New Spirit Airlines Jets? - Boeing 717 / 717-300?

k2air

Feb 24, 2004
Spirit Airlines currently flies 32 MD-80 family contract. Spirit recently announced funding for new aircraft - up to 60 over the next five years. -- Perhaps the Boeing 717 is just the right fit since it is the successor to the MD80 family; plus Spirit might be the right candidate to launch the 717-300. What do you think?

The 717 family is too small and doesn't have the range for Spirit's mission. The do some 4-5 hour stages on the 80 like DTW-LAX and DEN-FLL, and run them in an two-class config of about 150 seats. The likely new fleet will be the 737-700/800/900 or the A319/320/321 family. Either have the requisite mission capability, and they could go with a mix of sizes while retaining crew and parts commonality. Spirit originally started with DC-9-30 and -50 series. The MD80 was a common type with the DC-9 and was cheap on the used market by the time Spirit put them into service in the mid 90's. All of Spirit's planes are teh earlier MD-81 and MD-82 with steam gauge cockpits.

If the plan is truly for a fleet overhaul, I'd expect wholesale change..

..CT

I think that if Spirit goes new, it will upgrade to a new type of plane. I believe that it will be the 737-800 or the A320. It will be a lot of money either way and I am not sure that they want to do that. Maybe look for them to acquire some 757s.
Just my thoughts........

- Aside from the 737NG, Airbus or 757 situation; does anyone think Boeing will have a chance with the launch of the 717-300? This MD80/90 family successor has been quite a valuable 'fleet workhorse' for American, Delta, and Alaska Airlines. I would think for someone like Spirit Airlines, the 717 stretch derivative (-300) would be a wise choise; perhaps Boeing would be wise to pursue Spirit a little further; it appears Boeing will not be "courting" Spirit for orders of any type. Could this be one reason why Boeing is losing ground to Airbus in the narrow body market segment?

The B717 is going down the same rout as the B757 and B767. And the B737 is at its limitation. Boeing can't wait to get the 7E7 out fast enough to have a winning aircraft and to be able to close a gap.

So Spirit has currently only two logical choices B737NG or A320/319. It will be interesting who will offer the better conditions. At this moment Airbus has the better cards.

...Boeing needs a shot in the arm. The 7E7 is going nowhere fast; while Boeing is at it; maybe they should consider a smaller market commonality derivative to replace the 737 NG family.

Now, getting back to Spirit; maybe the Embraer 170 to 190 family may suffice? Although range might be an issue there?

k2air said:
...Boeing needs a shot in the arm. The 7E7 is going nowhere fast; while Boeing is at it; maybe they should consider a smaller market commonality derivative to replace the 737 NG family.

Now, getting back to Spirit; maybe the Embraer 170 to 190 family may suffice? Although range might be an issue there?
I agree with you. The 737 is at it's limits and will not survive much longer. They can't make it any bigger and making it smaler will not help to get any new customers. The ones that fly RJ etc need an aircraft that can land and take off on smaler airports etc.

In regard to Spirit, they are looking for an aircraft that can go coast to coast. They are not worried abut the short distance.

The Embraer is an aircraft that will give Bombardier some sleeples nights.

...the global economy is shifting. Especially for big ticket items. The US is not only losing ground to the Europeans, but now to Brazil. Our neighbors to the north, Bombardier really started the regional jet phenomenon but Brazil will most likely win out in the short term because of the derivatives. They're going to do well with their large 'small' jets.

Hi!

I read on flightinfo.com that, for some reason, Spirit is upset with Boeing and will not be buying their jets, so I guess it's between Airbus and Embraer, if that's the case. They may get a mix like JetBlue is going to.

CLiff
DTW

atpcliff said:
Hi!

I read on flightinfo.com that, for some reason, Spirit is upset with Boeing and will not be buying their jets, so I guess it's between Airbus and Embraer, if that's the case. They may get a mix like JetBlue is going to.

CLiff
DTW
I would be mad too. First Boeing promissed heaven on earth and Spirit decided to get B717's. They asked for a B717 version to be able to fly coast to coast and Boeing's answer was that they will stop producing B717 and that they should buy B737.

So if they need to get into a new aircraft anyhow why not take an aircraft that will still have a future and has now a family of types that can carry from 90 - 185 PAX (A318/319/320/321).

Just Plane Crazy said:
They asked for a B717 version to be able to fly coast to coast and Boeing's answer was that they will stop producing B717 and that they should buy B737.
Boeing has most definitely NOT announced the closure of the 717 line--yet! Indeed, they are continuing to push the program as a going concern, even though various industry "experts" have pontificated that it is only a matter of time until this last remnant of the venerable DC-9 lineage is put to rest.

Are you psychic? ;)

mga707 said:
Just Plane Crazy said:
They asked for a B717 version to be able to fly coast to coast and Boeing's answer was that they will stop producing B717 and that they should buy B737.
Boeing has most definitely NOT announced the closure of the 717 line--yet! Indeed, they are continuing to push the program as a going concern, even though various industry "experts" have pontificated that it is only a matter of time until this last remnant of the venerable DC-9 lineage is put to rest.

Are you psychic? ;)
No Iam not.

Boeing has not anounced that they will close it and that's not what I wrote. Since Boeing made this comment to Spirit that they would like them to take the B737 instead of the B717 it only indicates that they are not going to continue the B717 line.

Also B717 was nerver a priority for Boeing. A streched B717 would be competetion for B737 and they are more interested in keeping the B737 alive than creating in house competetion. The B737 is a true Boeing and not just a step-child.

Just Plane Crazy said:
Boeing has not anounced that they will close it and that's not what I wrote.
If I may take the liberty of quoting your original post: "...and Boeing's answer was that they will stop producing B717..."

So, that IS what you wrote, verbatim.