New line maint stations opening

Kev3188 said:
We've been down this road before. If a job in any given city no longer exists, it's gone. If the person decides not to chase their job, they've lost it. You can call it a structural layoff (and let's get real here; the company is banking on a certain percentage of people either taking an EO, retiring, or taking the furlough...) or you can argue that they had a chance to move to EWR or God-knows-where. I'm sure the people in ANC cargo were thrilled at the thought of uprooting to ATL instead of being able to bid across the airfield to the ANC ramp. Thrilled.

In the end, it doesn't matter; that position in that station no longer exists.
but again how is that any different than what any other airline offers? If it isn't, then let's just call them both the same thing.

Telling someone is put on a recall list so they can try to get a job back in the same city where they were laid off because of a hub closure doesn't strike me as terribly logical.

And correct me if I am wrong but furloughed personnel cannot receive separation payments/retirement etc. You cannot be both furloughed and accept severance. DL offers a transfer or severance. There is no expectation that something might come up in the future. Make your call now based on the current situation.

Why anyone would want to get struck twice by lightning is beyond me.

We aren't talking about other airlines, once again you deflect and not stick to the topic at hand.

You stated Delta has not laid anyone off since the merger, that's a lie.

People in MEM, MSP, CVG, DTW, ANC and who knows where else had had people laid off.

Reactions: 1 person
no, it is not a lie. DL has offered transfer positions where they have cut their presence in one city.

It is absolutely relevant regarding what other airlines have done - and it is precisely why DL employees aren't interested in unions. DL employees have NOT been subjected to anything worse than what any other airline has done, despite your repeated efforts to try to convince the world otherwise.

Most significantly, going forward, several of DL's peer airlines will have no choice but to cut personnel based on flawed strategic planning that will impact their personnel.
It is precisely because of the likely layoffs in the industry that the labor movement is gunning to try to gain new members before the cuts at other airlines start kicking in.

Stop playing games.

If someone decided or couldnt move did Delta keep them employed in MSP, ANC, MEM, CVG, or DTW?

Tell the truth for once.

This is about Delta, not anyone else.

So when are you gonna stop with the BS and admit Delta has laid off employees after the merger?

Did everyone at NW HDQ get offered a job?

this is an accurate assessment. If you want to call it a layoff, go for it. But it is no different from what has happened in the airline industry for years.

It is also no different than what has happened at other airlines.

The only difference is that DL HAS allowed employees to transfer to other cities. There were many, many ACS employees who spent time in Res after 7.5. Other airlines don't offer interdepartmental transfers.

Kev3188 said:
We've been down this road before. If a job in any given city no longer exists, it's gone. If the person decides not to chase their job, they've lost it. You can call it a structural layoff (and let's get real here; the company is banking on a certain percentage of people either taking an EO, retiring, or taking the furlough...) or you can argue that they had a chance to move to EWR or God-knows-where. I'm sure the people in ANC cargo were thrilled at the thought of uprooting to ATL instead of being able to bid across the airfield to the ANC ramp. Thrilled.

In the end, it doesn't matter; that position in that station no longer exists.

Semantics, its still a layoff, and you said Delta hasnt laid anyone off since the merger, thats a lie.

WorldTraveler said:
It is precisely because of the likely layoffs in the industry that the labor movement is gunning to try to gain new members before the cuts at other airlines start kicking in.
You still have it backwards...

WorldTraveler said:
this is an accurate assessment. If you want to call it a layoff, go for it.
Good. Now can we count on you to stop claiming otherwise?

The only difference is that DL HAS allowed employees to transfer to other cities.
...And other carriers had CBAs that allowed them to exercise their seniority, granted access to an orderly process, afforded recall rights, and so on.

But, gosh; isn't nice that DL "allowed" people to transfer to places dictated to them? What a deal!

isn't it nice that the CBAs at other airlines didn't provide the opportunity to transfer to other depts in the same city?

I haven't seen an answer to the question about being furloughed and receiving termination pay at other carriers.

There is a whole lot more fair about being honest enough to say you likely won't be hired again and giving you a check than to leave false hope that likely will result in missing out on the financial help that is needed in a transition.

I can accept the semantics you want to use... as long as you admit that this type of thing has been the norm.

And it will happen with far greater frequency as the two other megamergers try to make themselves work against major structural and strategic flaws that do not face DL

and I have it right.... the labor movement will continue to face losses and are working double time to get DL employees to keep their machine moving.

Of course they're real. You just can't seem to grasp (seewhatIdidthere?) that it's DL employees working to resecure representation, and not the other way around.

Latest posts