Job Openings

Amen Brother
Northwest Airlines, Inc. is currently seeking Technicians to join its Detroit Line Maintenance team. This is a 40 hour/week position on a rotating schedule with opening on all shifts.
If they are hiring all Shets, AND FULL TIME :shock: I think Detroit has a problem.

Oh, and 494 is in MN. PTO is in MI, the land of the forsaken.............. :ph34r:

Well with the cool $200k I'm gonna make with the sale of my home I think I can afford to buy those homes near DTW ... probably the whole street. I'll rent it out to scabs and call it "Scab Row". ............. poor things, can't do the "paying bills for two places at the same time..." thing

Welcome to the Airline biz..... :)

NW couldnt figure out how to handle their union workforce...
Actually they handled the AMFA workforce quite flawlessly and brilliantly. NW became the envy of employers throughout the U.S. in how they dealt with AMFA.

I'm sure NWA will get the "cream of the crop". I noticed they did not mention the need for much experience other than an A&P license? Check out the requirements for FedEx or UPS to work on their aircraft. Noticable difference and all they carry is freight.... :huh:

Actually they handled the AMFA workforce quite flawlessly and brilliantly. NW became the envy of employers throughout the U.S. in how they dealt with AMFA.

Nah, not really. And "flawless"? That's really reaching. Envy? Does it take home the prize? Envy is more of a base instinct best kept in check than a good business plan.

For me to take on a job Phxmama that job must meet certain monetary expectations that I impose myself. Once a job fails to meet those self imposed expectations there is no need for me to be here. With a roommate and the current rent I am just at the minimums of that threshold. With an increase in rent that will put me under that threshold. Resulting in me making some adjustments or an immediate pull on the ol'e ejection handle. So Phxmama it is not whether or not I can afford my rent it is simply a matter of whether I want to. I promise you that I would rather be at home with my family this summer and fishing rather than being up here working to pay for an apartment. You see Phxmama, when something is no longer able to produce and give you what you want it is time to move on. Why do you guys find that so difficult to do?
Your a gypsy, you have no clue or direction in your life. you shuffle from one job to the next never knowing what your next move will be, your wife must be a miserable soul trapped with a loser who is constantly packing up and leaving her raising the kids while he chases a dead end trail.

You chose to help lower the standard, and now you complain because the rent may be going up. So go get a second job, work the O/T, or pack your bags and move onto the next dead end job, but you will get no sympathy here SCABBY. Better yet go home, bait a hook and send your little lady out to work or live on public assistance, you fit the bill!

I find nothing difficult about your pathetic way of life, we're the ones fighting to raise the bar, your the one who begs for scraps. what happened to those superior SCAB negotiating skills you like to brag about? Go Demand a raise for your superior SCAB skills rookie, tell'em you boys are gonna shut'em down.. :lol: :lol:

Nah, not really. And "flawless"?
Pretty much. They wanted to get rid of AMFA, and thanks to patient planning and flawless execution, AMFA is gone.

Envy? Does it take home the prize? Envy is more of a base instinct best kept in check than a good business plan.
The prize is to get rid of unions (which is a goal buried somewhere in the business plans of most unionized companies, though usually expressed as "reducing labor costs" instead of explicitly "busting unions.")

Don't think other employers weren't taking notes on how NW handled AMFA. It'll stand as a textbook example of union busting for years to come.

Pretty much. They wanted to get rid of AMFA, and thanks to patient planning and flawless execution, AMFA is gone.
The prize is to get rid of unions (which is a goal buried somewhere in the business plans of most unionized companies, though usually expressed as "reducing labor costs" instead of explicitly "busting unions.")

Euphemisms aside, if "busting unions" is a goal in and of itself, I fail to see what it has accomplished in reference to a good business plan. The operation has suffered and still is owing to mtc related issues above the current issues legacy carriers are facing ( LCC's, Fuel etc )

Don't think other employers weren't taking notes on how NW handled AMFA. It'll stand as a textbook example of union busting for years to come.

Of course they're salivating, but I doubt they're emulating, given the results, and of course it's always every pinstriped pinhead's nirvana to bust unions to mask or mitigate their own largesse and malfeasance. I mean, a 5 year old kid's dream is Chocolate cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; but it doesn't make for a very solid foundation of a healthy life.

Euphemisms aside, if "busting unions" is a goal in and of itself, I fail to see what it has accomplished in reference to a good business plan.
No unions usually equals lower labor costs. Lower labor costs usually equals a good business plan. Certainly you are not arguing that unions organize a workplace with the stated goal of encouraging employers to spend LESS on employees?

The operation has suffered and still is owing to mtc related issues above the current issues legacy carriers are facing ( LCC's, Fuel etc )
I know that this is the mantra here on the NW board, that the operation is falling apart. Every minor mishap gets its own thread and much associated drama, as if NW was operationally at the top of the heap before the strike. But the data I have seen doesn't seem to indicate NW is doing much worse than other legacy carriers operationally, or compared to pre-strike days over the long term, especially considering NW is in Chapter 11. If someone has data from a neutral source showing how terribly NW is doing compared to other airlines, I would like to see it. My impression was that NW was doing a mediocre job of things before, and continues to do a mediocre job now.

