Major Weather Event

Respectuflly Lindy I disagree with you. While there have been some weather events that have missed their forecast, there have been plenty of others that were right on target. Yet we react to these events the same way time after time. I am not asking OCC or anyone to cancel flights 12-18 hours out, but to come up with an operational plan if the event does happen and allow for ample time to impliment the plan. If we cancel 3-4 hours in advance, we give reservations time to make contact with the customers PRIOR to coming to the airport. Instead our operating mind set is to continue to try and operate everything until the operation hits a brick wall and comes to a complete hault. WE PLAN FOR NOTHING UNTIL IT HAPPENS and the operation is beyond recovery. Then we have crews that time out, or overnights that are reduced beyond FAR minimums and start the next day with crew rest delays. Crew resources are at a premium, so recrewing isn't always an option.

I would prefer to see the company come up with a plan for these events and when the time comes, impliment the plan, but alas, we can't seem to plan for anything. What you may call Monday Morning Quarter Backing, I call Customer Care. I know there is a problem, I acknowledge it and try to come up with solutions that benefit the company and the customers.

Let me use yesterday as an example of where we and the ATC system failed. We pack so many flights into PHL in the morning that yesterday with just snow flurries in the morning, we were taking up to 90 minutes from push back to take off. It is my understanding that we are able to deice aircraft faster then ATC can get them airborn, so we have to slow down the deicers to make sure we don't have to send anyone back. Given these types of situations, what do you think life in PHL will be like tomorrow? If we were able to go in and selectively cancel some flights for the betterment of the rest, isn't that better then operating the entire system behind schedule?

Bottom line, we all know that there is going to be a problem, we have yet to plan for it, we won't plan for it, and we will react to it when it happens tomorrow, when the customers are already at the airport. In my book this is wrong.

PIT MTC -

It probably is the third time that I have brought this up.....and for good reason....NOTHING CHANGES! If you know that you are driving your car towards a brickwall, are you going to wait until you hit the wall to react, or are you going to try to take corrective actions before hand?

I don't want us to fail.....quite the opposite. I want us to shine. Imagine you are a customer and are scheduled to fly through PHL tomorrow. What is your impression of our airline going to be when you pushback from the gate at the upline station and then get stuck in a ground stop for PHL. Once you arrive in PHL you make it to your connecting gate to find out that it has been canceled due to the weather. You are now stuck for 3 hours until the next flight. Then next flight is delayed for 30 minutes due to late arriving equipment and when you pushback from the gate, it takes you 90 minutes to get deiced and airborn. Imagine what the experience would be like if 3 hours before your flight you were called and advised that because of weather problems in PHL your flight canceled. you make arrangements with the RES agent for a connection via PIT later that afternoon. you arrive at the airport and your trip runs very smoothly with minimal delays. What makes a bigger impression on you as the customer?

Last night in Clt, just one incident I heard of, 2 gates 1 beltloader working for both & according to the lead no shift manager to be found!!!!!!!!! Of course many other delays due to wx..

DISCLAMER:
This was heard from a clt empl......

Hope777 said:
Well Mark, looks like you called this one. PHL is at 20 per hour and is in a major ground stop. So not being at work, what did the Company do?
Hope,

Not sure where you are getting your information. Following is the weather for PHL
as of 1554z (1054EST). Looks like they are landing on 9r/35.

KPHL 261307Z 261312 05013KT 3SM -SN BR SCT020 BKN040
TEMPO 1316 1SM -SN BR OVC020
FM1600 07009KT 6SM BR OVC020
TEMPO 1620 2SM -FZDZSN
FM2000 07009KT P6SM OVC015
TEMPO 2303 4SM -FZDZSN BR OVC008
FM0300 06007KT 5SM -SNPL BR OVC008=

KPHL 261554Z 06010KT 10SM OVC048 M07/M11 A3035 RMK AO2 SLP275 T10721111

The following is what I retrieved from the ATC Command Center Web Site
regarding PHL

PHL GDP from 1300z-0259z..aar 38..avg dly 28 mins

PHL does have a ground delay program from 0800EST until 2159EST.
Avg dly is 28 minutes. Arrival rate is 38 flights per hour.

Hardly the gloom and doom you wrote.

