Pan Am In Youngstown

Hi I am new to the board and would like to talk aviation.. I will look for topics from Pittsburgh to Akron and Cleveland... Youngstown too...

ANYWHO: Pan Am begins service September 15th at the currently abandoned Youngstown Warren Regional Airport.

Instead of typing to much watch this: VIDEO FROM 33 IN YOUNGSTOWN

Flight Schedule I made for AIRPORT:
yngschedule9ms.jpg

Unions Doing It Again!

Just one day after Pan Am previewed its new air service into the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport, it appears that they have run into some turbulence.

The Airline Pilots Association has gone to court asking that new routes, including the flights into Youngstown, be stopped. The union also asks that Boston-Maine Airways, the parent company of Pan Am, be stopped from flying Boeing 727's.

The A.L.P.A. says the new service violates a contract with Boston-Maine.

YNG had a very charismatic development director, a genuinely good guy. I admired him on virtually every topic except his "we've built it and you will come here" because that revealed his inexperience.

Don't think he's still at YNG, too bad too. But for a bit of luck he could've tasted the success of a Fred Krum at CAK.

I do not know if you know YNG Has a new Director named Steve Bowser.

The prior Director resigned about 3 years ago after than was no passenger service left. So far I like Steve Bowser a lot... Upgrades to runways and taxiways and has really been pushin for airline service. They have a new Airport Master Plan and have a campaign to get service of Schools/Cargo/Airlines to the airport

YNG apparently you are uninformed as to why ALPA did that. The company that owns Boston Maine Airways and Pan Am basically tried to move all of the flying and aircraft from Pan Am to Boston Maine Airways, which was a violation of the contract between Pan Am's pilots and the company. They did this to essentially get rid of the union and transfer the flying to a regional airline that pays it's pilot much lower than Pan Am. ALPA then took Pan Am to court and won, the court stated that the flying could not be transfer to creat an alter ego airline to avoid dealing with the Pan Am pilots. I have a friend that was there, and it was a pure and simple union busting tactic by management and clearly against the contract, this again was confirmed by the courts. Is getting service to YNG worth 100s of pilots loosing their jobs and livelihood?

Court Rules for Pan Am

The court lifted an injunction that had prohibited Pan Am from transferring flights.

VIENNA — A federal appeals court looked at the arrangement for Boston-Maine Airways to fly Boeing 727s for Pan Am Clipper Connection and saw no subterfuge among the companies involved to break the pilots union.

The Air Line Pilots Association raised that labor issue with Boston-Maine, which is bringing Pan Am Clipper Connection to the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport.

The 1st Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in Boston, however, has issued an opinion that does not support the union's position against the airline.

Local officials have focused on the success of a Mahoning and Shenango Valley contingent of government, business and private leaders that worked for a half-year to bring scheduled flights back to the airport. Pan Am Clipper Connection's decision to start flights in September was hailed last week as good economic news for an airport that needs people passing through its gates.

"Each principal within our organization is very sympathetic to our unions in the Mahoning Valley," said Steve Bowser, the airport's director of aviation.

Transfer battle

In recent months the pilots association has been in court with Pan Am, Boston-Maine and Guilford Transportation Industries Inc. over alleged union-breaking attempts.

A U.S. District Court magistrate in New Hampshire last year had found that Guilford Transportation had illegally moved business from unionized Pan Am to nonunion carrier Boston-Maine. The pilots association had described this move as "a brazen and apparently successful effort to destroy a union."

The 1st District Appeals Court, however, disagreed in February and lifted an injunction that had prohibited Pan Am from transferring flights.

Guilford Transportation in 1999 had formed Pan Am as a wholly owned subsidiary.

Pan Am last June told federal regulators that it would cease flight operations in October 2004 because of financial difficulties; those pilots were represented by ALPA. After Pan-Am began transferring the 727 jetliner flights to Boston-Maine, the union sought the injunction.

"From the beginning, Pan Am's airplanes were flown by the pilot force of its bankrupt predecessor. ... At its high point Pan Am employed approximately 90 pilots. The skies were not friendly, however, and by August of 2004 that number had shrunk to 30," the court said.

"Finances explain this reduction in force. The record shows that Pan Am lost tens of millions of dollars over approximately five years."

Boston-Maine Airways employs only nonunion pilots and in 2002 won federal regulators' approval to fly Boeing 727 aircraft, despite ALPA's opposition. By 2004 Pan Am contracted with Boston-Maine to fly certain Pan Am routes, which triggered the court action.

Staying in business

The question before the court was whether a nonunion corporate affiliate may, when a unionized carrier closes its doors, assume portions of the latter's business portfolio without either triggering a major dispute or violating the Railway Labor Act. The court, citing a Supreme Court opinion, said the continued existence of the company — and by extension its union members' jobs — is not guaranteed by the RLA.

"Because employees have no right to force a company to remain in business, they lose nothing when, after the company fails, an affiliated company absorbs some [or perhaps all] of the closed company's business operations," it said.

The court also said it saw no subterfuge or shell-game among the companies to bust the union.

It was Guilford Transportation's interpretation that the bargaining agreement between ALPA and Pan Am allowed the contracting out of some of Pan Am's scheduled flights.

This minor dispute, the court said, should be worked out through arbitration. The matter was remanded to a lower U.S. District Court of New Hampshire for further proceedings.

"Though it seems a long shot, we think that the union should be entitled to attempt to demonstrate, on remand, that Pan Am was shut down only because it was possible to transfer its union-flown routes to a non-union affiliate — and if so, that a major dispute was thereby created," the court's opinion states.

