Michigan Right to Work

yes, I get it.

There have been umpteen years worth of threads about AA and DL people. Those threads speak for themselves.

I'm asking you as someone who has the ability to be a genuine leader in the airline labor movement what you are doing to improve the lot of the movement in the airline industry and also challlenging you with the reality that if you and others don't step up and make a difference, then you shouldn't be surprised when labor is relegated to the history books.

DL's issues are settled unless you can find a majority of any of the work groups willing to go for another election. AA is front and center in the attack in the attack on labor in the airline industry.

Given that you and others value the labor movement (and I support your desire to do so), what are you tangibly doing to protect labor jobs?

I've read for 10 years about the beliefs of you and others. It's time for action.

Or in more common vernacular " put up or shut up"

Been "active" for a long time now. Politically, socially, and in the workplace. I do not owe you or anyone else a detailed explanation of what my activities entail.

What I *don't* do is just sit on the sidelines and resign myself to the current situation. That's your domain.

BTW, DL's workforce is anything but "settled," especially IFS & ACS.

Kev said:

Where is this magical station, and how can I bid into it???

It's the smaller stations. Most are outsourced now. But before if station A had 100 flights a day, and Dinky Station B had 5, well who does more work for same pay.

This was explained to me by a former AA employee and it applied to all airlines in my area at the time.

Kev said:

Where is this magical station, and how can I bid into it???

It's the smaller stations. Most are outsourced now. But before if station A had 100 flights a day, and Dinky Station B had 5, well who does more work for same pay.

This was explained to me by a former AA employee and it applied to all airlines in my area at the time.

Dinky Station B of course because a delay, cancellation , reroutes broken airplanes, broken gnd equipment or late arrival has to be dealt with by a smaller staff wereas a hub has tons of resources. If staff sicks out in an small station, someone else has to work a half or double shift.

I have worked hub and an out station.

Been "active" for a long time now. Politically, socially, and in the workplace. I do not owe you or anyone else a detailed explanation of what my activities entail.

What I *don't* do is just sit on the sidelines and resign myself to the current situation. That's your domain.

BTW, DL's workforce is anything but "settled," especially IFS & ACS.

I just had an incredibly day... went to graduation ceremonies for 900 graduates from one of the nation's best engineering universities.
Then spent the afternoon with the family of a man who actively worked at his chosen profession and succeeded at what he did for over 2/3 of a century, working in a half dozen countries.

The two events couldn't have been more striking - and it highlights that the vast majority of us live in the "inbetween" years when we have the opportunity to make a mark on the world.

The graduates were challenged to do it; the family celebrated why the guy who was honored at the service did.

I didn't join this forum to celebrate the downfall of the labor movement.
But every time I point out that the labor movement is failing and challenge the people of this forum to actually do something about the situatino they face, they all come out w/ loaded weapons ready to shoot down the messenger - as if I am the only one who seems to be able to see the labor situation in the US.

My challenge to you is to act. Do it decisively and do it well.

If you find it offensive that people challenge you to demonstrate what you are doing (and that is a collective you), then perhaps you aren't doing enough.

I WANT you (collectively) to succeed at what you do.

The government leaders in MI are acting because they recognize that labor is breathing its last gap and they are happy to do their part to reduce the number of breaths left to the smallest number possible.

Tout your accomplishments. Work together. But succeed at what you do.

He will eventually convince you what is good for you and your family. :unsure:

Ha!

The line station.

I've worked in both. The small ones keep moving much more than in a hub -even if the hub is "rolled"- and that doesn't even speak to the necessary specialization that occurs in a hub vs. a line station.

Yep.

Saw that on another site a couple of days ago. I 'spose he had no choice but to say something, given that the raw footage of the incident had gone viral (the one he wanted the world to see had been edited to remove his initiating of things)...

I just had an incredibly day...

Sounds lovely.

But every time I point out that the labor movement is failing and challenge the people of this forum to actually do something about the situatino they face, they all come out w/ loaded weapons ready to shoot down the messenger - as if I am the only one who seems to be able to see the labor situation in the US.

An absolutely unecessary-and tasteless- allusion, and one I reject out of hand.

If you find it offensive that people challenge you to demonstrate what you are doing (and that is a collective you), then perhaps you aren't doing enough.

No, I find it annoying that you expect people to answer to you. Like I said, I don't owe you-or anyone else- an explanation of what I do day in/day out.

The government leaders in MI are acting because they recognize that labor is breathing its last gap and they are happy to do their part to reduce the number of breaths left to the smallest number possible.

Another murderous analogy. WTF?

Sounds lovely.

An absolutely unecessary-and tasteless- allusion (sic), and one I reject out of hand.

No, I find it annoying that you expect people to answer to you. Like I said, I don't owe you-or anyone else- an explanation of what I do day in/day out.

Another murderous analogy. WTF?
I've used the analogies before...

I expect no one to report to me.

I do expect people to back up their convictions w/ actions - or acknowledge that they are really just blowing hot air.

Maybe I was mistaken when I joined this forum believing there were people who actually would do something about the airline labor situation.

instead, I have watched people tearing each other down based on their union affiliations - and in the meantime the airline mgmts that most of you all seem to detest, seem to have no problem continuing to reduce union ranks - on a faster rate of decrease than what is happening in the non-airline private sector.

So tell me, should I expect that this forum is really just about a bunch of people venting but who really don't expect to have any impact?

or are their people who really are willing to stick their neck out for the labor movement - not just swap members between unions?

The labor movement doesn't need people blowing hot air.

It needs fire in the belly.

You can share it anywhere you like... but whatever secret actions you choose to take should produce fruit which any of use should be able to see.

The obvious reality is that the labor movement in the United States is in freefall and all I get on here is people fighting between themselves about which union is better off - while the total number of union members in the country and in the airline industry continues to decline.

You decry that big business continues to gain at the expense of labor - but what are you doing about it or adapting to it?

Now that government is itself directly attacking labor, should we expect that labor's downfall will only be hastened?

You can argue definitions and vocabulary but you can't argue against the state of labor in the US and the trajectory it is on; even w/o all of the assaults on labor from government and big business, the natural rate of attrition is accelerating as older workers who are labor's largest stronghold will retire in the next few years and younger workers are not joining at rates 1/3 of the current level of unionization in the private sector in the US.

Tell me why I should not liken the labor movement in the US to the Titanic. I'm more than open to hear some evidence - any evidence - as to how people on this forum are making a difference.

And if they are making a difference, the evidence should be obvious whether you want to admit to it or not.

And if you don't want to admit what you (collectively) are doing, then you won't be surprised when I continue to mention the horrid state of labor's decline - and the apparent inability of anyone to stem the tide.

Back