JFK baggage handler gets life in prison

bigbear52

May 9, 2011
[background=transparent]
The testimony at a federal drug trafficking trial was chilling: Jurors heard how bribed baggage handlers at John F. Kennedy International Airport concealed cocaine on commercial jets inside sensitive wing assembly compartments.[/background]

[background=transparent]
Saying the tactic risked the lives of passengers, a federal judge sentenced the convicted leader of the drug ring on Tuesday to life in prison.[/background]

[background=transparent]
Former American Airlines baggage handler Victor Bourne was found guilty last year of charges he used his behind-the-scenes access at New York City's busiest airport to orchestrate the smuggling of more than 330 pounds of cocaine from 2000 to 2009.[/background]

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/16/jfk-baggage-handler-gets-life-in-prison-for-role-in-airpot-drug-smuggling-ring/%20?test=latestnews#ixzz29UyRdxP9

As long as airlines continue to offer minimum wages for back-breaking work, drug trafficking, vandalism, and theft will be the norm and not the exception.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't ordinarily bash management, but I have to ask - where was management hiding while all this was going on? Isn't there any management supervision of the ramp at JFK? The linked article said that the defendant bribed crew chiefs so that he and his accomplices would be assigned the drug-laden flights, but crew chiefs aren't management. If fleet service is so unsupervised that he could be carrying duffel bags to load up with 60 bricks of coke after removing some panels to the wing box, you gotta ask - where the hell was management? If an actual supervisor makes a few unscheduled appearances, it wouldn't have been quite so easy for this guy to do all of this completely undected.

Reactions: 2 people
As long as airlines continue to offer minimum wages for back-breaking work, drug trafficking, vandalism, and theft will be the norm and not the exception.
so at what point is the salary large enough to eliminate the necessity to be involved in crime? probably about the same level where aforementioned employee realized he has made enough running drugs so he can quit his life of crime and be satisfied with his take so far.

Yes, FWA, you truly do have to wonder not only where mgmt was but what security was being provided - security cameras being monitored etc. Airports SHOULD be full of cameras filming every thing that happens but esp. at an airport as appealing to terrorists as JFK. But the the airport itself not that long ago witnessed a boater scale the airport fences and walk across runways to access the terminal.

Because if it's anything like Miami, you'll end up dead..

^^^ This. There's a well known case at BOS where a NWA ramp supervisor wound up dead just for being suspected of knowing about a theft ring...

^^^ This. There's a well known case at BOS where a NWA ramp supervisor wound up dead just for being suspected of knowing about a theft ring...

For the record Eric, she, (susan) was a new crew chief.
There was theft of US Mail going on(probably credit cards), and she informed her crew that it wouldn't be tolerated.
She ALSO informed MANAGEMENT !!!!!
The rest is sad history.
How do I know ? She and my son were hired the exact same class back in 1987.
I had the pleasure of meeting this wonderful person(once).

Small world Eric, huh ?

This went on at the old Eastern Airline's in the early 80's. In fact, some accused the company of being involved as it tried to save it's self from liquidation.