PSA F/O's Screwed Again

The fact that you continue to fly for poverty wages perpetuates the lack of dignity in the profession. BTW I am a furloughed mainline pilot that left the business rather than accept those wages. I wasn't willing to do that to myself or my family simply because I "love this business". Don't you really mean "I love to fly and am willing to accept these wages to do it"?

A great deal more can be accomplished by working together on a solution. I don't think telling sons/daughters to fall on their swords is the right answer.

My good friend and mentor (TWA retired B747) started as an engineer on a super connie in ORD making around $12,000 dollars annually...it would be more in todays dollars but should he have up and quit out of despair?

A great deal more can be accomplished by working together on a solution. I don't think telling sons/daughters to fall on their swords is the right answer.

My good friend and mentor (TWA retired B747) started as an engineer on a super connie in ORD making around $12,000 dollars annually...it would be more in todays dollars but should he have up and quit out of despair?

I agree, great post. I hits the nail on the head.

Well then have at it. How's it worked for you so far? BTW 12,000 a year was very good money when the super connie was flying. I invite you to do the math.

Why is it that this line keeps being repeated on the message boards? It's like you are trying to convince everyone of something they don't believe is true. Or is it you are really trying to convince yourselves?

"I am a mainline pilot! I am a mainline pilot! It's true....they said it in court....bla bla bla"

I don't know why it was posted before. In my postings it has alwasy been to underline the fact that there is no difference in where an APL pilot came from - No more no less.

Apparently, there are people who have a problem with the decision of the Wholly Owend pilots that made the jump. They took a leap of faith and they will thrive or suffer along with the rest of AAA. A wedge will not be used on this pilot group. I don't need to repeat the obvious - appraently you know the story. If you act accordingly you wouldn't ever need to hear bla bla bla....

Now on to more important topics.

If you were a PSA F/O who interviewed and accepted employment after J4J was started, then why are you complaining?

You knew the deal. New airplanes come at a price. You would be required to share the jobs with those whose jobs were being replaced.

If you worked at PSA as a Dornier pilot prior to J4J - then you have J4J to thank for the existance of your company.

Or do J4J's have PSA to thank for their jobs?

Not at all. We would have gone wherever the jets went. As a matter of fact, many did. Mesa, Midway, Chatauqua, Trans States, PSA. If PSA weren't on that list, some other airline would have been and some of us would have went there.

Well then have at it. How's it worked for you so far? BTW 12,000 a year was very good money when the super connie was flying. I invite you to do the math.

Never been good at math. My guess is that inflation has increased disproportionally to the relative increase in pre and post deregulation newhire wages when weighed respectively. Inflation steals from us like a thief in the night.

Sorry if I offended you, I was ignorant (ill-informed) of your "birth cohort" demographics.

Dad's super connie paid a lot more and I stand corrected.

Try this link:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

I ran a quick calculation and assumed the TWA pilot was a FE in 1965 (chances are, it was probably much earlier).

$12,000 in 1965, in 2005 dollars, is now $71,497.

Not bad for first year pay. But that was back when it was a still a profession.

Working the other way, $12,000 in 1965 now only buys $2014.

Not at all. We would have gone wherever the jets went. As a matter of fact, many did. Mesa, Midway, Chatauqua, Trans States, PSA. If PSA weren't on that list, some other airline would have been and some of us would have went there.

But of course, everyone should be thankful for the GODS at AAA for sharing "the jets".

But of course, everyone should be thankful for the GODS at AAA for sharing "the jets".

Try not to be a jerk. I realize that must be a challenge.

If you could, put yourself in the shoes of the furloughees for a change. In a contract, SCOPE language defines what work is to be performed and by whome. The scope language in the USAir pilots working agreement was such that they owned that work.

Management, as you are well aware, wanted to outsource the work. After 09/11 they laid off (initially) over 1100 pilots and parked the fleet types those pilots had flown. (F100, DC9, MD80, 737-200)

The company CHOSE to replace those fleet types with CL65, and EMB145 products -- and later with 70 and 90 seat varients of the CL65 and the E170/190 platform.

ALPA, for some reason that still mystifies me, released that scope language. In exchange they simply asked (in their one pathetic attempt at misguided loyalty) that furloughed pilots be hired to fly some of those aircraft.

The PSA pilots, drooling at the suggestion that they might get to be "jet pilots", jumped at the opportunity. They knew what they were getting into. As it turns out the Dork-props were next on the chopping block and J4J saved the company.

PSA would not exist today were it not for those aircraft and, by virtue of the contractual arrangement, the J4J pilots who came with them.

The AAA "gods" gave you the "jets"? Pathetic. 1999 was a heck of a year for airline hiring. If you were unable to get a job with a major in 1999 you were either a private pilot or lacked the people-skills to function in public.

Listen Sven, if you wanted to fly "a jet" in the late 90s, all you had to do was pick an airline and successfully interview.

beatdeadhorse.gif

Back