Plane skids off runway at LaGuardia

robbedagain said:
I noticed that too     looks as most pax got out over the wing
Remember the slide pack has to drop at least 2 feet in order for the lanyard to tighten and deploy the slide.  With all the snow, it may not have had room to "jerk" the lanyard.  And, it looks like the tail was resting directly on the ground or a snowbank.  Either way, do you really need the slide when the passenger can just step out?

As far as the forward doors.  Latest pictures look like exiting from forward doors would have dumped you directly into the bay.  It's a little chilly for swimming.  Amazing that we have had two evacuation incidents in two days with no severe injuries.  We can all be thankful.

Reactions: 2 people
BABABOOY said:
First thing I noticed is that the tailcone deployed but no slide.
Good catch.

jimntx said:
Remember the slide pack has to drop at least 2 feet in order for the lanyard to tighten and deploy the slide.  With all the snow, it may not have had room to "jerk" the lanyard.  And, it looks like the tail was resting directly on the ground or a snowbank.  Either way, do you really need the slide when the passenger can just step out?

As far as the forward doors.  Latest pictures look like exiting from forward doors would have dumped you directly into the bay.  It's a little chilly for swimming.  Amazing that we have had two evacuation incidents in two days with no severe injuries.  We can all be thankful.
Good points.

Thanks to you both for your inside perspectives.

BABABOOY said:
and possibly landing with a 9-10 knot tail wind with contaminated runway?
Possible indeed.

WorldTraveler said:
and there are certain to be questions about how effective LGA's arresting systems are.

Not likely.  The plane went off the side of the runway.

WorldTraveler said:
and it would appear that ATC's configuration of the airport and the crew's decision to land were both right.

An opinion based on your extensive experience as a cubicle dweller, internet troll and self appointed "spiritual advisor" to underage third worlders.  In other words, nada backed up by nothing.

The investigation will answer these questions in due time.

Reactions: 12 people
News Update!  A news reader on CNN (I won't dignify him with the term TV journalist or reporter) just stated that a massive jet liner ran off the runway at LGA.  If an MD-80 is massive, what possible size adjective is there for an A380?

WorldTraveler said:
no, I'm not losing reality.

You are a lying sack of #### that looks for every opportunity to dig - and you have absolutely no limits.

you are an absolute disgrace to the human race - and the best reason DL mgmt. every needed to tell its FAs what a POS organization the IAM is.

do you think you could at least leave the accident thread alone and post your BS in the supposedly "grassroot" campaign where you are the chief cheerleader?.

This is both funny and sad.  Proof positive of your basic dishonesty, weirdness and raging sense of inadequacy.

You do recall your taunting thread after an American turbulence incident over Japan, do you not?  The one which you smarmily turned into an AA bashing opportunity.  Just loved your crocodile tears of concern about the F/As.

http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/57980-what-happened-with-aa-icn-dfw/

By the way, "Reverend."  The turbulence forecasting expertise of Atlanta dispatch seems to be in question after perusing a few of the examples given in reply.  Any idea why that might be?   This is above your revenue managment pay grade, but pre merger Northwest Airlines had an industry leading turbulence avoidence program called Turbulence Plot.  Post merger, it was shut down.  

And since you're always very concerned about humanity and all, especially the children, when can we expect to see you new thread on why DAL dispatch services was passively accepting their aircraft making a tailwind landing on a short, contaminated runway?

Reactions: 10 people
I'm not sure what hole you crawled out of but you absolutely better believe the decision to land at LGA will be questioned... as will the configuration of the airport.

I never said otherwise.

unless you can show that Flight Control knew at the time of dept. from Atlanta that the runways at LGA would be configured as they were at the time of the accident, your statement is nothing but flamebait.

Not once on the AA turbulence thread do I recall anyone "supportive of AA" questioning whether AA should have been operating there.

I have posted several times already that those questions will be asked about landing.

there will be an investigation and there should be.

I am big enough to admit that if DL did something wrong, it should be brought to light.

It's too bad that you see this thread as nothing but an opportunity for revenge - and never a willingness to admit that perhaps AA really should not have been operating where it was at the time of the turbulence, at least with the seatbelt sign off. thanks for reopening that can of worms right here.

WorldTraveler said:
unless you can show that Flight Control knew at the time of dept. from Atlanta that the runways at LGA would be configured as they were at the time of the accident, your statement is nothing but flamebait.

Your total ignorance of how flights are planned, dispatched and conducted is on full display now. 

Whatever the LGA runway configuration was when the flight left Atlanta became irrelevant the moment it changed.  Both pilots and dispatch not only have that information available to them, they likely were communicating about the situation during the flight.  Dispatch services do not end when the flight leaves the departure airport.  They are just beginning.  This is a common misconception among travelers and cubicle dwelling know-it-alls such as you.

If the airport was landing with a tailwing on a contaminated runway, dispatch would normally be all over that.  Were they?  The investigation will reveal all the pertinent facts.  Don't feel insulted if the NTSB doeasn't contact you to ask for your opinion.  

Still feeling curious about the F/As on the Japan flight? 

Reactions: 6 people
Good outcome for all!
Let's wait and hear what the determining factors where before jumping to conclusions.
There is a plethora of mechanical failures that would be a contributing factor (s).

On a side note, we have cameras set up on most every traffic light in commiefornia.
Why isn't there cameras installed on the runways to capture instances such as this and not rely on someone taking a video on their cell phone. Heck, a couple of cameras on top of the tower is better than nothing.

Also, I have seen many pictures and videos of emergency exiting of passengers that 'saved' their carry-on's but if the situation was worse, it could have led to someone behind them getting hurt or killed.

IIRC even the Asiana flight that burned in SFO had passengers stop to take their luggage.
I mean "WTF?"

JMHO,
B) xUT

Reactions: 1 person
delta_md88_n909dl_new_york_150305_4.jpg

Tail seen from the runway (Photo: NYPD)

Why would LGA's arresting systems be under scrutiny?  There are no arresting systems along the side of any runway anywhere that I have heard of.

Slides can be deployed manually and do not necessarily have to drop to "jerk" the cord.  The cord can be "jerked" by anyone with a good grip and a functional bicep.

xUT said:

Also, I have seen many pictures and videos of emergency exiting of passengers that 'saved' their carry-on's but if the situation was worse, it could have led to someone behind them getting hurt or killed.

IIRC even the Asiana flight that burned in SFO had passengers stop to take their luggage.
I mean "WTF?"

JMHO,
B) xUT

It's panic, shock, stupidity, or some combination of those.

observation from pictures is that the tailbone was intact initially (first photos) then 
it can easily be seen that is was deployed.   
We are taught if evac signal is given to open tailbone door and that "should"
deploy slide.  If it doesn't we re-direct.  If no other exits are usable then we go back to tailcone
and manually deploy slide. (pull handle and toss out slide pack)  
it looks like the aft f/a did exactly as she/he was taught.
and the entire crew did an excellent job of evacuating everyone safely.
well done!