Labor Troubles-Ramp, WN Files suit.

Fellow ramp brothers and sisters,

Just wanted to let you all know that AMFA loc 11 has set up a fund raising account to help support our fellow employees to get thru the holidays during this difficult time the company has now endured upon some of you.  I don't know all the ins and outs of what is going on, but can someone give a short update on what is really going on?  What is SWA going to do about the shortage of hundreds of rampers during the busy holiday travel season?  Are they bringing in contractors?  Management being told to step up and work?  There are a lot of open ends on what is going on can someone update us with factual information please?

Good news. An agreement in principle was reached last night. 

Many thanks to AMFA 11 and many other work groups and TWU locals that contributed to the fund. 

• Banned
Southwest Airlines reached an “agreement in principle” with its ground workers union on Wednesday.
Details of the agreement with Transport Workers Union Local 555, which represents 11,000 baggage handlers and ramp workers at the Dallas-based carrier, were not released by the union or the company as the union’s board will meet next week to discuss the agreement.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/…/aviati…/sky-talk-blog/article

"Agreement in principle?" I guess we will here more after the negotiations team goes thru it. We all saw what happened with the Pilots AIP. Funny how all of a sudden the company is getting to AIP's rather quickly. Wondering if us mechanics won't see something soon?
I believe this is only on the contract. I don't think it has anything to do with the hundreds that were suspended. But, you never know if the company used the suspensions as a tool, you know, we'll bring them all back if this contract is voted in. Very dirty, but would not put it passed this new regime we now have. Glad to see the large turn out of donations for the 555 members. Keep it up guys, great job to all who helped. Look forward to an update on the AIP details...

Actually it goes to the exceutive board Tuesday. Two of the those four are on the negotiation committee. My best guess is that it'll go to a vote without recommendation.

My understanding is that the contract and the suspensions are two separate issues. Keep in mind that SWA still has a lawsuit pending against the Union for a job action. Also we were told that the best case time line that we would finish voting around March. That's about the time that the suspended agents would be returning pending anything happening sooner from the grievance process.

No other details as of now.

• Banned
They might not have handled it right, but AMFA, had to do what they had to do.

AMFA had to do what they had to do?
Yeah, they went on strike and the IAM commenced to performing struck work!
Guess union Brotherhood wasn't as tight, back then!

Sparky on the Seas said:
Actually it goes to the exceutive board Tuesday. Two of the those four are on the negotiation committee. My best guess is that it'll go to a vote without recommendation.

My understanding is that the contract and the suspensions are two separate issues. Keep in mind that SWA still has a lawsuit pending against the Union for a job action. Also we were told that the best case time line that we would finish voting around March. That's about the time that the suspended agents would be returning pending anything happening sooner from the grievance process.

No other details as of now.
Ok, thx for that.  Good luck to you guys and read it all in depth before making your minds up.  Should hear something from the the board later this week maybe.  Just FYI; Mechanics meet again with co and mediators on 5th, 6th and 7th...

• Banned
They didn't bless it, they sent it to the membership without a recommendation.

Heard money is good, sick time policy bad, and part time cap increase.

What stood out to me after a preliminary read are:

1) Pay isn't bad however there is 4 years of the rates not being compounded.

2) Bonus in lieu of retro isn't bad. its based on 6/2011 to 7/2015 earnings. it works out to a hair under 5%.

3) At first read attendance changes isn't too bad. No more Febuary roll off. 

4) Several changes to the greivence procedures. Have to look at that closer.

5) 401K match does not increase to the rest of the Company till 2019.

6) Part time cap increase will be phased in over the next three years. 

7) Can declare our present 10 "days free of the company" as paid time off days with the ability to bank them during the course off the year. Or one can keep it the same. 

I do not believe there was a big change in the sick policy.  There are a few changes in the OJI policy.  Looks like a bunch of changed in grievances and arbitration policies.  Still getting more details.

Latest posts

Back