Red Coats, Outsourcing Customer service ATO jobs?

jcw said:
Let me try another example there is a gate agent who is so mean and nasty to deadheading crew or crew commuting - I see it every week however nothing can be done about it - she should be fired - she is will actually go and hide behind the gate leaving it to the other agent to check crew in - she also refuses to let them board until every other passenger is boarded
And how about the DH’s and commuters who are so mean and nasty that want to board in front of everybody and fill up the overheads with 4 carryon’s

When did AA res and Customer Service Agents join a union?  For as long as I can remember, those workgroups have always been non-union at AA.

The NMB is going to schedule a vote if enough cards are signed and turned in due to the merger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN4Xbnozslw&feature=youtu.be

Some interesting comments on here about people that others think should not be working with them or should be fired. Here's the thing. You can't blame a Union rep for management not doing their job. It's up to management to reprimand an employee if they're not measuring up to company policy. There's a misnomer out there that Unions save jobs for deadbeats. No, a Union reps job is to uphold his or her contract and make sure that the company is line with their own policy if they want to reprimand someone.

If discipline is felt to be unfair to a member they will go through the grievance procedure and either be made whole (punishment removed) or it will be upheld. If the company follows their own guidelines and crosses their T's and dots their I's, a member can be eventually terminated and that termination will stick. 

It is rare that someone get's terminated for poor performance. Not because the union rep saves them but because if they get enough paperwork on them that usually serves as enough of a warning for that person to finally straiten up and fly right. Attendance occurrences at AA is the one issue that if people are terminated I rarely see people come back from (Give em enough rope)

And don't condemn others because there may be just as many people saying the same thing about you?

There's this (manufactured) idea out there that reps spend 90% of their time getting people out of jail... 

My experience was the opposite, with most of my time spent doing what most would consider positive things (working with mgmt. to fix safety issues, hammering out shift bids, helping parents with IAM scholarship info, navigating retirement ppwk,. and so on)...

I'm willing to bet that's the rule & not the exception, but that doesn't make for nearly as dramatic of story...

I'd add on that many times a someone whose actions may merit formal discipline slips through because a manager hasn't bothered to do their due diligence. 

To those that may counter that management shouldn't have to go to those lengths, I'd counter by asking if they prefer one who shoots first & asks questions later. That's an ugly crossfire to be caught in- it's even worse when you're At- Will and have no recourse...

Plus as a union rep you have what's called duty of fair representation , or the employee can sue. Many time you have to go through the motions knowing the employee will be fired. The is a set of rules the employee has to follow along with the company . The union is there to uphold the rules on both sides.

diamondcutter said:
Plus as a union rep you have what's called duty of fair representation , or the employee can sue. Many time you have to go through the motions knowing the employee will be fired. The is a set of rules the employee has to follow along with the company . The union is there to uphold the rules on both sides.
As a Steward I found that to be one of the most difficult parts of the job. It's not an easy thing to tell someone that they are about to be fired, and a good steward should always try to be as honest with the member as possible. The look on that person's face is always the same and you think a lot of different thoughts. I wish I had gotten to this person sooner, why didn't they listen, is there anything I can do to get them out of this, did I miss something. Those are the thoughts when it was the employees own record that did them in.

If anyone thinks that being a Steward is an easy thing and comes with money and perks I challenge you to give it a go for one year. When you can get someone out of trouble or solve an issue it's a great feeling. But when you can't it does weigh on your mind.

WeAAsles said:
It's not an easy thing to tell someone that they are about to be fired, and a good steward should always try to be as honest with the member as possible.
It's also never easy to have to tell someone that a grievance they have brought forth isn't valid & why.
If anyone thinks that being a Steward is an easy thing and comes with money and perks I challenge you to give it a go for one year.
They won't. The people that say those things find it much easier to take shots from the bleachers...

WeAAsles said:
It's not an easy thing to tell someone that they are about to be fired, and a good steward should always try to be as honest with the member as possible. 

"They can do that brother"

"Fraternally yours"

Josh

There is a difference between a grievance and a gripe, and the contract is quite clear.

Latest posts

Back