Northwest In Bk

It is my understanding that the NMB decision as to who belongs in the “mechanics and related “classification does not apply uniformly throughout the industry.
When a union files for election, the NMB decides who belongs and can vote after it reviews the company’s and incumbent union challenges, plus any challenges from the union asking for the election.
This process can result (and correct me if I am wrong here) in having different classifications belonging to the “mechanics and related “class at different companies.

aafsc,Sep 27 2005, 08:01 AM]
Bob, I agree with most of your post here. I have never said the TWU was perfect and in fact was a victim in 1992. One of the reasons AMFA gives for the strike is that they were protecting the jobs of 800 cleaners and custodians but they were also protecting, as they should, the jobs of the 2520 A@Ps that NW wants to do away with also ; leaving just 1080 A@Ps. At the last round of negotiations, AMFA agreed to the 1080 A@P number and the wage rate NW wants to pay. They could not agree on work rules and weeks of severence (I posted a link in another thread to back this up). I would not view this as so much as selling out the non-A&Ps but rather a sign AMFA's desperation.

Ok I guess that you saw this already:
Actually it was a negotiating position taken to prove a point - that even if AMFA agreed to virtually every NWA proposal, NWA would still find a way to avoid reaching an agreement. Up until that session, the NMB had been trying to maintain the pretense that actual negotiations were occurring but NWA's refusal to move at all from their position showed what a farce the last eight months of negotiations had been. AMFA took those things that you say they "agreed to" off the table when they left.

So one of the TWU claims against AMFA have been proven to be untrue by this strike.

TWU claim-"Amfa seeks to be a line mechanics union only". AMFA went on strike to protect its cleaners, custodians and OH mechanics. If they wanted to be a line mechanics only union they couls have done so by agreeing to the contract without further ratification like Jim Little did.

I have no problem with an A&P only organization, like the pilots and F/As. In fact, I can't see why the government put the cleaners and custodians with the A&Ps. You would think that they have more in common with the ramp because they have no license. I think you and the rest at AA should have had the vote to go to AMFA if you wanted. But my problem with AMFA is their rhetoric when they trash talk and demean other groups and claim that they can "go it alone" and that they do not need anyone else to shut it down and then turn around and cry and complain when NW is still able to fly as the other unions go to work.

OK are you talking about AMFA, the organization or supporteres of AMFA who are stuck in unions that they dont want to belong to? I have always told my fellow mechanics not to trash talk other departments and defended their right to seek a livable wage.

AMFA has repeatedly stated that they woiuld honor other unions picket lines despite their differences. However not only is the IAM crossing the picket lines but they are doing struck work, you agree with this?

If you claim to be able to shut it down all by yourself and are unable, it makes no sense to curse those who you claim that you never needed in the first place.

So when the pilots cross the baggage handlers pickets you will think that is okay?

In closing, I more than agree with your assessment with regards to the salaries of the union officers. They should have been made to take large pay reductions just as those who pay their salaries did. Those individuals getting raises are the same ones that complain about the airline CEOs getting pay raises and bonuses when the airlines lose money and go bk. In reality, they are no different.

They are worse. They have a fiduciary reponsibility to us, the company executives do not. Not only did they give themselves raises but they maximized benifit cuts to preserve as much of their illegal kickbacks from the company.

Latest posts

Back