Red Coats, Outsourcing Customer service ATO jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Red Coats at PM US are SARS, Special Assistance Representatives and they are under the CBA.

Reactions: 3 people
The meaning of the red coats has certainly changed over the years. They used to be supervisory (i.e. lead agents), similar to the SAR's at US.

Now, at AA they're apparently the old PSR position which wore grey coats... They're queue minders and direction givers.

They're not Sabre trained, and not qualified to do anything that a skilled worker like a ticket agent would do.

Reactions: 1 person
SARS at US are not management, nor leads, they are below agents.

They drive the special assist carts and take care of UMs etc...

Reactions: 2 people
eolesen said:
The meaning of the red coats has certainly changed over the years. They used to be supervisory (i.e. lead agents), similar to the SAR's at US.

Now, at AA they're apparently the old PSR position which wore grey coats... They're queue minders and direction givers.

They're not Sabre trained, and not qualified to do anything that a skilled worker like a ticket agent would do.

700UW said:
SARS at US are not management, nor leads, they are below agents.

They drive the special assist carts and take care of UMs etc...
and with all due respect, the idea of an airline red coat came from neither AA or US, and neither AA or US red coats have the same meaning as the way it was defined where it was invented and still means the same thing.

having someone in a highly visible uniform (regardless of what it looks like) that functions as LESS than an agent is precisely the problem.

Reactions: 1 person
Red coats are cheap labor? If America loses many more middle class options the cards collapse .... on all of us.  

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
and with all due respect, the idea of an airline red coat came from neither AA or US, and neither AA or US red coats have the same meaning as the way it was defined where it was invented and still means the same thing.
You must be referring to the British Military, right? They more or less invented the idea of the red coat in the 1500's, and extended it to their entire military in the 1600's. The idea was to use a color which would stand out on the battlefield, and avoid friendly fire incidents...

The first US transportation adaptation of this practice was in 1890, when porters in railroad stations started wearing red caps to make themselves highly visible to passengers, and to stand out from all the other people wearing hats at the time.

Yes, WT, I know it's probably a bitter pill to swallow, but you'll just have to accept that the use of someone wearing the color red to stand out in a crowd really did exist long before a crop dusting service in Monroe existed and started using it for their agents...

Reactions: 9 people
Thanks E. I see after you quoted him that he just had to attribute the red coat to some mystical, legacy carrier, headquartered in ATL, that dominates the interior hubs from where it is the dominant, legacy, interior hub carrier, that had people wearing red coats.

Reactions: 3 people
I have seen UA utilizing contract agents at their ticket counter to assist with baggage etc. I must say that it looks very poor to have a bunch of clueless goons in yellow shirts mixed with UA agents behind the counter. Passenger's attempt to ask them questions not knowing that they aren't part of the airline, and they know absolutely zero about ticketing or even flight information.

LAS has had RED coats for over two years. And it still baffles me that our AA agents refuse to see the slight benefit to being organized! 

You must be referring to the British Military, right? They more or less invented the idea of the red coat in the 1500's, and extended it to their entire military in the 1600's. The idea was to use a color which would stand out on the battlefield, and avoid friendly fire incidents...

The first US transportation adaptation of this practice was in 1890, when porters in railroad stations started wearing red caps to make themselves highly visible to passengers, and to stand out from all the other people wearing hats at the time.

Yes, WT, I know it's probably a bitter pill to swallow, but you'll just have to accept that the use of someone wearing the color red to stand out in a crowd really did exist long before a crop dusting service in Monroe existed and started using it for their agents...
yes, after a couple peaceful days on the board, you had to come along and raise your leg on the fire hydrant to mark your territory. MY dog is better trained and behaved than you. I'd also say from what you have written here, he is more intelligent too. any American school child that wasn't in a coma for their elementary education gets the concept of the British military and red coats.

No, it isn't a disease. it is just the way nature is.

you said it years ago.... you can't stand having anyone else challenge your position on this board. Your actions ever since have proven your point.... the thought of someone else providing prospective is too much for you to to handle and sends you over the edge.

thanks for the history lesson but can you let us know what aircraft the BRITISH military flew in PASSENGER service?

can you tell us what AIRCRAFT the railroads used in their passenger service?

Now, we know that you are already foaming at the mouth, but the statement was about US AIRLINES using the red coat.

can you tell us which one introduced the red coat into passenger service?

and for the bonus question, tell us what are the functions that other airline uses their red coat agents for? specific to the question here, are the red coat agents at the other airline MORE OR LESS qualified and trained than an agent?

I know you are shaking having to admit the truth, but the world is watching you so try to do the right thing.

I have seen UA utilizing contract agents at their ticket counter to assist with baggage etc. I must say that it looks very poor to have a bunch of clueless goons in yellow shirts mixed with UA agents behind the counter. Passenger's attempt to ask them questions not knowing that they aren't part of the airline, and they know absolutely zero about ticketing or even flight information.
absolutely.  bingo. bingo.

skycaps are one thing. mixing contract and airline employed agents creates confusion - and then when you have an IROP a type of employee that the world recognizes as capable of providing passenger SERVICE expertise cannot do it because that is not what they have been deployed at THAT airline.

LAS has had RED coats for over two years. And it still baffles me that our AA agents refuse to see the slight benefit to being organized!
except that 700 just admitted that US does the same thing and they are unionized.

it has NOTHING To do with being unionized. It has to do with mgmt. creating a second class of airline employees who aren't trained as agents but yet who are attired to look like the way at least one airline attires a super agent, or as some of the press has called them, Uber agents. (on the irony)

specific to the employee who asked the question of Parker, yes, it is a set up for a confrontation with US' union and for a highly visible passenger service function to become outsourced....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts