Missed Connecting flight from LA on May 27th

I can't believe somebody else on this board has even heard of Moosic, much less been there. That alone deserves some compensation!!! :lol:

I would certainly try sending US a complaint letter. If it were just a late arrival, you probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but the fact that you sat for 20 minutes waiting to get tugged to the gate, IMO, is something which was within US's control. I am 98% certain that you will not get reimbursed. More likely, you will get a $50 travel voucher (if anything at all) and a form letter apology.

US has been very strict about on-time departures, so I am not surprised that they didn't hold the plane for you. On the other hand, the last flights of the night really should be held in these situations.

If I had been in your position, I probably would have done the exact same thing, rather than getting up super early to take the first flight to AVP, and having to deal with checking in again......and it probably took less time overall. Look at the bright side, though: At least Moosic is only a 2-hour drive from PHL, so you had the option to rent a car. Good luck!

There were many other passengers that missed connections due to the delay getting tugged in. I estimate at least 30 people were on the customer service line to get re-booked at 11 PM. There aren't many choices, you either sleep in airport or rent a way over priced hotel room (if you can find one on Memorial Day weekend) or find another way to get to your destination. Whatever choice I made was going to be a major inconvenience for just a few minutes.

My US Airways flight 1416 landed from LAX on time to PHL On May 27th, but we had to wait for crew to bring our plane. This added at least 20 minutes onto disembarkation time. By the time I got to my connecting gate flight 3866 (a very long walk and a shuttle away) the flight was closed (the plane was there) but I was not allowed to board the flight. It was already past 10 PM, and there weren't any flights available until the early morning. What would you do, sleep in the airport, rent a hotel room, or rent a car and drive 2 hours to a hotel room that you had prepaid for already?

I decided to forego waiting on a customer service line that was at minimum an hour wait (many other passengers missed their connecting flights as well) and went to the rental car company.

3 Hours and nearly $200.00 later I am at my destination Moosic, PA in the middle of the night, and made it to my nieces Graduation the next morning.

After 3 letters and responses from US Airways customer service I have not received an apology, nor any compensation for my trouble. At minimum, I was hoping for a voucher for a flight, or reimbursement for my rental car expense. If they had just let me on the flight all of these negative letters, stress and financial hardship could have been avoided.

What do I do next? Any Ideas, can anyone help, offer suggestions?
Thanks
Dee McGuire

Further, I appreciate you all adding some information and listening. That alone makes me feel better!

I booked this flight to see my Niece Graduate from College. B) I am unemployed and quite frankly could not afford the ticket, but wanted so much to be there for this very happy occasion. My ticket was very reasonable at less than $300.00 round trip, however I added another $200.00 to the cost of the trip with the car rental and fuel expenses. I really cant afford to pay the bill when it comes from the credit card company. I have to figure out where I will get the money. :angry:

There aren't many choices, you either sleep in airport or rent a way over priced hotel room (if you can find one on Memorial Day weekend) or find another way to get to your destination.

I don't know if the first flight to your destination the next morning would have gotten you there in time or had available seats, but FWIW if you had waited in the customer service line US should have given you a voucher for a hotel room since you were at a connecting point. Maybe something to tuck away for future use.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
After 3 letters and responses from US Airways customer service I have not received an apology, nor any compensation for my trouble. At minimum, I was hoping for a voucher for a flight, or reimbursement for my rental car expense. If they had just let me on the flight all of these negative letters, stress and financial hardship could have been avoided.

What do I do next? Any Ideas, can anyone help, offer suggestions?
Thanks
Dee McGuire

Once again, Piney Bob, Mr Chairman saves the day. So, Mr Important who are those friends in high places? A gate agent in Philly? You were on the right track with your suggestions to help this passenger but your ego got in the way of the facts. The HQ is in Tempe, AZ in case you forgot. You are not a US Airways employee, I think this is best handled by the company. Don't you? Take the weekend off and go to the Jersey shore. You really need to get out of that lonely dark room with your imaginary friends in high places.

