Redefining excellence

I think that the whole thing sucks. When I'm not working flights, I'm a skycap pushing wheelchairs.

There's not as much down time as there used to be. :down: :down: :down: :down:

Is it realistic to expect down time, other than for breaks, and for lunch? The other time is Company paid for, on-duty time, yes?

Is it realistic to expect down time, other than for breaks, and for lunch? The other time is Company paid for, on-duty time, yes?

As long as the on-duty time is spent working flights instead of pushing wheelchairs, then not a problem.

But if they need more skycaps, they should hire some more and not put the burden on Ops. It's ridiculous. :down:

YOu know, a consultant is someone who has never done the work, but has the gift of knowing how to do it better. What I think they need to have these consultants do is come in, and do that job for one week...THEN make their recommendations. It's easy to make something more efficient when you are only working with theories and have never actually performed the functions you are going to make more efficient.

Agree, but I've always thought that putting anyone to the test for a specified length of time would accomplish nothing. I think they should be told that they would be doing this job (any job in question) indefinitely. When one knows they only have a week or a month...they can do just about anything. If they know that there is NO end in sight even if it might be just around the corner....the worker (or consultant in this situation) just might "get it" and things might change.

As long as the on-duty time is spent working flights instead of pushing wheelchairs, then not a problem.

But if they need more skycaps, they should hire some more and not put the burden on Ops. It's ridiculous. :down:

I do certainly understand your position. One of Gary's 3 biggest words is productivity. And, my belief is that he won't be willing to let Ops Agent's, or other employees have paid down-time, anymore, when there are other jobs that need to be done, that will utilize the employees' time and SWA's dollars, better. The Cheese is Moving!

I do certainly understand your position. One of Gary's 3 biggest words is productivity. And, my belief is that he won't be willing to let Ops Agent's, or other employees have paid down-time, anymore, when there are other jobs that need to be done, that will utilize the employees' time and SWA's dollars, better. The Cheese is Moving!

Who said anything about cheese? Hire some Skycaps, for cryin' out loud!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

WN if you really worked for WN you would understand what txskygal meant when she said "The Cheese is Moving".

Oh for cryin out loud - can't anyone take a joke anymore?

I know what the moving cheese is all about - as in "Who moved my cheese."

Gimme a break. :p

:angry: :angry: :angry: Here we go again and rx making up new rules. they couldn't fudge the numbers to make themselves look good, so guess what, they have reset the parameters. They are going to be able to walk away from LAS and leave it turmoil just like they did a year ago.

I overheard one of them on their cell phone talking the other day how much of "a zoo this place is" and that they've "never seen so many people(i.e. Customers). This is why no one respects them nor their advise. They come in take a cursory look and don't actully work the space. They say, "oh, you've done everything so wrong for the past 25 years and we are here to help." If we've made so many mistake's and been as lousy as you say we've been, I want someone from rx to answer two questions. 1. why has SWA grown so much in LAS and contiue's to grow. 2. EVERYTIME someone from HDQ comes to LAS comes here they tell how great we are.

I have been with SWA since LAS was considered a small station and LUV SWA. I know that dirty laundry shouldn't be aired on such an open forum, but this is nuts. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Exactly so. It seems to me these consultants need to observe at a station for at least one full week to truly see the ebb and flow of activity. During that time, they should be asking questions about why you're doing this, why don't you do that, etc. 99% of the time this will be a waste of your time and an annoyance because, from experience, you know the most efficient way to do your job. But maybe 1% of the time they'll ask a question or make a suggestion that's new, fresh and could lead to a real improvement. Unfortunately, it sounds like their observing is far too cursory to result in anything except pain for you and paychecks for them.

Sounds like someone in your management is taking a page out of the US Airways Tempe novel.

BE AFRAID!! BE VERY AFRAID!! :eek:

For example in our bag room:
1. They designed a system to get our customers through the ticket couter line more efficiently. As a result the conveyer syytem can't handle the load.

2. They are trying to operate with les people in the bag room. In turn there is not enough people to pick up the bags and now the carousels are overloaded because the bags are coming to fast. Resulting in large amounts of bags that are missing their flights. At $75 per missed bag and a pissed off customer.

Looks like US CLT to me

:angry: :angry: :angry: Here we go again and rx making up new rules. they couldn't fudge the numbers to make themselves look good, so guess what, they have reset the parameters. They are going to be able to walk away from LAS and leave it turmoil just like they did a year ago.

I overheard one of them on their cell phone talking the other day how much of "a zoo this place is" and that they've "never seen so many people(i.e. Customers). This is why no one respects them nor their advise. They come in take a cursory look and don't actully work the space. They say, "oh, you've done everything so wrong for the past 25 years and we are here to help." If we've made so many mistake's and been as lousy as you say we've been, I want someone from rx to answer two questions. 1. why has SWA grown so much in LAS and contiue's to grow. 2. EVERYTIME someone from HDQ comes to LAS comes here they tell how great we are.

I have been with SWA since LAS was considered a small station and LUV SWA. I know that dirty laundry shouldn't be aired on such an open forum, but this is nuts. :angry: :angry: :angry:
well said

Rather than pay expensive consultants to help make the operation "more efficient", why not ask the employees who actually work the operation?

One thing that was VERY effective at AA was when they had the program that rewarded employees a percentage of the savings that their ideas generated. I believe that the program was called "IdeAAs" or something like that.

Why can't Southwest do something like that? I get very skeptical about "observers" who magically conjure something up after 5 days of observing the operations.

That being said, I'm not sure that WN has much to cut.

Rather than pay expensive consultants to help make the operation "more efficient", why not ask the employees who actually work the operation?

One thing that was VERY effective at AA was when they had the program that rewarded employees a percentage of the savings that their ideas generated. I believe that the program was called "IdeAAs" or something like that.

Why can't Southwest do something like that? I get very skeptical about "observers" who magically conjure something up after 5 days of observing the operations.

That being said, I'm not sure that WN has much to cut.
the ultimate goal is to make the airline more efficient. I understand the concept. I don't understand when decisions are made that jeopardize the entire operation thus eliminating any efficiency that might have been created. Its time for Rx to step back and realize that LAS isn't going to run like BWI.

Back