Red Coats, Outsourcing Customer service ATO jobs?

usa1

Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Just curious, why was the " Red Coats, Outsourcing Customer service ATO jobs?" locked?

I started the thread to get some feedback from you guys on the question, "Will the new American outsource lots of traditional US Airways CS work to vendors the way the old American has. After watching the video my conclusion was Doug would not do it on his own but he knows the board of directors and stockholder will preasure him to do it so he tried to dodge it.    

They can't outsource unless you all become non-union or agree to it in a new CBA

usa1 said:
I started the thread to get some feedback from you guys on the question, "Will the new American outsource lots of traditional US Airways CS work to vendors the way the old American has. After watching the video my conclusion was Doug would not do it on his own but he knows the board of directors and stockholder will preasure him to do it so he tried to dodge it.
My guess- and it's just that- is that the "new" AA will try and outsource ads much as they can get away with. For now, the chorus of "we'll take the best from each carrier" will ring loudly, but watch for things to change after the noise dies down (12-18 months or so). It'll be a little here, and a little there, but steady nonetheless.

700's right about CBA's, but that won't stop them from pushing right up to any allowable threshold.

well said, Kev

it is worth noting how much everyone was high fiving after UA/CO only to realize that the economics just don't work the way it was predicted.

UA has had a revenue problem that is beginning to be resolved - but AA still has a very larger workforce compared to its peers and the revenue each generates.

Parker can make promises now and hold onto what he said to get the merger passed but the reality is that AA's costs WILL have to come down as the peak summer season gives way to winter.

given that a similar function at one of the two carriers (regardless of the attire) is outsourced provides a whole lot more "ammunition" for Centrepork to argue that they need to be outsourced in the larger airline as well.

All of you seem to forget that it is not just AA outsourcing jobs and ignoring contracts at every turn. It will continue wherever possible regardless of industry without interference from Congress because Congress is owned by Wall Street regardless of party affiliation. Wall Street thinks union workers are not as effective ("I don't have to do that. I'm a union member. You can't fire me.") and cost more than non-union workers.

And, our union leaders seem to have their heads stuck in the sand. I think they're all just hoping that the union survives until they retire.

jimntx said:
And, our union leaders seem to have their heads stuck in the sand. I think they're all just hoping that the union survives until they retire.

Me too! Without the union I might be wearing red before I get out of here!

No middleclass - No America?    

jimntx said:
("I don't have to do that. I'm a union member. You can't fire me.")
I have seen (a handful in 12 years) coworkers say exactly that.

I have also heard management say numerous times that American Airlines has the most efficient maintenance in the world (at high quality) in Tulsa. 

Anybody who is a true professional would never utter the words "I don't have to do that. I'm a union member. You can't fire me" just because they don't want to do a job.

American loves to complain about the UNIONs but, I don't ever hear them complain when they get a high quality heavy C in a week.  At least our guys bolt the damn seats down.

The question at the end of the day "Is American Airlines getting bang for their maintenance dollar" and I would have to say, yes they are, going off of what MANAGEMENT says.

I have seen (a handful in 12 years) coworkers say exactly that.
I hear it from flight attendants frequently. And, the sad part is that it comes out of the mouth of someone who OUGHT to be fired. (And, I think the speaker knows that if it weren't for the union, he/she would be out of a job.)

that's why unions have such a bad rap - when you have a teacher who abuses a child and you can't get them fired - that's when things have gone to far - everyone likes to complain about management - however there are things the unions are just as equally bad for the employees

jcw said:
that's why unions have such a bad rap - when you have a teacher who abuses a child and you can't get them fired
What are you talking about?

Child abuse is a criminal act. It sounds like you are listening to too much talk radio.

jcw said:
that's why unions have such a bad rap - when you have a teacher who abuses a child and you can't get them fired - that's when things have gone to far - everyone likes to complain about management - however there are things the unions are just as equally bad for the employees
Maybe they can't get fired, but when they go to jail,,,their cell mates will TEACH them a thing or two.

Let me try another example there is a gate agent who is so mean and nasty to deadheading crew or crew commuting - I see it every week however nothing can be done about it - she should be fired - she is will actually go and hide behind the gate leaving it to the other agent to check crew in - she also refuses to let them board until every other passenger is boarded

Latest posts

Back