meltdown in PHL

The age old question is not, "What do women want?" It is how do we fix PHL.

Good ole Seth had it right when he said, "A large bomb and start over." He was probably only partially joking. Too bad it didn't happen.

The age old question is not, "What do women want?" It is how do we fix PHL.

Good ole Seth had it right when he said, "A large bomb and start over." He was probably only partially joking. Too bad it didn't happen.

Actually, Uncle Ed said it right after the walkout in the early 90's. "I need to flush that place for the last time".

He just failed to follow through

What is happening in PHL and soon in CLT is simple. Just as a Sr VP said in our little out Station, "The Company would rather employees here for a JOB not a Career". As long as that is how the Sand Castle feels, this is what they will get. I am sure SWA is not having these problems in PHL, as they are one of the HIGHEST PAID employees in the industry, if not the highest!

The biggest difference is the culture, WN treats their employees as valuable assets, unlike US who treats the employees as enemy combatants.

What is happening in PHL and soon in CLT is simple. Just as a Sr VP said in our little out Station, "The Company would rather employees here for a JOB not a Career". As long as that is how the Sand Castle feels, this is what they will get. I am sure SWA is not having these problems in PHL, as they are one of the HIGHEST PAID employees in the industry, if not the highest!

Anyone that wants to be a ramper for a career is probably not the kind of person one would want to employe anyway. And I also bet wages could be doubled tomorrow w/ little to no operational improvement.

That aside the new baggage system should help PHL a lot.

Why do you say that?

Working for an airline use to be a great opportunity, there is nothing wrong with employees who are loyal and have longevity with their company.

So are you saying airline jobs are now the same as fast food?

With junior employees it hurts the operation with training costs and lack of experience.

The knowledge the senior employees have help the operation and not hinder it, it seems to me you and ALCARLOS have a problem with older employees who have made this job their careers.

Why do you say that?

Working for an airline use to be a great opportunity, there is nothing wrong with employees who are loyal and have longevity with their company.

I am not aying that, make a careeer out of the airline or industry but not the low level entry position.
Get promotions, move into other areas etc....

A ramper at WN makes $25 an hour at topout, that wage is not a entry level wage.

Why is WN the most profitable airline over the past 30+ years?

Do you they have been profitable over 30+ years?

They are the highest % of unionized employees and the highest wage rates, seems they know exactly what they are doing.

They carry more passengers domestically then anyother airline.

Seems they have hit the nail right on the head, unlike bonehead management of the legacies.

Low skill? Guess you never worked the ramp or had any training.

Do you know they can cause a plane crash by improper loading?

Hazmat procedures?

Once again you make posts of things you don't really know about.

Anyone that wants to be a ramper for a career is probably not the kind of person one would want to employe anyway. And I also bet wages could be doubled tomorrow w/ little to no operational improvement.

That aside the new baggage system should help PHL a lot.

I know many rampers who do it for a career. They are hard working, loyal, and knowledgeable. The kind of people this airlne needs, and our customers deserve.

You, on the other hand...

I know many rampers who do it for a career. They are hard working, loyal, and knowledgeable. The kind of people this airlne needs, and our customers deserve.

Maybe someone can verify and elaborate on something a very reliable source told me yesterday.

Because of personnel shortages and massive resignations, the Philly ramp is now on mandatory overtime and the rampers are being enticed with IPODs, TV’s, gift certificates at a local grocery store, positive space travel certificates and many more things to get them to work.

Is this the result of the type of people they hire or just a mismanaged schedule?

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks

Mtnman

You, on the other hand...

I think that is kinda sad that thier own expectations are so low. No dif. IMHO than the French Frier at Mickey Ds who never wants to be a shift lead, sup, asst. mngr, Mngr or District Manager or take their exp. at some point to corporate. No they want to fry the fries for 30 years and raise a family have a house and a retirement. It just isn't smart nor reasonable to expect that.

We do have a VP that started as a ramper, we have lots of Directors & Managers that worked CS or Rez but they didn't settle, that is what I am talking about. I also understand that we need ditch diggers too and some people just may have some real limitations also, but there are way to many in this industry that think a basic job is the begging and the end of their career. I also belive that is one of the reason the industry has such a bad CS repitation in general. After 15 to 30 years being on the front line will harden anyone. Through in Seniority issues that make moving around even in the same company difficult only makes things worse. We would all be better of striving to improve our own lots in life and if we had a industry structure that encouraged that.

UPNAWAY commented - "I am not aying that, make a careeer out of the airline or industry but not the low level entry position.
Get promotions, move into other areas etc...."

Although at times it seems like we have thousands of supervisors and managers :rolleyes: , not everyone can attain that status for one reason or another, the main one being there are a finite number of openings available. So, what do the other X0,000 employees do and how long do they wait at the job to try to attain one of these super duper positions? (Also, why is there a large number of people who were managers/supervisors back in the agent field if things were so much better on the other side?) Thing that make you go, hmmmmm.... :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back