Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
NWA Flight Attendant Refuses To Cross Picket Line

Bridgette Bornstein
Reporting

Save It Email It Print It
(WCCO) A flight attendant for Northwest Airlines said she will not be going back to her job because of her support for the striking mechanics.

When Northwest mechanics went on strike, they knew they many never go back to their jobs. On Thursday, a flight attendant said she lost her job by refusing to cross the mechanics' picket line, and joined the striking workers on the picket line.

"That's why I'm out here, you guys, to support you," said Peggy Lubinski. On Monday, Lubinski refused to fly.

"I called in Monday and said I wasn't gonna cross the picket line," Lubinski said. "They said I'm terminated, my flying benefits are revoked and I'm no longer on the payroll. I said 'OK, bye,' and I hung up."

Flight attendants voted against a sympathy strike, so Lubinski is supposed to be on the job. Her union said it will try to help her get her job back.

Lubinski said what she is doing is more than just solidarity with the mechanics. It's also about safety.

"All of a sudden, Northwest comes and tells us we're supposed to get on planes with mechanics that are all of a sudden certified overnight and have who knows how much experience," Lubinski said. "It's fear of flying, and I would not get on a plane with them."

Mechanics welcome the support and hope it can help end the strike for the sake of everyone involved.

"She sacrificed her job for this," said striking mechanic Richard Erickson. "There's a lot of other support that's been out here too, but she did the ultimate sacrifice and she feels unsafe about flying. I don't blame her."

When Northwest was asked about Lubinski's situation, the airline said it will not comment on personnel matters.

Even with mechanics off the job right now, Northwest maintains that the planes are safe to fly with the replacement workers on the job.

I wouldnt fly on NWA planes since the SCABS took over the maintaince.
I fully support the mechanics and I admire people such as this F/A who did an ultimate thing and won fly due to safety concerns. I wish each one of you AMFA mechs and the F/a the best of luck and hope you get yours jobs back quickly

Thank You Peggy Lubinski for standing with those Men & Women who have made sure you, all flight crews, and passengers alike enjoy safe flight by delivering a standard unparrelled by any scab or third world maintenance hack shop. you shall always be held in the highest regard as a true patriot willing to sacrifice for the better of all! :up: MAY THE DOMINO'S BEGIN TO FALL.........!

When AMFA wins this war,MS. LUBINSKI will get her job back with back pay. She did the honorable thing :up: and refused to fly on unsafe,poorly scab maintained aircraft :down: . As a pilot, I still can't figure out why any pilot would want to fly a aircraft maintained by "D" TEAM contractor scabs. I sure would not want to become a statistic that's for sure.

I'm proud of Peggy Lubinski!! That shows not only how she feels about the safety of the airplanes with the SCABS, but her TRUE SOLIDARITY with the NWA Mechanics.

She will get her job back in due time and it may include back pay! The rest of Northwest Airlines Flight Attendants, should do the same thing and show their solidarity as well.

Video Interview with Fired NWA Flight Attendant

Princess,

Eventually the pilots will get tired of continuing MEL'S and will start to refuse to fly to till ALL the MELS are cleared. I wouldn't fly on NWA right now either.