LAX Expansion Announcement

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Tomorrow at 11am. Will at the least include LAX-HKG, LAX-SEA and LAX-PDX. I think likely others, too. 

MAH4546 said:
Tomorrow at 11am. Will at the least include LAX-HKG, LAX-SEA and LAX-PDX. I think likely others, too. 
I hope it's true.  It's not my base, but any mainline expansion would be great, west coast all that much better.

Bean

Beancounter said:
I hope it's true.  It's not my base, but any mainline expansion would be great, west coast all that much better.

Bean

Mainline expansion would indeed be great.  My bet:  PDX and SEA will be Envoy RJs.   (HKG would be, too, if they could figure out a way to do it.)

nycbusdriver said:

Mainline expansion would indeed be great.  My bet:  PDX and SEA will be Envoy RJs.   (HKG would be, too, if they could figure out a way to do it.)

Envoy does not fly to LAX except for LAXASE.

I expect SEA is mainline and PDX Compass ERJ-175s. 

I haven't heard about PDX, but both a manager and mechanic said SEA-LAX 5 flights daily mainline.  Hope they're right.  It would really be nice to see mainline doing the flying, but Envoy is still better than having Alaska do it.

Following up on the major expansion announcement last week, it’s now clear where some of the additional frequency/capacity rumored at LAX this summer are coming from.  AA is loading a series of additional frequencies on existing routes out of LAX starting in June (offset by frequency reductions on a few routes).  Specifically – BNA, FAT, LAS, MCO, RDU, RNO, SFO, SJC, SLC, SMF, STL, XNA and YYZ will all see additional frequencies this summer.  Some of these routes are seeing greater frequency than they’ve ever seen from AA, at least in recent memory – including BNA (3 daily), LAS (8), MCO (3), SFO (13) and SMF (6).  And others are seeing seasonal upgrades to restore frequencies seen intermittently in years past, including RNO (5), SJC (6), SLC (4), XNA (2) and YYZ (2).

Considering that much of the new flying announced last week will be mainline, and that by the summer the vast majority if not all Eagle flying at LAX will be on 2-class RJs, and not to mention SYD which just started and AKL and possibly HKG starting by the end of the year, it will be very interesting to see where AA’s enplanements and market share at LAX stand when 2016 is over.

As has been discussed before, it's now quite clear that AA management - both before and after the merger - said what they meant and meant what they said about LAX. AA is clearly playing to win - big time - in this market.

Some of those cities are direct swipes at Southwest, like BNA, MCO, LAS, RNO, SMF and STL. Of course, increased TPAC flights will increase demand for connecting seats to/from LAS and MCO, and perhaps some of the others.

Certainly provides some evidence to counter the oft-repeated (mythical) belief that Parker/Kirby don't like to compete against other airlines. At LAX, AA has been going after DL, UA and WN. Good to see.

Wonder if there's any chance of re-connecting SBA, SBP and MRY to LAX? All are connected to PHX, but that's a worthless connection for long-haul international passengers and high-value transcon passengers. UA continues to serve those cities from LAX, and it's odd that AA does not.

Has anyone heard of any rumors lately about an increase in head count for line maintenance at LAX ???

Looks like an IT slip up was caught this morning. IF true, looks like HKG-LAX starts September 7th. I tried to post a screen shot, however it is too big for this site. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back