Lindy

lindy said:
Hope,

Not sure where you are getting your information.
DEICING

ARPT AAR/ADR TIME PLAN?
ATL 68/68 1100 Y
PIT 60/60 1130 Y
PHL 20/20 1200 Y

It appears that the AAR/PR is 38

However the deicing rate is showing 20 as of 1220pm. So as the day goes on the arrivals will outpace the departures because of the deicing so the takeoff times should grow if the weather continues, which it is projected to do.

As of this writing, traffic for PHL is in a ground stop program (28 minutes to 166 minute holds), and the PHL arrival rate is down to 32/hour. By contrast, PIT is at 60/hour (10L and 10R rock, don't they?).

The entire WAS-NYC-BOS corridor is a mess.

Well according to the OIS, they were showing a rate of 20 departures per hour.....when I last checked. I should have cut a pasted it so you could see what I was looking at.

So given the above information.......what did the company do in the way of a plan of operation for today? NOTHING!

Operations in CLT yesterday were fairly smooth, until several deicing trucks broke down and put a crimp in the process. The last 2 banks of flights took up to 2 hours to get deiced. PIT wasn't at it's best last night either. Last bank in PIT took up to 2-3 hours to get deiced. Last bank of flights in DCA got caught in snow, several flights didn't make it out before curfew....But we were prepared for this event and we had a plan, right?

coachrowsey said:
Last night in Clt, just one incident I heard of, 2 gates 1 beltloader working for both & according to the lead no shift manager to be found!!!!!!!!! Of course many other delays due to wx..

DISCLAMER:
I have first hand knowledge of the conditions at CLT last evening. The ramp had about 1 inch of ice on it and the majority of the departure delays were for late arriving equipment and de-icing procedures. My flight sat at the gate with the jetway detached for 180 minutes and then after pushback, we waited almost 60 minutes to get through the car wash. Overall, the cancellations on the monitors were not as bad as they could have been. Most of the cancellations were for Express turbos and EMB-145's which don't fly very well in icing conditions. There were many reserve crews waiting in case of crew time-outs and I think the US was fairly well prepared for the conditions that were present.

Out of my home town today....all Beechcraft 1900 flights were cancelled. They only fly to Pit. Ran into one of the Pilots this evening and this is what he told me. He has to DH to Dubois tomorrow if all goes well to see what he is doing next. More bad weather is predicted for tomorow. :(

ClueByFour said:
As of this writing, traffic for PHL is in a ground stop program (28 minutes to 166 minute holds), and the PHL arrival rate is down to 32/hour. By contrast, PIT is at 60/hour (10L and 10R rock, don't they?).

The entire WAS-NYC-BOS corridor is a mess.
"The entire WAS-NYC-BOS corridor is a mess"

How many PHL-PVD/BOS pax., wish they were having a few "cold one's" on board Amtrak's ACELA EXPRESS, in the lounge car, today/tonite ????

"All Aboard" ..........

NH/BB's

PitBull - I think you are right. Must be the man with no plan. :D

Kitty - You are 100% correct. More weather forecasted for the next 2 days......and guess what.......NO PLAN!

I know that there was information available on our website about our flexible travel policy due to the weather, but did anyone see any other news bulletines? Where was our Corporate Communications Department? Working on the next round of press releases to intimidate the employees rather then telling our customer about flex travel.

I get so frustrated about this kind of crap.......it really pisses me off!!!!!!!!

We never learn!

SpinDoc said:
coachrowsey said:

DISCLAMER:
I have first hand knowledge of the conditions at CLT last evening. The ramp had about 1 inch of ice on it and the majority of the departure delays were for late arriving equipment and de-icing procedures. My flight sat at the gate with the jetway detached for 180 minutes and then after pushback, we waited almost 60 minutes to get through the car wash. Overall, the cancellations on the monitors were not as bad as they could have been. Most of the cancellations were for Express turbos and EMB-145's which don't fly very well in icing conditions. There were many reserve crews waiting in case of crew time-outs and I think the US was fairly well prepared for the conditions that were present.
Spin Doc,

Didn't you say you were NOT a U employee? How can you have first hand knowledge of anything sitting from a seat on an airplane on the runway????????

You must be Houdini....