OKIE-HOMA

Aug 20, 2002
I read a story today, on Yahoo news(sorry no link), that of all Large US cities, that OKC had(on average), apartments for rent at $723 per 1000 sq. ft.

(NY was $4000 x 1000 sq. ft.)

(Begrudgingly), you have to hand it to AMR.

They "saw this" 30+ years ago, and was a PREMIER reason why that moved HDQ, (and THEIR Union) to Okie-homa, and Texass.

Sadly, "the rest is history"

Think long and hard for a moment if AA had invested that much time in planning for the well being/morale, of ALL it's employees, (not just those in the 2 states mentioned above), what a true POWERHOUSE of a company AA "might have been" !

NH/BB's

I read a story today, on Yahoo news(sorry no link), that of all Large US cities, that OKC had(on average), apartments for rent at $723 per 1000 sq. ft.

They "saw this" 30+ years ago, and was a PREMIER reason why that moved HDQ, (and THEIR Union) to Okie-homa, and Texass.

Think long and hard for a moment if AA had invested that much time in planning for the well being/morale, of ALL it's employees, (not just those in the 2 states mentioned above), what a true POWERHOUSE of a company AA "might have been" !

NH/BB's

I'm not following.

First, AA is using the same reasoning and did "invest that much time in planning" for its employees. Consistent with setting up operations in cheap states, it was ruthless in seeking out cheap labor. Any well-run company reduces its costs when and where possible.

Second, what do you mean AA "might have been" a powerhouse? AA is the largest airline IN THE WORLD! Hello! Earth to NHBB! That doesn't count as a "powerhouse" in your book?

Actually didn't C.R. Smith get the idea to move AA maintenance out here in the mid 40s, right after the war. The Tulsa M&E Center was actually a mod center for warplanes coming off the line at North American, at the south end of TUL airport. It was here for the taking and he had the foresight to scoop it up. After all it is just about in the middle of the country and the government had put it up as surplus so the City of Tulsa got it and C.R got a long term lease. IIRC, AA closed some kind of main office in Rockville Ctr, L.I. N.Y. and moved it to TUL in the 70s. Don't know when they moved HDQ to FT. Worth though, but I have seen pictures of AA DC3s flying into Ft. Worth/Amon Carter field I believe, and I believe the present Center Point HDQ buildings are sitting on that field.

Actually didn't C.R. Smith get the idea to move AA maintenance out here in the mid 40s, right after the war. The Tulsa M&E Center was actually a mod center for warplanes coming off the line at North American, at the south end of TUL airport. It was here for the taking and he had the foresight to scoop it up. After all it is just about in the middle of the country and the government had put it up as surplus so the City of Tulsa got it and C.R got a long term lease. IIRC, AA closed some kind of main office in Rockville Ctr, L.I. N.Y. and moved it to TUL in the 70s. Don't know when they moved HDQ to FT. Worth though, but I have seen pictures of AA DC3s flying into Ft. Worth/Amon Carter field I believe, and I believe the present Center Point HDQ buildings are sitting on that field.
Cheap cost of living, employees can work for lower pay scale, I can here them say "just be glad you got a job" yada yada yada, ............... :up: :up:

I'm not following.

First, AA is using the same reasoning and did "invest that much time in planning" for its employees. Consistent with setting up operations in cheap states, it was ruthless in seeking out cheap labor. Any well-run company reduces its costs when and where possible.

Second, what do you mean AA "might have been" a powerhouse? AA is the largest airline IN THE WORLD! Hello! Earth to NHBB! That doesn't count as a "powerhouse" in your book?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

OK, brother "bear".

Powerhouse is not the best word to describe my meaning(My bad)

A truly Great company, surely WILL look to save money, at "every turn".

My point was/is, that AA COULD have made provisions for the employees who live in the "high rent district" aka Cost of living adjustments.

To show you that AA "has an Inkling" of such a Phenominum(sp?), they allow people to be hired at higher rates of pay, in places with a much higher cost of living than OK/TX.

NH/BB's

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

OK, brother "bear".

Powerhouse is not the best word to describe my meaning(My bad)

A truly Great company, surely WILL look to save money, at "every turn".

My point was/is, that AA COULD have made provisions for the employees who live in the "high rent district" aka Cost of living adjustments.

To show you that AA "has an Inkling" of such a Phenominum(sp?), they allow people to be hired at higher rates of pay, in places with a much higher cost of living than OK/TX.
NH/BB's

Maybe where you live, money can be printed in the payroll office? In my world, paying people more because they live in an expensive city rather than setting up shop in a cheaper location reduces profits, which in turn reduces expansion possibilities. If AA had simply carried on as if TX and OK didn't exist, they wouldn't be the powerhouse they are today.

:p

NH/BB's

Perhaps they moved their maintenance operations to an area which had a broader skill base. I hear in the old days in Okieland, there were those who could take a piece of "Flint Rock", and build a shopping mall....

:p

Perhaps they moved their maintenance operations to an area which had a broader skill base. I hear in the old days in Okieland, there were those who could take a piece of "Flint Rock", and build a shopping mall....

AA figured back then that most of the TWU members would be concentrated in TULSA. They were and still are in a very affordable place to live and could afford to work for far much less than they earn now.
Because of this, AA knows that anything and any contract they jam down our throats will pass simply because of the voting power of TULSA.

This might be the only message board where a low cost of living area is actually criticized. :rolleyes:

NHBB....AA was enough of a powerhouse for you to stick it out long enough to draw a pension, so it couldn't have been that bad.

If you yankees would quit moving down here and overpaying for real estate (e.g. Austin), we'd be able to buy even bigger houses. :bleh:

If you yankees would quit moving down here and overpaying for real estate (e.g. Austin), we'd be able to buy even bigger houses. :bleh:
If you gave them a C.O.L.A, most would never leave the high cost places, and many would move back. ;)

Would the union members living in low-cost areas stand for their brethren in higher-cost areas getting more perks and $ for doing the same job?

Don't think so.

Would the union members living in low-cost areas stand for their brethren in higher-cost areas getting more perks and $ for doing the same job?

Don't think so.
Not so sure there Bear. First off the COLA is always shot down by the local union leadership, so it never makes it to the floor. Second, it's about cash, I don't recall anything being said about perks, but I could be wrong.

But, if it was to make it to the floor for a vote, explained to the members, and didn't result in a paycut for those in the lower cost area, it would pass.

Don't forget just at DFW alone, at least 50% of the AMT's are originally from higher cost areas. Some want to go back and can't afford it, the rest know what it takes to live their, and still others don't want more senior AMT's being forced to move south. All would vote for it.

With the layoffs, alot of AMT's got to experience what it's like to live in a high cost area on a low cost salary and so they would vote for it.

I do believe if you had a vote on it, it would pass in the 70% range.

Back