Labor Troubles-Ramp, WN Files suit.

Wait, what happen to that long held example of the perfect union+managment success story?

lol

townpete said:
Wait, what happen to that long held example of the perfect union+managment success story?
Perhaps they've hired too many ex-AA, ex-NW, etc. employees who were perpetually bitter, and that's tainted the culture?...

It might not be the Good Ship Lollipop, but WN still seems to have a far better working relationships than any other airline.

But, that can't last forever.

WN is now well into its second generation and starting its third generation of workers. The first generation became millionaires on stock options and splits.

The second generation, not so much, but they had the example of the first generation's loyalty to the company.

Now, all bets are off.

eolesen said:
Perhaps they've hired too many ex-AA, ex-NW, etc. employees who were perpetually bitter, and that's tainted the culture?...It might not be the Good Ship Lollipop, but WN still seems to have a far better working relationships than any other airline.But, that can't last forever.WN is now well into its second generation and starting its third generation of workers. The first generation became millionaires on stock options and splits.The second generation, not so much, but they had the example of the first generation's loyalty to the company.Now, all bets are off.
So you place the onus on all the union workers...ex NWA and AA? Very typical of you.

You don't suppose that new executive management has anything to do with the relationship with all the unions.

There is much to go around right now, the labor/mgmt partnership should consider long term agreements using interest (integrative) based bargaining instead of positional negotiation.

It would benefit all in the long run.

Glenn Quagmire said:
So you place the onus on all the union workers...ex NWA and AA? Very typical of you.

You don't suppose that new executive management has anything to do with the relationship with all the unions.
You're the one assuming it's all about the union folks, Glenn. WN has also hired a bunch of displaced management workers in the past 5-7 years, and due to proximity, AA is the two largest contingency, along with NW, the two airlines with the largest number of management layoffs post-merger.

They've also hired a bunch of mechanics, rampers, and some pilots, all seeking greener pastures.

I think it's that combination of outside airline influences plus the generational issues that's created the current situation.

Focusing on executive compensation is just a convenient distraction, but the culture has noticeably shifted since Herb's generation of managers and employees retired.

Employees are not blind to where the record profits are going.

Massive stock repurchase programs coupled with sweetheart stock option deals, appear to be shifting those profits to a group of people other than the union employees.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=LUV+Insider+Transactions

This kind of information does not sit too well with the rank and file who have been without raises for years while their healthcare expenses have been growing.

eolesen said:
You're the one assuming it's all about the union folks, Glenn. WN has also hired a bunch of displaced management workers in the past 5-7 years, and due to proximity, AA is the two largest contingency, along with NW, the two airlines with the largest number of management layoffs post-merger.They've also hired a bunch of mechanics, rampers, and some pilots, all seeking greener pastures.I think it's that combination of outside airline influences plus the generational issues that's created the current situation.Focusing on executive compensation is just a convenient distraction, but the culture has noticeably shifted since Herb's generation of managers and employees retired.
I said nothing about executive compensation E.

I did assume that you were referring to the union workforce when you referred to ex NWA and AA. You make a good point with former front line and middle management coming from other airlines and dragging some of that cultural baggage along with them. I would hope that Southwest has a good leadership development curriculum for newly hired managers to change the paradigm of those that were bitter.

I agree that there is much blame to go around. I believe the AMFA could be a leader in showing that IBB could break the cycle of intransigence in LMR at Southwest. Of course it takes two to participate in that process.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I said nothing about executive compensation E.

I did assume that you were referring to the union workforce when you referred to ex NWA and AA. You make a good point with former front line and middle management coming from other airlines and dragging some of that cultural baggage along with them. I would hope that Southwest has a good leadership development curriculum for newly hired managers to change the paradigm of those that were bitter.

I agree that there is much blame to go around. I believe the AMFA could be a leader in showing that IBB could break the cycle of intransigence in LMR at Southwest. Of course it takes two to participate in that process.
don't know about the rest of the company but I know at Delta on the TechOps side the NW management people were told it isn't us v them anymore. Same team, get on the bus or get out. 
more than a few have been shown the door because they still try to do things the old NW way. 

During the same week that TWU Local 556 conducted system-wide Union Meetings, we learned more details surrounding the suspensions of over 100 Members of TWU Local 555. The suspensions came as a result of TWU Local 555 Members attending regional Union Meetings to discuss their four and a half year struggle to negotiate a Tentative Agreement with Southwest Airlines.

These suspensions could not have come at a worse time; our TWU Local 555 Sisters and Brothers will be out of work during this holiday season while their Union fights the unjust discipline through the grievance process. To assist during this difficult time, your TWU Local 556 Executive Board agreed to donate to a hardship fund to support these workers and their families. We are asking TWU Local 556 Members to contribute to this fund to help ease the financial burdens of the suspended Members of TWU Local 555. All contributions will go towards helping our Sisters and Brothers stay current on rent and mortgages, and to help with basic necessities while they are out of work. No Union Member’s family should suffer for exercising their Contractual rights to attend a Union Meeting.

We must stand together in support of our Sisters and Brothers at TWU Local 555. Please show your support by contributing to the hardship fund. Contributions are non-tax deductible and can be found at: https://www.gofundme.com/twu555scalmco.

In Unity,
TWU Local 556 Executive Board

eolesen said:
Perhaps they've hired too many ex-AA, ex-NW, etc. employees who were perpetually bitter, and that's tainted the culture?...It might not be the Good Ship Lollipop, but WN still seems to have a far better working relationships than any other airline.But, that can't last forever.WN is now well into its second generation and starting its third generation of workers. The first generation became millionaires on stock options and splits.The second generation, not so much, but they had the example of the first generation's loyalty to the company.Now, all bets are off.
I'll agree with you on this one elosen. Have witnessed a completely different work ethnic between original DL personel and DL personnel brought in from "Other" carriers.
Maybe its just the few I have witnessed but it seems to be more about just streching out the day, than actually getting the work done!

Kev3188 said:
It's clearly just the alleged "few you have witnessed."

Glenn Quagmire said:
Out of all masses he has "witnessed" ... In his shop.
Keen, you two are!

Hence why I said " The few I have observed " and not "ALL" post merger employees!

Also, hate to burst your bubbles, after being employed for close to 18 years at DL, 8 of them in engine mtc. I know a little more of what goes on outside "My Shop", than you might want to admit!

For some strange reason I thought one or two of you would be offended. Oh, well.....

southwind said:
  Keen, you two are!

Hence why I said " The few I have observed " and not "ALL" post merger employees!

Also, hate to burst your bubbles, after being employed for close to 18 years at DL, 8 of them in engine mtc. I know a little more of what goes on outside "My Shop", than you might want to admit!

For some strange reason I thought one or two of you would be offended. Oh, well.....

You're PROBABLY a   R - N - R - R  !   (a RED-NECK.....Ready-Reserve)  !

Latest posts

Back