US Airways
Attn: Customer Relations
4000 E Sky Harbor Blvd
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Fax: 480-693-2300

Doesn't seem like the company has done crap....but a former customer is willing to step up and offer to help someone that needs assistance... Also, why dont you use board courtesy and use people's proper board name, it really does make you look like a child...

Reactions: 2 people
The weather was clear, and we did land on time. Just waited for crew to bring us in.

Sounds from your description like a crew scheduling issue which was within US's control. Your best shot at getting some form of compensation is to work off-line with SparrowHawk. He has had a pretty decent success rate of getting past the Customer Relations runaround, and at least has gotten some straight answers. Admittedly, not every answer is the one we want to hear, but at least it's a straight answer.

Now, if US were really on the ball, they would have had somebody meet the LAX flight at the gate, with re-booking confirmations and hotel or rental car vouchers to hand to the mis-connects as they were de-planing. Leaving customers stranded at 11PM at PHL when they were unable to produce ample personnel to tug an aircraft to the gate is simply inexcusable. I really wish that we could go back to the days of holding the last flight of the day to avoid these types of customer service breakdowns.

Well sports fans the correspondence has been e-mailed at 12:41PM EDT. Let's see what transpires. If the OP gives permission I shall publish the end result.

Once again, Piney Bob, Mr Chairman saves the day. So, Mr Important who are those friends in high places? A gate agent in Philly? You were on the right track with your suggestions to help this passenger but your ego got in the way of the facts. The HQ is in Tempe, AZ in case you forgot. You are not a US Airways employee, I think this is best handled by the company. Don't you? Take the weekend off and go to the Jersey shore. You really need to get out of that lonely dark room with your imaginary friends in high places.

US Airways
Attn: Customer Relations
4000 E Sky Harbor Blvd
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Fax: 480-693-2300

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? A few things to clarify

Prior to my offering assistance there was an e-mail exchange between Customer Relations that consisted of a total of 5 e-mails, 2 from US and 3 from the customer. The customer is frustrated and rightfully so.

You're correct I'm NOT a US Airways employee, (Insert Snarky remark here)

If it were best handled by the company then US Airways wouldn't be leading the league in Customer Complaints to the DOT for the last 8 years now would they?

Friends in high places? There is a condition for me working with them and that is names are NEVER revealed. So if you want their names you have to offer me something of greater value in return. Funny thing CactusSnappyMcScratchy, I never used these contacts for personal gain only for the customer. Ya try to do right then a jackass like you comes along and makes me wonder why I bother.

The Jersey Shore is roughly 1,400 miles away. If you would have actually either bothered to read or comprehend what I wrote I live in the upper midwest and this PineyBob character lives in Jersey according to you?

Reactions: 3 people
Just a heads up as to where we are on this exotic adventure.

I don’t think so. I have someone looking at it and will get back to you (or her) shortly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:07 AM
To: Big Shot @ US Airways
Subject: Follow-up with Dee Dee Mguire

xxxx,

Do you need any more information from our Ms Mcguire?

Bob

If a passenger decides to rent a car that will be on his/her decision. I do not believe there are any airlines that will reinburse a pax for his/her car rental. It's just not going to happen.

If a passenger decides to rent a car that will be on his/her decision. I do not believe there are any airlines that will reinburse a pax for his/her car rental. It's just not going to happen.

AGREED!

US is compensating her, they have been playing telephone tag. Dee Dee will update us.

GREAT NEWS, Thanks to help from Bob, I received 2 phone calls from US Airways Customer Service and a letter containing $100.00 Travel Voucher!

I cannot believe it....After further investigation they realized that my flight was "late".

So now I am satisfied that they acknowledged their mistake, and offered some compensation.

Thank you Bob, it would not have happened without your intervention.

I am very happy!

Regards,

Dee Dee McGuire

Reactions: 3 people