It adds: "Stripped of rhetorical flourishes, the union's only substantial allegation in this case is that the defendants violated the collective bargaining agreement by transferring [or plotting to transfer] covered work to an affiliated corporation. There is nothing to suggest that the defendants have somehow tried to prevent the pilots from organizing or that they have erected obstacles to the pilots' ability to act collectively."

there you go YNG, you answered your own questions. The management was clearly trying to break the union at Pan Am for lower paid non-union pilots. BTW it's one and one now, the company won one, and ALPA won one, I strongly suspect there will be a round 2 shortly. The problem in this industry has always been weak management and stary eyed kids that are willing to fly for next to nothing instead of being compensated as professionals. The Pan Am pilots were near bottom of the industry when it came to pay and benefits and their management still couldn't make money because of a weak business plan, and now their bright idea is to go for even lower paid pilots in stead of changing their business plan. It seems that the answer to everything these days is cut the fares so some guy who travels one time a year with his family can get a $49 fare, and rape the employee in the process. Yet it seems the American public, the same public that cries about jobs going overseas wants the unrealistic low fares even if it means joblosses.
BTW, just a side note, historically small markets like Youngstown have given airlines, and usually weak airlines at that, incentive to start service in their town, yet when those insentives expire a year or 18 months down the road, that same airline pulls out because there are markets that cannot support competitive service on their own, they just don't have the numbers to do so. I hope someday you get your service at youngstown, if it can be done profitably, I certainly don't want to see youngstown being serviced at the expense of 90 pilots.
Just one more thing, you don't have to look no further than within the past year, two very weak airline, one in Canada called Jetsgo, and the other in Florida called Southeast shut their doors and left thousands of customers and employees high and dry when they ceased operations without notice.

FYI.... Youngstown is offering NO SUBSIDY For Pan Am. The owner says that is stupid to have.

They are offering side deals for customers with free parking for Pan Am flyers and the owner of Winner Aviation is offering free fuel at his cost the first week of operation. I wonder how many of Pan Am's planes will refuel from Sep. 15-----Sep. 22?

HAHA

Watch Video Here: NEWSCHANNEL 33 VIDEO ON Pan Am

Another hurdle is cleared to bring commercial airline service back to the valley.
There is now a ticket counter for the new PAN AM airlines at the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport in Vienna.
The wraps were taken off that familiar PAN AM logo.
For now, service is supposed to begin later this fall, but airport directors are putting together a wide-range of incentives, hoping those will give would-be passengers even more of a reason to fly-in or out of Vienna.
Airport director Steve Bowser says, "Number one, we're gonna have a package,a value package top go with every single ticket that goes out here, what we're hoping for is, equal to, or exceeding than the ticket Itself, and secondly, is the free parking for all pan am passengers."
For the time being, the local ticket counter will not be staffed.
However, would-be passengers can get more information by calling the airline's toll-free number, 1-800-FLY-PAN-AM, or log onto www.flypanam.com.

For more information, visit PAN AM.
PAN AM: 1-800-FLY-PAN-AM

YNGAirport said:
BAD NEWS!!!

www.flypanam.com

They removed YNG from the destination route map and reservation list.

When I called they said they weren't sure.

If you hear nethin please post it!
[post="281920"][/post]​

YNGAirport said:
BAD NEWS!!!

www.flypanam.com

They removed YNG from the destination route map and reservation list.

When I called they said they weren't sure.

If you hear nethin please post it!
[post="281920"][/post]​
You're right! Pan Am has taken YNG off it's destinations. That didn't last long!
As a previous employee of 2 airlines at YNG, my opinion is that people in the area didn't need to hear Mr. Fink sound so threatening when discussing on tv how he would pull out of YNG if he didn't fill 60% of the seats. He didn't even get started yet!!! For the MANY people that flew out of YNG on Vacation Express last summer, it set off alarm bells.
YNG is as capable as any airport to do the work of others IF it gets a reliable airline in. Not any fly by night company that just wants to take advantage of the desperation caused by the previous airport administrator.
The administration is great now, the counties support it, the maintenance crew that work for the Port Authority are second to none in keeping the runways in great shape at all times, The Winner Aviation FBO is ALWAYS going the extra mile for fueling planes, customer service and their ground crew is excellent with the gambling charters they provide service for.
So, what is the problem with YNG. Commercial airlines are afraid to take the chance OR feel a stop in YNG is a waste when the other 3 airports are so close.
I think the ONLY thing that might get the ball rolling is 2 or 3 trips a week to Las Vegas on charter planes. That success might make other airlines take a look at YNG positively.

Good News YOUNGSTOWN MAN!!!

Okay on this site that I am trying to help grow: Which I will have a YOUNGSTOWN Page tomorrow: http://forums.usaflying.com:8383/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl

This former airline employee is the PRESS so he got Pan Am's take and they said the schedule is being REVAMPED and there should be an announcement Monday.

Now I have talked with Steve Bowser; airport directors son; he is not sure about it but his dad was at the airport past midnight last night.

The YNG Airport has said it was a minor problem.

So I think its here to stay and GREAT NEWS. They were only using 3 727 jets and were trying to get 2 more into service. Well today on my flight tracker there were 4 Pan Am 727s all in the air at the same time so that may help YNG in terms of aircraft and maybe NO Connections in Columbus.

Hey Youngstown man please come aboard with us here: http://forums.usaflying.com:8383/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl

I got a great YNG Page in store that YOU WILL LOVE!!!