Philly Lets guy on with TB!

PHL-SFO US401

I am sure someone's gonna be in a little trouble! :unsure:

Doubtful.

It sounds like a typical TSA foul up. Nothing will change. No one will even get a hand slap, because stuff like this gets funneled down the big government toilet never to be seen again.

Did you know that the TSA administrator (Kip Hawley, I think) cannot even be contact by mere taxpayer citizens? I tried once. No one would even tell me his mailing address. At least I can still call the White House switchboard, and send protest letters to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

The TSA is a dictatorship, and, by definition, is immune to criticism for possibly doing anything wrong.

It sounds like a typical TSA foul up. Nothing will change. No one will even get a hand slap, because stuff like this gets funneled down the big government toilet never to be seen again.
But the TSA says it isn't their fault. click here:

The airline told Eyewitness News it is up to the TSA to enforce the "no board list," but a TSA spokesperson
says it is the airlines' responsibility. TSA released the following statement about the incident: "We are just
a conduit. We receive information and provide it to the airlines. All proper protocols were followed."

So, who screwed up here?

So, who screwed up here?

Have you ever had the TSA boarding pass/ID checker check a computer to see if you're on some list? I think that'll answer your question. Besides, it was the CDC that put him on the do not board list according to the article.

Jim

Have you ever had the TSA boarding pass/ID checker check a computer to see if you're on some list?
I always thought the highly trained security professionals look over the list prior to the begining of their shift and memorize the names ... ... ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you ever had the TSA boarding pass/ID checker check a computer to see if you're on some list? I think that'll answer your question. Besides, it was the CDC that put him on the do not board list according to the article.

Jim

To be fair to US, the article says the CDC placed the man on the no-fly list on Friday (the day before). I think we all know the speed at which the US Government moves. I would not be surprised to find out that he did not appear on the list until several days later.
When I worked at a hospital ER, when we had confirmed cases of TB (which takes 2-3 days to confirm, then a chest x-ray), we would report to the CDC, which then confirmed our results. The whole process could take up to 7-10 days.
While obviously the whole process failed, the blame should be placed squarely on the patient. TB is so relatively rare these days that when it is diagnosed, it is kind of a big deal. He must have known the danger he posed to not only the passengers and the crew, but to anyone he came into contact with.

Jim

All this is irrelevant.......The only thing that matters: Did the flight depart ON TIME?
If so, No Problem.

I would not be surprised to find out that he did not appear on the list until several days later.

Maybe you should read the article - someone discovered the error while the plane was enroute to SFO - the passenger was detained and sent to a hospital when the plane got there.

So much for not appearing on the list until several days later...

Jim

Maybe you should read the article - someone discovered the error while the plane was enroute to SFO - the passenger was detained and sent to a hospital when the plane got there.

So much for not appearing on the list until several days later...

Jim

I did read the article. No need to be snarky. "Officials learned the man wasn't fit to travel while on the flight. He was quarantined upon landing in San Francisco". I am reading this as the "officials" were the CDC and the TSA. By the time this info trickled in from Atlanta the guy was already in the air. Yes, my "several days later" comment was an exaggeration, but from experience I can tell you the CDC is a great, but very slow, agency. As I said, the patient is the one to crucify here, not the CDC, the TSA, or US.

It'll be easy enough for US to check. If he is required to be verified, the agent who checked him in and the GSC who cleared him to get a boarding pass will be noted in the record. If the customer checked in online (up to 24 hours before his flight time) or he checked in at the airport and there is no verificiation documentation in the record, then he wasnt on the list when he got his boarding pass.
If he did need verification and was cleared, I hope the GSC documented the record of the person giving them the ok to clear them.

US Airways can screw up a reservation or perform poorly in the eyes of a customer.

But a screw-up like this can only be accomplished by a government agency that has virtually unlimited resources and is essentially accountable to no one. This IMO reeks of the Trained Shoe Analysts

To be fair to US, the article says the CDC placed the man on the no-fly list on Friday (the day before).

I am reading this as the "officials" were the CDC and the TSA. By the time this info trickled in from Atlanta the guy was already in the air.

Pick one - either the CDC put this person on the do not board list Friday (not the no fly list - separate things) or the info "trickled in from Atlanta".

UPI - The passenger.....was able to board US Airways Flight .....despite being on a do-not-board list issued by federal health and safety officials[/b]...

Philly Daily News - Questions remain about how a man with tuberculosis, who had been placed on a "Do Not Board " list by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, managed to board a US Airways flight in Philadelphia...The "Do Not Board" list involves health issues and is separate from the TSA's "No Fly" list...

San Fran Chronical - The patient.....was added to a federal "do not board" list on Friday. It's unclear how the man managed to get on the US Airways flight the next day.

KCBS - An official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told KCBS the unidentified man was placed on the “Do Not Boardâ€￾ list last Friday. This list is provided to the Transportation Security Administration, as well as all airlines.

KYW - The Centers for Disease Control says it had placed the unnamed passenger on its “do not boardâ€￾ list given to the Transportation Security Administration.
The TSA gives the list to airlines, which in this case was US Airways. But the passenger was allowed to board, and officials are now trying to determine who dropped the ball.

Jim

Latest posts

Back