Jetblue Begins Reimbursements

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
JetBlue Begins Reimbursing Stranded Passengers

By JEFF BAILEY
Published: February 20, 2007
JetBlue Airways said yesterday that it would immediately begin paying penalties, ranging from $25 toward a future flight to a round-trip ticket, to passengers kept waiting by the airline’s own mistakes.

The program, developed over the weekend by JetBlue’s founder and chief executive, David G. Neeleman, is intended to atone for a breakdown last week in the airline’s operations that stranded hundreds of passengers for six hours or more on a tarmac at John F. Kennedy International Airport and delayed thousands of others.

On Sunday, Mr. Neeleman said he was “humiliated and mortifiedâ€￾ by the problems. Will the measures be enough to keep JetBlue, until last week an industry leader in customer satisfaction surveys by J. D. Power & Associates, from losing a significant number of customers? Industry officials said more crucial than any payback program will be the airline’s ability to avoid a repetition of the fiasco.

story

JetBlue Begins Reimbursing Stranded Passengers

By JEFF BAILEY
Published: February 20, 2007
JetBlue Airways said yesterday that it would immediately begin paying penalties, ranging from $25 toward a future flight to a round-trip ticket, to passengers kept waiting by the airline’s own mistakes.

The program, developed over the weekend by JetBlue’s founder and chief executive, David G. Neeleman, is intended to atone for a breakdown last week in the airline’s operations that stranded hundreds of passengers for six hours or more on a tarmac at John F. Kennedy International Airport and delayed thousands of others.

On Sunday, Mr. Neeleman said he was “humiliated and mortifiedâ€￾ by the problems. Will the measures be enough to keep JetBlue, until last week an industry leader in customer satisfaction surveys by J. D. Power & Associates, from losing a significant number of customers? Industry officials said more crucial than any payback program will be the airline’s ability to avoid a repetition of the fiasco.

story
He was on Late Show with David Letterman last night and he kept saying they now learned from this, but he failed to go into detail about what went wrong and how he would do stuff, other than the Bill Of Rights, if the weather happened again. He kept saying that they screwed up and learned from this, but didn't offer any solution. I tend to believe that he is clueless on what to do. I just hope that there will be no next time.

I must say I was always impressed reading how he would be on a flight help cleaning up between legs, but this was a mess. This airline is not like major carriers that can divert is pax through other hubs. JFK is its home and when it shuts down, what do people expect to happen to all the other places it serves? The only thing they should have learned from this is to shut things down befor you have planes full of people with crummy weather just on the horizon! But props to them for really being proactive in offering incentives to those stranded. I think people will be flying JB for a long time to come. :up:

I must say I was always impressed reading how he would be on a flight help cleaning up between legs, but this was a mess. This airline is not like major carriers that can divert is pax through other hubs. JFK is its home and when it shuts down, what do people expect to happen to all the other places it serves? The only thing they should have learned from this is to shut things down befor you have planes full of people with crummy weather just on the horizon! But props to them for really being proactive in offering incentives to those stranded. I think people will be flying JB for a long time to come. :up:
Offer $49 RT fares, and the load factor will be 99% by next week. ;)

What meltdown?

I thought that Neeleman has handled the whole unfortunate mess with humility and dignity.

I tend to agree, especially when Neeleman corrected the PR Toady on the conference call earlier this week who said that it was an "exciting time" for jetBlue. Not long afterward, Neeleman publicly corrected the fool (who should be polishing the resume today) and said it was an awful time for the airline.

No doubt it pissed off the toady - but that showed leadership.

0710covdc.gif

This morning (Friday), JetBlue has announced it has cancelled 215 weather related flights. Does jetBlue's new "Passenger Bill of Rights" pay out to those passengers who's flights have been cancelled? If so, any estimates on how much 215 cancelations will/would cost JetBlue in reimbursements? My quess: 215 flights X 90 pax each flight (est.) X $25 = $483,750

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070316/ap_on_...e_cancellations

Latest posts