OKIE-HOMA

A proposal that is cost-neutral to the company has been brought up and rejected? In other words, the union has offered to forego a pay increase for (for example) TX/OK workers so that JFK workers could have an increase (or more of an increase), with no additional net cost to the company, and AA rejected it? I would like to see some proof for that assertion.

If you can back that up, I would agree with you that AA management is being rather shortsighted on the issue.
I guess you missed this part:"In fact the company does not even offer its non-union workforce regional pay."

You know, I have to laugh, when the pro business..."do gooders", use to turn their noses UP in disgust at the knowlege that the IBT(Teamsters) were "corrupted" by the despicable Mafia.

Someone please tell me, WHAT is the difference between the IBT/Mafia, and AA/TWU ??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
NH/BB's

Bears; Haven't you heard, there is no "MAFIA", now either you believe it or "I breaka you Face", or better still "Make him an offer he can't refuse" :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, I have to laugh, when the pro business..."do gooders", use to turn their noses UP in disgust at the knowlege that the IBT(Teamsters) were "corrupted" by the despicable Mafia.

Someone please tell me, WHAT is the difference between the IBT/Mafia, and AA/TWU ??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
NH/BB's

The difference is that one group steals legally while the other group steals illegally.

In your post where you claim AA to be a powerhouse it seems as if you are implying that being a "powerhouse" they are doing things correctly.
How did you get that from my post? I never mentioned anything about "doing things correctly." I implied AA is a "powerhouse" simply because it is the largest airline in the world.

I guess our definitions of a powerhouse differ since we are on different sides of the union fence.
Not sure what being on different sides of the union fence has to do with our definitions differing. If you think that being the largest company in a given industry is not a "powerhouse," you do indeed have an interesting definition of the word.

Which company is more of a powerhouse?

1) The company like AA that makes a profit. Where management takes million dollar bonuses and claims that SHARED Sacrifices are shared just not EQUAL. Where morale is in the sewer.

2) The company that makes a profit. Where management doesn't take million dollar bonuses while the employees burden concessions. Where morale is high.

Since you have set this up as an "either/or," if one of the companies is the largest company in its industry, and one is the smallest, then the largest is the "powerhouse." Management bonuses and employee concessions have nothing to do with it.

I guess you missed this part:"In fact the company does not even offer its non-union workforce regional pay."
I saw it; I am just not sure how relevant it is, because I don't think AA duplicates many of its headquarter's functions in different regions of the country. For example, take the in-house legal department (or accounting, finance, etc.). I would guess that is only exists in TX, so to say AA doesn't offer its in-house counsel regional pay when they are all in one region doesn't really show anything. I would bet, though, that if they had in-house counsel in DFW, and in NYC, doing the same work, the NYC in-house lawyers would make more money than their DFW counterparts performing the same job.

Of course, if they could get the NY employees (in any department) to work for the same wages as the DFW ones, as appears to be the case with mechanics, why bother to offer higher wages in NY.

I would be willing to bet that if you asked the members in TUL/MCI/AFW (etc.) their thoughts on COLA, the majority would be FOR it. I am and always have been. I know for a fact that COLA was brought up during the last negotiations. But because of the haggling and arguing amongst the line stations nothing could be agreed upon. It's a fight for who gets the most apparently. No wonder we can't get it in the contract.

I would be willing to bet that if you asked the members in TUL/MCI/AFW (etc.) their thoughts on COLA, the majority would be FOR it. I am and always have been. I know for a fact that COLA was brought up during the last negotiations. But because of the haggling and arguing amongst the line stations nothing could be agreed upon. It's a fight for who gets the most apparently. No wonder we can't get it in the contract.

Why should there be a fight its all percentages. Certain areas of the country cost more than others. Simple math should decide who gets how much

Unless of course the company takes the highest cost of living area and cuts the pay for all the lower cost of living areas. Maybe then certain stations would be willing to fight for a little more then what is given to them.

Why should there be a fight its all percentages. Certain areas of the country cost more than others. Simple math should decide who gets how much

Unless of course the company takes the highest cost of living area and cuts the pay for all the lower cost of living areas. Maybe then certain stations would be willing to fight for a little more then what is given to them.

That's a great question TFC! I wasn't there so I don't know all the details but because of the indecision, it failed.

That's a great question TFC! I wasn't there so I don't know all the details but because of the indecision, it failed.
That's an easy one, NWA only has this clause in Alaska and Hawaii. We don't staff either except for management in HNL so therefore the company wasn't forced to match it. :eek:

NH/BB's

Bears; Haven't you heard, there is no "MAFIA", now either you believe it or "I breaka you Face", or better still "Make him an offer he can't refuse" :lol: :lol: :lol:
The mafia got the guys good contracts, that's the difference.

I saw it; I am just not sure how relevant it is, because I don't think AA duplicates many of its headquarter's functions in different regions of the country. For example, take the in-house legal department (or accounting, finance, etc.). I would guess that is only exists in TX, so to say AA doesn't offer its in-house counsel regional pay when they are all in one region doesn't really show anything. I would bet, though, that if they had in-house counsel in DFW, and in NYC, doing the same work, the NYC in-house lawyers would make more money than their DFW counterparts performing the same job.
Gate agents, clerks, etc.

Then either (1) AA is being shortsighted, or (2) they saw no need to offer regional differences in pay because they were able to attract sufficient numbers of qualified people in the high-cost areas.

. . . Actually, what that is nost likely REALLY saying is that AA is OVERpaying for those positions in the lower-cost areas of the country. I would demand some accountability if I were a shareholder.

Are you certain about that?

Perhaps it's now changed, but I was an agent in ORD, JFK, and DFW in the early 90's, we definitely had regional pay adjustments. At ORD, I got a market rate differential that was different from the differential I got at JFK, and there was none whatsoever at DFW.

Some functions are definitely duplicated outside of TX -- there are lawyers in DCA, and then there's the entire staff at the division offices in MIA and LON which could just as easily be centralized at HDQ.

The difference in those positions is that they're largely classified as management, and I know for a fact that management employees transferring from lower cost of living areas can see their salary increased to match the higher cost of living on the east and left coasts.

Back