new routes out of LAX

thank you for those clarifications.

apparently AA has decided they must react or DL will be in all of the major north south routes on the west coast.

It is also notable that LAX-YVR is one of AS' top markets so added capacity from anyone will negatively impact AS.

I truly doubt AA decided to "react" to Delta operating LAXYVR for two weeks.

Vancouver is an important entertainment industry market; Air Canada switched it to Rogue upsetting a lot of industry people; and AA dominates entertainment industry traffic from LA. No brainer.

perhaps... but it doesn't change that DL is in the top markets up and down the west coast and most of them are top AS markets.

If AA jumps in and adds its own flights, it only does the same thing that DL has already done to AS.

btw, did you see the article on the DL forum about how DL has been able to 'get away' with adding so much capacity into other carriers' markets and why it has helped DL's financials?

standing up for your key markets is absolutely necessary to ensure key industry revenue.

the west coast is becoming very competitive again and AA has the choice of maintaining a partnership with AS in which there is no revenue sharing because it is not permitted by the US government or AS is hurt if AA adds its ow flights into key markets.

what AC did or didn't do doesn't change that dynamic

I doubt AA will be dealing with AS in the same way that DL has.

That's why it wouldn't surprise me to see AS eventually place their code on the AA LAX-YVR flights, as well as LAX-YEG.

given that AS operates the route with multiple 737s per day, I'm not sure what advantage they see in codesharing on AA's single large RJ flight.

the real question is why AA isn't content to codeshare on AS' multiple mainline flights in the market.

LAXYVR will be twice daily. I personally think this market will be a big winner and go to triple daily soon enough.

It's the fourth largest U.S.-Canada local market after New York-Toronto, Miami-Toronto and Miami-Montreal, and it's in excess of 850 PDEW, far larger than most domestic markets AA flies from LAX, and average fares are decent for the length of flight ($350-$450 for 1,000 miles).

May be off topic a tad bit..but I found out last weekend that AA is flying DFW-BOI now. I've been having to fly TUL-DFW-SLC where I'd have to rent a car to drive to Boise.

To add to the above post (because editing in mobile mode on this site blows).. but I also found out that there's a LAX-BOI route now. Is this new due to the merger?

not sure if its due to the merger as US has been doing PHX BOI for quite a long while now    there could be pretty good traffic and or cargo btwn LAX and BOI

LAXYVR will be twice daily. I personally think this market will be a big winner and go to triple daily soon enough.

It's the fourth largest U.S.-Canada local market after New York-Toronto, Miami-Toronto and Miami-Montreal, and it's in excess of 850 PDEW, far larger than most domestic markets AA flies from LAX, and average fares are decent for the length of flight ($350-$450 for 1,000 miles).

of course it is a large market.... it is also one of AS' largest markets on its system based on local passengers.

The question is why AA needs to put its own metal (or a regional partner) when AS is in there.

If AA really wants to develop its relationship with AS, adding capacity into one of AS' key markets is nothing different from what DL is doing. At least at LAX, DL is adding service to nearly all of the key north-south markets from LAX so DL's additions are targeted at anyone who flies them while from SEA DL can use the justification of a hub. the key north-south markets from LAX which AA doesn't serve are AS markets.

To add to the above post (because editing in mobile mode on this site blows).. but I also found out that there's a LAX-BOI route now. Is this new due to the merger?
AA has flown to the upper mountain states for some time.

DFW makes sense because flying all the way to PHX and then north is out of the way for much of the country. DFW is for major parts but more viable from the south and southeast.

Without a mountain hub or having to compete from ORD where UA also has interests in the region and against DL which has a MSP hub which serves many of the same markets, DFW is as good as AA will be able to serve the region.

Latest posts

Back