Next Big Thing in Oct- Merged Topics

I can't say quite yet who or when but DP is working on a blockbuster of a deal nearly the size of the DAL deal. This one has a good chance of happening. It involves the break-up of a large airline and multiple mergers within the industry. LCC could benefit, and if the pieces are as large as I think they will be, there will be significant movement on putting together the list once and for all.

What is your source ?

The United pilots, as they have the last two times this was tried, will squash any merger attempt; the behavior of the US Airways pilot group lately will certainly only strengthen their resolve to never merge with us.

I think it will be much harder this time to squash such a merger, as I believe the financial community will back a deal like this much stronger than the unions can protest. I think the best chance of something like this would be if Team Tempe is NOT involved in the management of the new company. They are clearly out of their league with what they have, and I don't think the financial community or traveling public will allow them to bungle another merger.

Time will tell but I think with the right divestiture of assets, and with fair labor contracts this one has a chance.

CO has 3 billion or thereabouts, and probably better credit. AMR has 6 billion in the bank and probably better credit. . Hell, United has 5 billion, and even NW has 3 billion. What Delta has does not matter, since that dog did not hunt the last time.

Were I to swag at this, it's still not going to be a transaction that puts 320pilot into a 777 out of ORD. Think about NW for a second--Parker axes MEM (thereby satisfying the "reducing capacity" fetish), keeps DTW/MSP for that missing chunk in the middle of the country, and gets his hands on China and the Pacific. Some degree of fleet commonality.

UAL is not Dougweiser's style--they did not get hit hard enough on the cost side in bankruptcy. The folks running CO don't strike me as suicidal, AA is a nonstarter for any number of reasons, DL was asked and answered already.

I don't think Alaska or Frontier do much for the network, but it's not like it's a winner now.

If I had to guess (with public information, anyway), I'd say it's either a breakup of LCC or something LCC/NWA-ish. Private insights, of course, may be different.

If where going to play bOh, and the mother of all pissing contests for seniority integration (including, but not limited to, an instant Nicolau implementation, ALPA stays on the property, and then everyone does it all over again in a few years).

If we're gonna play this guessing game again, its gonna be a breakup of JetBlue with Delta in the drivers seat wanting to shed A320/E190's, then USAirways steps in.

The United pilots, as they have the last two times this was tried, will squash any merger attempt; the behavior of the US Airways pilot group lately will certainly only strengthen their resolve to never merge with us.

Because we will not tolerate an integration that goes against ALPA by-laws? WE on the EAST side make nearly all, if not all, the PROFITS for this company. Split us off, PLEASE. We certainly don't need the dead weight..... :up:

Because we will not tolerate an integration that goes against ALPA by-laws? WE on the EAST side make nearly all, if not all, the PROFITS for this company. Split us off, PLEASE. We certainly don't need the dead weight..... :up:
Yes, because the east was certainly profitable before the merger.

They are splitting off the passengers to other carriers. That has already been implimented.

This statement is pure arrogance....Is it based in facts or wishfull thinking

Funny! Second Ch. 11, Financial Docs showed 7 days of $$ left in the bank, therefore a possible Ch. 7! :up:

Pathetic!!! :blink:

Wouldn't the bigwigs stop the planned certificate merge later this month if this was true? US getting split that is.

Wouldn't the bigwigs stop the planned certificate merge later this month if this was true? US getting split that is.

Only part of East assets (read: not employees) will be sold off - either SWA or AA come in with cash to buy the leases to the PHL gates. The international flying is moved to IAD if it's UAL or to JFK if it's DAL. Having one certificate in place would make the divestment process a lot easier because the remnants of the East will be on the same certificate of the West. That way Doug will only have to merge two certificates, the LCC certificate and the UAL/DAL/whoever certificate. In the meantime, Doug will use the disarry in the East pilot group to his advantage by placating the pilots at the much larger other airline - all cuts in mainline pilot jobs will be absorbed by attrition at all three carriers, with the East conveniently absorbing much of that loss. Probably the best thing for the West pilots at this point would be for USAPA to succeed which would then force ALPA to do what it should have done the day after the list was forwarded from Nicolau.

AFA Section 1 of East Contract SCOPE

"3. Partial Transactions

a. In addition to all other protections under this Agreement, if,
within any twelve (12) month period while the Agreement remains in effect,
US Airways Group or the Company sells, transfers or disposes of assets
which, net of asset purchases or acquisitions during the same twelve (12)
month period, constitute twenty percent (20%) or more of the value of the
assets of the Company or US Airways Group (the closing of any such
transaction(s) which alone or in the aggregate satisfy the aforesaid
percentage being referred to as a “Triggering Eventâ€￾), then:

(1) In the event another air carrier (a “Transfereeâ€￾) purchases
or acquires any aircraft of the Company or US Airways Group as part of
any transaction that constitutes a Triggering Event, the Association shall
determine, in its sole discretion, whether or not flight attendants from the
US Airways System Seniority List (the “Transferring Flight Attendantsâ€￾)
shall transfer to the Transferee and which flight attendants shall transfer.
The number of Transferring Flight Attendants shall be determined by
calculating the average flight attendant staffing on a monthly basis over the
prior twelve (12) months attributable to the aircraft transferred to the
Transferee in connection with the Triggering Event; and" .........goes on so for and so on

Bottom line on that scenario is whoever is buying will be taking people with them. At least in terms of AFA if they are going to get any meaningful chunk of the operation while carving they will be ordering the gravy and canberry sauce too.

Have you guys all been drinking with Dougweiser...Have another shot of tequila.

Dougweiser can't run this company ...what makes you think he could run a much larger one.

Operationally .....USAir...er Trailways..er Errorways is a mess. From the top to the bottom.

Back