EVEN IF operational statistics are a bit worse, the NW v. AMFA battle would still be seen as a victory by NW in the business community, because it shed an archaic union.

Face it. When viewed objectively, AMFA lost, big time, by any measure. They went into battle with sticks and stones, and NW came armed with machine guns.

No unions usually equals lower labor costs. Lower labor costs usually equals a good business plan. Certainly you are not arguing that unions organize a workplace with the stated goal of encouraging employers to spend LESS on employees?
I know that this is the mantra here on the NW board, that the operation is falling apart. Every minor mishap gets its own thread and much associated drama, as if NW was operationally at the top of the heap before the strike. But the data I have seen doesn't seem to indicate NW is doing much worse than other legacy carriers operationally, or compared to pre-strike days over the long term, especially considering NW is in Chapter 11. If someone has data from a neutral source showing how terribly NW is doing compared to other airlines, I would like to see it. My impression was that NW was doing a mediocre job of things before, and continues to do a mediocre job now.

EVEN IF operational statistics are a bit worse, the NW v. AMFA battle would still be seen as a victory by NW in the business community, because it shed an archaic union.

Face it. When viewed objectively, AMFA lost, big time, by any measure. They went into battle with sticks and stones, and NW came armed with machine guns.
Although NW wont he interim battle, they will NOT be able to exit CH11 due to the ongoing strike. I dont know of any lenders who would lend a SCABBED FILLED airline the dough to exit ch11. And NWA's ops has suffered tremendously with one emergence landing after another and bussing pax from Grand Forks to MSP and stranding hundreds of pax in Tokyo. I sure as he!! wouldnt call it a victory by any means for NWA. With all issues of their SHODDY MTC, NWA is a disaster waiting to happen and I hope it doesnt occur but with no experience in their shoddy maintaince department, the chances are increasing.

My impression was that NW was doing a mediocre job of things before, and continues to do a mediocre job now.
March 2006 -
Maintenance delays per 100 departs - 9.4
Average delay length - 38 minutes

March 2005 -
Average delay length - 37 minutes

I would say that $200M in annualized labor savings were well worth it, as obviously the performance has not sufferred with the replacement workforce.

Although NW wont he interim battle, they will NOT be able to exit CH11 due to the ongoing strike. I dont know of any lenders who would lend a SCABBED FILLED airline the dough to exit ch11.
As far as the lending and financial communites are concerned, What strike? It's over!

Lenders won't refuse to lend out of some sense of moral compassion for unions or because there are scabs on the property. (You really aren't familiar with how Wall Street works, or the depth of hatred for unions the business community has.)

IF the strike had the potential to disrupt operations, that would scare away lenders. But as far as lenders are concerned, there is no viable strike anymore.

And NWA's ops has suffered tremendously...
Data from a neutral source representing the system as a whole, please. We can all pick out individual incidents at any airline.

Look, it's sad what happened with AMFA. But being in denial about the situation doesn't help anyone, and it only leads to future opportunities for failed strikes (from the union perspective) -- or at least further loss of credibility -- if you are still trying to convince anyone that AMFA crippled NW. That's a joke.

For a while I understood the endless posts about how NW is in dire straits operationally because of the strike, because union members had to believe they made a difference by striking when things were at their lowest. But now it seems like many here actually believe the rhetoric. You are only going to be in for more disappointments if you keep your heads in the sand.

How has AMFA lost?

AMFA was "working" with a management that wanted them off the property. Period. How can you insinuate that AMFA should have voted on a t/a that would eliminate HALF of their membership? Please refrain from the standard, "Well, at least some members whould have a job.". If that is your thought process the answer whould be, "NO! There would not be a job. There would only be a place where people went that were not appreciated for their skills and treated like indentured servants.".

The only people who have lost "big time" are the NWA AMTs that SCABBED and the SCABS from off the street. ALL the remaining strikers have won "big time"! How? Because they have their integrity and can go through life knowing that they did the right thing when the time called for it.

NWA is the one who has lost. They might have won the battle but will certainly have lost the war. I tell everyone I know not to fly NWA. I see the reports of maintenance problems and pass them along to inform others.

Simply because an airline has a/c doesn't make that airline a success. How's the morale and attitude of the remaining other unions? Come on out to SAN and ask that question.

No, NWA lost.

March 2006 -
Average delay length - 38 minutes

March 2005 -
Average delay length - 37 minutes
I would say that $200M in annualized labor savings were well worth it, as obviously the performance has not sufferred with the replacement workforce.
:elvis: Elvis is in the house..OH no its only finman
...saw you trolling the boards every day. I knew you couldn’t go too long without posting! Almost made it a whole month! WAYTOGO!!!!
At least my ignore button still works! Knew I shouldn’t have taken a peak behind my “you chose to ignore this persons post†window. Takes a big person to walk away from the grips of NW management AKA the dark side…..Guess we know what kinda man you are!

PS… I don’t believe you are the neutral source Bear96 was referring to. Neither do I believe your stats!
Bear96, if you work for USAIR, that’s where you belong worse airline ever as far as employee moral goes. (Get your own dam house in order)
Now wheres that ignore button again? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back