Man Arrested After Flight Diversion

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
BOSTON (AP) -- A passenger struck a flight attendant, causing his New York-to-Paris flight to be diverted to Boston, where the man was arrested, authorities said.

American Airlines Flight 44 landed without incident shortly after 8 p.m. Wednesday at Logan International Airport, and no one was injured, Massachusetts Port Authority spokesman Phil Orlandella said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080207/flight_diverted.html?.v=1

Now, I wonder what that flight attendant did that warranted a rap in the mouth from a customer? A little too much customer experience maybe?

Blame the victim... Your comment reminds me of a Judge in Kansas City who asked a woman who had been stabbed 28 times, "What did you do to make him so mad?" The Judge is no longer on the bench.

You're right. I'm certain the FA did nothing at all to provoke the customer, who just, for no reason at all, decided to rearrange her teeth.

Sheeesh!

Are you a flight attendant...NO! You have no idea what some of the pax do on our planes. Did you ever think maybe this pax was intoxicated? You're the typical corporAAte punk!

AA will just put 1,000,000 miles in their AAvantage account and sweep it under the mat. Typical AA fashion.... :angry:

Could be. I wonder though, how drunk could these FAs get this guy so soon, the flight had just left! Unless of course, he was tanked in an airport bar and in that case well, you know the rules, he should not have been let on board per your company policy and I'm sure, some FAA safety rule.

Now, I wonder what that flight attendant did that warranted a rap in the mouth from a customer? A little too much customer experience maybe?

Sorry Wing but to accuse either the FA/crew or the passenger with out knowing anything that happened is out of line. People tend to resort to violence all to often in our society. Regardless of what the FA may or may not have done, the only reason to resort to violence is to defend ones self or defend others from physical harm. I do not care if the FA called his mother a whore. That does not justify assault.

Since we do not know what (if anything) happened, to pass judgment on either party makes no sense at this point.

A post I can agree with.

You're absolutely right. Violence is never to be condoned no matter what the incident. (We'll just set Iraq aside for now). This is most likely why I never said he was justified in doing so, I was more being inquisitive as to what could have provoked and/or brought on the entire episode in the first place. By the same token, you don't just stand up and paste someone in the mouth for nothing. So again, I agree with your post, we don't know what, if anything the FA did to bring it on.

In any event, sorry to say, this is probably the last any of us will hear of it and we'll never know what actually happened unless someone who was on that flight or the FA her/himself cares to post.

Intoxication can get past the ticket agents, security screeners, gate agents and flight attendants if it's not obvious and their choice of alcohol is an odorless one.

Although you claim not to condone battery and were merely being inquisitive, what exactly is your definition of "warranted"? Unless of course you think what the f/a "did" was lunge for him or pulled out a weapon...which usually isn't a result of too much customer experience. Possible, but not probable. Or maybe he's just a classless bully who got pissed because they didnt have his choice of meal.

Tim Wagner says suspect never hit a flight attendant:

American Airlines flight from New York to Paris was diverted to Boston after a passenger refused to cooperate with flight crew
NEW YORK, February 8, 2008 - An American Airlines flight from New York to Paris was diverted to Boston late Wednesday after a passenger refused to cooperate with flight crew, officials said.

Airline spokesman Tim Wagner said the flight carrying 136 passengers and at least seven crew made the unscheduled stop after the passenger became uncooperative around one hour into the transatlantic flight.

"This male passenger was reported as being non-compliant with flight attendant requests to sit down and remain seat-belted. He was walking back and forth in the aisle and appeared to be emotionally disturbed," Wagner said.

The plane stopped at Boston for just over an hour while the passenger was removed. The flight then continued to Paris, where it arrived two hours 45 minutes late, Wagner said.

According to Massachusetts state police, the passenger, named as French national Ansoumane Conde, was removed from the plane and transferred into the custody of immigration authorities.

A spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration arm of the Department of Homeland Security was not immediately available to explain why Conde had been detained.

Police spokesman Trooper Eric Benson said Conde was not arrested and would face no criminal charges from Massachusetts police, while Wagner played down media reports that Conde had struck a flight attendant.

"We don't have any record of that," he said.

http://www.expatica.com/fr/articles/news/U...-to-divert.html

Another example of excellent fact-checking by the media.