New Aircraft Order

Just what we need...Another fleet type in the mix.

Interesting sidebar: VP Bill Lentsch was in town on a "Heartland" visit yesterday. While doing a meet and greet with the masses, he asked if "morale can ever be recovered." He listened to the answers, and then the next words out of his mouth were "you know, this would make a great Compass city."

P.S. I'd like my share of the concessions to go toward one of the new A330's slated for delivery instead.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/061005/b1005110.html

Bombardier receives billion-dollar order from Northwest Airlines

TORONTO (CP) - Bombardier Inc. has received an order for 36 CRJ900 regional commercial jets from Northwest Airlines and possibly an additional 96 planes, in a deal that could be worth up to US$5.18 billion.

Northwest Airlines is operating under bankruptcy protection and Bombardier said the deal is conditional on Northwest getting court approval.

The initial order for the 36 planes is valued at US$1.35 billion at list price - although airlines often obtain discounts for large orders. If all 132 planes are ordered, the list-price value of the deal could rise to $5.18 billion, Bombardier said.

Northwest split its order for new aircraft between Bombardier and its Brazilian rival Embraer, which took an order for 36 Embraer 175 aircraft, plus options for 136 additional planes.

The plane orders were widely expected as Northwest has been looking to revamp the regional flying currently handled by Mesaba Aviation Inc. and Pinnacle Airlines Corp. Northwest is also seeking approval to start its own regional subsidiary, called Compass.

Bombardier's 90-seat planes will have a dual-class configuration with 12 first-class and 64 economy class seats, Bombardier Aerospace said.

"Today's order builds on an established relationship with Bombardier and will provide our customers with a comfortable and efficient flight experience," Doug Steenland, Northwest president and chief executive, said in a release Thursday.

Northwest is the 10th customer for the CRJ900 aircraft since the aircraft was introduced in 2003, Bombardier said.

As of July 31, 2006, Bombardier had firm orders for 102 of the CRJ900 airliner with 59 delivered. It had 1,449 orders for the CRJ family of regional jets.

Prior to the announcement, Bombardier shares rose 28 cents, or 7.8 per cent, to C$3.87 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

I don't know what the price tag will be for the Embraers, but I would think that it would be about the same as for the CRJs. Thanks for your concessions indeed! :down: :down:

This is orchestrated by the same puppet master...Neil Cohen :rolleyes:

He never met a contract he coudn't abrogate.... :down:

except his:

Look here :blink:
lets see... we were paying 60% of Mesaba's gas bill in agreement to have their planes painted with our logo.... what else.... then when we went bk they went bk...... oh dear, now we get our own planes. Other airlines did the same thing and failed. I think there's some money being exchanged behind the scenes somewhere.

from the article...
....The airline announced that it placed firm orders for 36 Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet (CRJ) 900s and 36 Embraer 175s that will equip Northwest with modern aircraft that offer customers a comfortable travel experience, allow the carrier to pursue growth opportunities in important markets, including in the Heartland of the U.S., and provide Northwest with improved aircraft economics...

I've flown a lot of miles in the seats on a CRJ and if this is Dougies idea of a "comfortable travel experience", he needs to sit his butt in one for a flight. They are the absolute most UN-comfortable seats in ANY aircraft. Another brilliant decision...customers with their heads banging on the ceilings and their butts saddle sore. But wait...read the last sentence...improved aircraft economics. The bottom line folks. No matter how they spin it its ALL about the money.

can you say mid titancic partII the sequeal continues
boneheads who run the airline just dont listen

I've flown a lot of miles in the seats on a CRJ and if this is Dougies idea of a "comfortable travel experience", he needs to sit his butt in one for a flight. They are the absolute most UN-comfortable seats in ANY aircraft.

Amen.

Another brilliant decision...customers with their heads banging on the ceilings and their butts saddle sore. But wait...read the last sentence...improved aircraft economics. The bottom line folks. No matter how they spin it its ALL about the money.

Speaking of economics, I'm still waiting to hear the rationale of adding YET ANOTHER A/C type to the fleet (the EMB A/C). Seems to me that they're more or less equivalent as far as the mission(s) they're intended for, so what gives?

Also, not for nothing, but it takes more manpower to "work" a CRJ than it does an A319.....

Back