFW right now if they wished. But they'd have to give up at least one of their other current flights to do it.
LGB is slot-restricted to a certain number of departures per day per local government action.
Those NIMBY's don't want to hear that awful jet noise...

KCFlyer - The 190 will be used to open medium and smaller markets, but it will also be used to open larger cities with the level of frequency that the travellers need. Chicago has been rumored for three years, but David and Dave have said we will hold off until we can go in with at least 6-8 flights a day. Translation - E190's first, then some A320's as demand builds.

Entering ATL when we did served it's purpose, but JB needs to use the limited LGB slots to their maximum potential. If the slot system goes away in LGB, then the entire pitcure changes for all of the players. Now, I'm not thrilled that we are pulling out of ATL, but that's my ego talking, not my wallet.

We'll be back, but only when it makes more money.

AKAAB

MAH4546 said:
wrx said:

I think your mistaking what he means by "owning" DFW and ATL. Theres a phenomenon thats happend again and again at large hub airports. Low Fare airline starts service on a route and lowers prices. The Hub Airline must now lower its fares to match its competitor. The new low fares drive demand thru the roof! Customers looking to fly the route choose the exsisting hub carrier usually by a wide margin. Frustrated Low Fare airline eventually cuts back or eliminates service. Fares start going back up as competition wanes.

I think the EMB's might be perfect for ATL and maybe even DFW. ATL already has a strong #2 hub airline in Airtran thats on a major expansion plan. Airtran will grab the lions share of the low fare market leaving little for JB to go after. DFW-LGB might be a little easier. Although AA already serves it DL does not and there's always room for a second airline.

AAmech said:
I think your mistaking what he means by "owning" DFW and ATL. Theres a phenomenon thats happend again and again at large hub airports. Low Fare airline starts service on a route and lowers prices. The Hub Airline must now lower its fares to match its competitor. The new low fares drive demand thru the roof! Customers looking to fly the route choose the exsisting hub carrier usually by a wide margin. Frustrated Low Fare airline eventually cuts back or eliminates service. Fares start going back up as competition wanes.
That's precisely why JetBlue started off with a huge amount of capital. They looked at the failures of other start-ups, and they realized they would need some big guns of their own to counteract the big guns that will be aimed at them when they start operations.

Anyway, if LGB-DFW doesn't work out, they should be able to make a double-outlying airport route work out -- LGB to ACT. :)