Judge approves 19% temporary cuts for IAM workers

"Happy Holidays NWA" !!

Speaking ONLY for myself, If I knew an airline was very close to "Disolving" a workers earned sick bank, and just ran to court, to force it's workers to swallow a 19% pay cut, I would choose to be flying on any other airline, over the 2 upcoming holidays, for fear of "potential" disruptions !

I heard a "rumor" that BOS had already experienced attendance difficulty's, last week, and it was'nt even THANKGIVING or XMAS yet !!

NH/BB's

This shows that the AMFA mechanics were smart to walk out when they did. Those "temporary" paycuts will only increase and become permanant. Will the IAM do the right thing and walk out also? Same goes for the pilots,F/A's. Looks like NWA is going to go down like the Titanic.

Yes Princess,

The fools that refused to stand up to the robber barons of NWA will now take the brunt of it.

NWA will steal EVERYTHING they can from you and not bat an eye over it.

They had their chance.

Will the IAM do the right thing and walk out also?

If the permanent "agreement" looks like the current proposal,there's a lot of us at the local level that sure hope so.

I don't have to tell you that any action will originate at the local level and not at the GC level or above.

Nor will it suprise you that almost no one (at least that I know) has any faith/respect in DePace.

P.S. In my city, NW is participating in a job fair tomorrow looking for PT rampers. I predict the conversations will go like this:

NW manager: How'd you like to work for an airline?

Prospective Hire: Cool! What would I be doing?

NW manager: You'd be loading and unloading planes outside at night all winter long. After you're done with that, you service the lavatories and clean the aircraft cabin. Your shift would be 1930-0100, and your days off would be Mon./Tues.

Prospective hire: What does that pay?

NW manager: $8.30 an hour American!

Prospective hire: Uhhhh, you know what? I think I'll just go over and check out the Starbucks booth. Thanks....

well if the iam does to you nwa folks like what we at usair took i'd say go out on strike! good luck because you all will need it! and it wont be bad to have the thanksgiving/christmas/new years off either

If the permanent "agreement" looks like the current proposal,there's a lot of us at the local level that sure hope so.

I don't have to tell you that any action will originate at the local level and not at the GC level or above.

Nor will it suprise you that almost no one (at least that I know) has any faith/respect in DePace.

P.S. In my city, NW is participating in a job fair tomorrow looking for PT rampers. I predict the conversations will go like this:

NW manager: How'd you like to work for an airline?

Prospective Hire: Cool! What would I be doing?

NW manager: You'd be loading and unloading planes outside at night all winter long. After you're done with that, you service the lavatories and clean the aircraft cabin. Your shift would be 1930-0100, and your days off would be Mon./Tues.

Prospective hire: What does that pay?

NW manager: $8.30 an hour American!

Prospective hire: Uhhhh, you know what? I think I'll just go over and check out the Starbucks booth. Thanks....

Good Luck Kev, The workers of this country deserve better than the likes of the IAM and TWU. The sad part is the self absorbed leaders of these sorry organizations think they they are the ones that deserve better, not the members.

Good Luck Kev, The workers of this country deserve better than the likes of the IAM and TWU. The sad part is the self absorbed leaders of these sorry organizations think they they are the ones that deserve better, not the members.

How does unionism survive in the US with such animosity between unions. Surely if you were going to have any success in forcing management to do anything it would be to have all unions singing from the same song sheet? I would suggest that without unions working together you're all (deleted by moderator).

How does unionism survive in the US with such animosity between unions. Surely if you were going to have any success in forcing management to do anything it would be to have all unions singing from the same song sheet? I would suggest that without unions working together you're all (deleted by moderator).

How does it survive?

Well its not, its dying. The problem is that many of the unions are being kept in a state of "being" by complex laws set up by the government (and the corprations) that keep the ineffective and corrupt in place, thus denying real unions the ability to replace them.

The system governing choosing unions and replacing them is designed to be undemocratic.

For instance once in place a union remains in place forever.

Its easier for a company to get rid of a militant union than it is for members to get rid of a corrupt one thats in bed with the company.

In order to get a union on to the property the union only has to collect cards from a third of the work group in order to trigger an election, however in order to replace that union the members have to get over 50% to trigger an election.

In representation contests votes not cast are counted as votes against having a union, thats rediculous. Especially when you consider what voter turnout is for our elected politicians.

Bob, the only problem with your government laws keeping unions going is that they don't give them any money. It is the member dues that keep unions going. The best vote would be for everyone not to pay dues. Then I'm sure the union will voluntarily leave. That is when you guys simply create your own union if you really feel one is needed.

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately (for everyone), you're assessment of the IAM leadership is dead on.....

Latest posts