Plane skids off runway at LaGuardia

xUT said:
Good outcome for all!
Let's wait and hear what the determining factors where before jumping to conclusions.
There is a plethora of mechanical failures that would be a contributing factor (s).

On a side note, we have cameras set up on most every traffic light in commiefornia.
Why isn't there cameras installed on the runways to capture instances such as this and not rely on someone taking a video on their cell phone. Heck, a couple of cameras on top of the tower is better than nothing.

Also, I have seen many pictures and videos of emergency exiting of passengers that 'saved' their carry-on's but if the situation was worse, it could have led to someone behind them getting hurt or killed.

IIRC even the Asiana flight that burned in SFO had passengers stop to take their luggage.
I mean "WTF?"

JMHO,
B) xUT

Agreed, when everyone goes home after an event like this, its always a good thing.

When I read that they went off the side of the runway, I thought mechanical as well. Were you still with UA when one of our Airbuses slid off into the snow in Jackson Hole?  Bad anti-skid there as I recall.  However as you said, we should wait for the investigators to do their job before jumping to conclusions.

TSH

it's nice to NOW talk about the arresting systems knowing that the plane slid off the side of the runway but I for one didn't know WHERE the plane slid off at the time.

Your total ignorance of how flights are planned, dispatched and conducted is on full display now. 

Whatever the LGA runway configuration was when the flight left Atlanta became irrelevant the moment it changed.  Both pilots and dispatch not only have that information available to them, they likely were communicating about the situation during the flight.  Dispatch services do not end when the flight leaves the departure airport.  They are just beginning.  This is a common misconception among travelers and cubicle dwelling know-it-alls such as you.

If the airport was landing with a tailwing on a contaminated runway, dispatch would normally be all over that.  Were they?  The investigation will reveal all the pertinent facts.  Don't feel insulted if the NTSB doeasn't contact you to ask for your opinion.  

Still feeling curious about the F/As on the Japan flight?

I didn't say that Flight Control (that is the name of the dept. at DL) quits working with the crew. I am fully aware that the flight is a joint responsibility.

but the CREW lands the plane. They make the decision as to whether to land.

You are trying to believe that a tailwind on a contaminated runway was known by someone before the landing. You do realize that weather is not static, don't you?

I'm not sure that any of us know ANYTHING for certain.

and guess what? we don't get to vote anyway.

The NTSB will undoubtedly investigate and they do a very good job of getting to the bottom of the issue, figuring out ALL that went wrong because they recognize that safety issues rarely involve one issue, and they are largely APOLITICAL in their findings.

Sure, tell us about the AA FAs.

and are you willing to admit that someone on the AA flight made an error to have been in that area and certainly without a seat beat sign on and dinner service in progress?

I could see the storm system in the area on satellite images. Surely I am not alone.

Good outcome for all!
Let's wait and hear what the determining factors where before jumping to conclusions.
There is a plethora of mechanical failures that would be a contributing factor (s).

On a side note, we have cameras set up on most every traffic light in commiefornia.
Why isn't there cameras installed on the runways to capture instances such as this and not rely on someone taking a video on their cell phone. Heck, a couple of cameras on top of the tower is better than nothing.

Also, I have seen many pictures and videos of emergency exiting of passengers that 'saved' their carry-on's but if the situation was worse, it could have led to someone behind them getting hurt or killed.

IIRC even the Asiana flight that burned in SFO had passengers stop to take their luggage.
I mean "WTF?"

JMHO,
B) xUT
well said.

those questions should be asked.

and in a winter that has been relentless, was LGA really in a position to operate? or appropriately, for the type of commercial operations that were taking place.

I don't know but those questions have to be asked.

delta_md88_n909dl_new_york_150305_2.jpg

(Photo: Kristina Grossman/AFP):

Tailcone intact

Bad media alert: My local ABC affiliate just stated that the plane "crashed into the water" (even while showing the same evacuation picture we've all seen). In the teaser for the national news, the anchor stated "David Muir will have more on this crash coming up."

(sigh)

Kev3188 said:
Bad media alert: My local ABC affiliate just stated that the plane "crashed into the water" (even while showing the same evacuation picture we've all seen). In the teaser for the national news, the anchor stated "David Muir will have more on this crash coming up."

(sigh)

Even better than that NBC is bringing back Brian Williams who was actually on the plane.

xUT said:

JMHO,
B) xUT
FWIW, some towers have this.

BABABOOY said:
observation from pictures is that the tailbone was intact initially (first photos) then 
it can easily be seen that is was deployed.   
We are taught if evac signal is given to open tailbone door and that "should"
deploy slide.  If it doesn't we re-direct.  If no other exits are usable then we go back to tailcone
and manually deploy slide. (pull handle and toss out slide pack)  
it looks like the aft f/a did exactly as she/he was taught.
and the entire crew did an excellent job of evacuating everyone safely.
well done!
Agreed. 
having said that I don't see a point in pulling the slide. Just jump out if you had to here. 
Hell coming off the wings was a high jump 

Reactions: 3 people
topDawg said:

Agreed. 
having said that I don't see a point in pulling the slide. Just jump out if you had to here. 
Hell coming off the wings was a high jump 

no kidding. 
it looks like the F/A thought the same thing.  
Thankfully they're all safe and we will be seeing them in a video
next year describing their experience so we can all learn.

I have a question here    Does the MD88 have slides over the wings that would inflate basically behind the wings?   or is it a rope of sorts?   IF so then it appears that no slide deployed     I totally understand how and why the front cld not be used although the right front door was partially opened  then blocked by the debris of fence

BABABOOY said:
it looks like the F/A thought the same thing.  
Thankfully they're all safe and we will be seeing them in a video
next year describing their experience so we can all learn.
yep. 

robbedagain said:
I have a question here    Does the MD88 have slides over the wings that would inflate basically behind the wings?   or is it a rope of sorts?   IF so then it appears that no slide deployed     I totally understand how and why the front cld not be used although the right front door was partially opened  then blocked by the debris of fence

No slides for window exits on the MD88  We have escape ropes that can be attached to the wings.