LUS/AA Below wing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
bob@las-AA said:
All dayline cleaning is outsourced. What station are you in?

May be the case in your station. Is this the case system wide on the "New American"? Another issue that needs attention in JCBA negotiations. The Joint Negotiation Committee needs to look at both contracts and determine the improvements needed. I would think both contracts have good language along with language that could be improved upon going forward. IMO... This is one of the pre negotiations tasks of our Joint Committee. 

All cleaning at LAA is outsourced, but there is still some confusing language in our current contract about turn around cleaning. There may be a few stations that still do turn cleaning...not sure. All lav service in the hubs is preformed by LAA fleet service.

here in my sta we clean all CLT flights  we had been doing PHX DFW and MIA until late July    NAS does only 4 flights  PHX, DFW and MIA    we do the rest of the MIA DFW flights    We do the lavs on them however       The reason only 4 flights were taken from us pertaining to cleaning was bec our station had (may still) the worst on time turns but being short  and mgmt. doing our jobs  and (esp myself) having grievances filed for them doing our job   mgmt. answer was to go ahead and outsource the cleaning of 4 flights only  out of about 6 to mia  5 to dfw  and 2 phx turn flights     That is why I believe its a violation but I do not know for sure

robbedagain said:
here in my sta we clean all CLT flights  we had been doing PHX DFW and MIA until late July    NAS does only 4 flights  PHX, DFW and MIA    we do the rest of the MIA DFW flights    We do the lavs on them however       The reason only 4 flights were taken from us pertaining to cleaning was bec our station had (may still) the worst on time turns but being short  and mgmt. doing our jobs  and (esp myself) having grievances filed for them doing our job   mgmt. answer was to go ahead and outsource the cleaning of 4 flights only  out of about 6 to mia  5 to dfw  and 2 phx turn flights     That is why I believe its a violation but I do not know for sure

This is one of many issues that need addressed in joint talks. Securing as much represented work as we can. The trend within the industry is outsourcing below wing work where ever they can. This trend must be reversed for the sake of the members' and the unions'  future livelihoods. The "New American" is setting record profits.. The "New American" should not expect the past environment of contact negotiations, under the protection of bankruptcy, to exist in future JCBA negotiations. The Union's Negotiating Committee, and the members they represent, should realize the conditions have changed dramatically since then. No more "cost neutral" negotiations. Give up one thing to pay for another. It's time for the Fleet to enjoy our slice of the profit pie. No more concessions! No more outsourcing! Let's secure a joint contract that has neither of these. IMO... this should be the expectation and the mission of all represented below wing members, the IAM leadership and the Joint Negotiating Committee.

Remember line cleaning is still in the M&R CBA, so it's says may outsource, so if cleaning came back in house it would be a utility/cabin service not a ramp job.

agree orgac     700 I presume you mean in regards to the hubs correct?    I know we used to have maintaince (line)??  until roughly 2012 or 13 in that area 

As 700 said, cleaning on the US side has been outsourced for many years. In some stations fleet was given the work, but there is no language that actually gives us the work. In a few stations the work is mixed as in your case. In some of the hubs fleet does the lav & water, while the cleaning is done by a vendor. Given that none of the other majors have the cleaning work done in house, I seriously doubt that we will ever get the work.

700  if the work were to come in house   would utility come back into stations such as mine  or would there be language for FSA to do the job where  utility would not be?

700UW said:
But if the work came back in it would be Utility/Cabin Service Jobs, not fleet.

Unless that language disappears in a JCBA, correct? 

I could also see it being utility work where it was before, and FSA work elsewhere.

It all would depend on negotiations on who would get the work, I know AA has eliminated Cabin Service and US outsourced line cleaning.

Right. I'm just talking about any existing language that may survive the JCBA process.

That said, protecting Cabin Service/Utility work (regardless of what group performs it) never seems high on the priority list.

Kev3188 said:
Right. I'm just talking about any existing language that may survive the JCBA process.

That said, protecting Cabin Service/Utility work (regardless of what group performs it) never seems high on the priority list.

Unfortunate but very true. Cabin Service/Utility, Catering and Cargo. Many jobs lost because protecting work "never seems high on the priority list". The loss of jobs results in loss of members/numbers on the property. Reduced leverage, at future contract talks, hurts the bargaining group in the long run. Many need to realize the issue needs more consideration and a higher priority level. In the long run... you must protect existing work.   

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back