New AA AML in service. Your opinion or input.

1AA

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Finally the new AML went into service. What do you guys think about the whole new format? Post your comments on what you like or hate about it. All who use it including flight crews are encouraged to comment. Thanks. http://youtu.be/trYdffih5yI

Nice to get away from that stupid AWA "one write-up per page" logbook.

The downside....the new AML is so thick it is a hassle putting it in the holder because it no longer simply slips in of its own accord.  One must delicately and accurately line it up.  It's not easy to do from the front seats.

Did the company overlook the sign off for the AMT on the new logbook?
The company, the TWU and the FAA always insist on signing for your own work.
Unfortunately the sign off is for one AMT for the work done in the sign off column.
So what happens if two AMT's replace a captains seat on a turn around? Only room for one signature in the logbook. Same goes for similar turn around jobs like tire changes. Remember I am referring to a turn not a overnight where a work package is assigned to the aircraft.

It's a piece of garbage! Pages pulling out (ring holes tearing) after only about a week in use. Rings opening when stowing the logbook in the vertical storage bin and contents spilling all over the place when taking logbook out of the bin. Made a simple book (AA) more complicated with all of the extra blocks. I could go on and on.

Reactions: 3 people
1AA said:
Did the company overlook the sign off for the AMT on the new logbook?
The company, the TWU and the FAA always insist on signing for your own work.
Unfortunately the sign off is for one AMT for the work done in the sign off column.
So what happens if two AMT's replace a captains seat on a turn around? Only room for one signature in the logbook. Same goes for similar turn around jobs like tire changes. Remember I am referring to a turn not a overnight where a work package is assigned to the aircraft.

I believe additional sign offs are allowed in the corrective action block.

Sucks. Too slippery to use as a tray table. Too huge to open it up in cockpit. Heavy, but not heavy duty.
When enough of us get OJI for pulling our backs/necks out trying to handle this thing, maybe they'll change it.
Cheers.

Slopoke said:
It's a piece of garbage! Pages pulling out (ring holes tearing) after only about a week in use. Rings opening when stowing the logbook in the vertical storage bin and contents spilling all over the place when taking logbook out of the bin. Made a simple book (AA) more complicated with all of the extra blocks. I could go on and on.

Having never used, nor even seen, the "simple" AA book, I assumed that AA had used this monstrosity all along.  What happened to simply using the procedures of the larger carrier in the merger and moving on?  I think the cutesie term is "adopt and go."

So then, this logbook is a new thing to both LAA and LUS operations?  In that case, it is really stupid and cumbersome on so many levels.  When they start falling apart, I will simply let the pieces lay on the cockpit floor, write it up and move on.  The only people who may get it changed are the mechanics complaining about it.  

Reactions: 1 person
nycbusdriver said:

Having never used, nor even seen, the "simple" AA book, I assumed that AA had used this monstrosity all along.  What happened to simply using the procedures of the larger carrier in the merger and moving on?  I think the cutesie term is "adopt and go."

So then, this logbook is a new thing to both LAA and LUS operations?  In that case, it is really stupid and cumbersome on so many levels.  When they start falling apart, I will simply let the pieces lay on the cockpit floor, write it up and move on.  The only people who may get it changed are the mechanics complaining about it.  

Your mommy doesn't work here to clean up after you.

Reactions: 3 people
nycbusdriver said:

It's my opinion that the LAA logbook is a joke. (Flame suit on).

It reminds my of a steno's note pad that was just thrown in the cockpit as an afterthought.  You can't figure anything out, past maintenance history wise, from it.  It's seems to just be a jumble of scribble and signatures.

The new logbook setup, that being said, is a terrible joke designed by the cubicle boys with seemingly no input from the Pilots or Mechanics in the field.  It reminds me of the PSK or LSK filled with just a spare roll of toilet paper or paper towels, but yet it takes up a entire overhead to store it.  Just like the new logbooks.

On the other hand, the new logbook looks to be a somewhat refined edition of what we have been using for many years.  It very similar to the books of Allegheny, and USAir, with the multiple write ups per page. And another huge difference is that now the LAA Mechanic's have to enter their own data into the computer instead of a Records Cleark enterting the logbook info.

The only issue I see so far, other than the size, is the although each page has 3 MIC numbers for 3 write ups, there is only one check box (upper right corner) to use to indicate that the data entry (SAFE) was completed. The problem arises when one person does an item, the next person does another and you're not sure if it been entered into the computer.  That's why you see only one write up per page with 2 unused MIC numbers.

But don't worry, as soon as you learn the new book, especially the American people, sometime in the near future, after SOC, you can forget everything you learned as we go to the electronic logbook like United.  About the only paper you'll see in the cockpit, will be the release and a paper MIC sheet.

Yeah, that thing is a monster. I carried a couple of them around today delivering airplanes from the hangar to the terminal. I guess as with anything new we will just have to get used to it. I`m not a fan of having to take the extra step of entering the corrective action into SAFE as well. Again just something new. As a prior poster stated, we will probably just get used to this and then switch out to electronic logbooks!

I still can't believe the log book isn't electronic.  Easier to use, 50-75% lighter, 50-75% less room to store, MC could be tied in directly once the Crew added an entry and they would be notified instantly of an incoming problem and have maint ready and prepared.

Put a Microsoft Surface in every airplane and lets get on with the electronic logbook. They wasted enough money on those asinine tablets which if we don't use them we are ordered to sign in to one so it appears they are being used. What a waste of money who's idea was that anyway. If the crew chief needs to assign me he knows how to contact me and its not by LMO....

By the way the new log book sucks its to big. They should have left the legacy AA book but incorporated SAFE into the old size book
JMHO