Rumor: Auckland and Abu Dhabi announcement

eolesen said:
Transpac? PEK would be the obvious choice, maybe ICN or KIX?

To my knowledge, the three routes specifically identified as being evaluated from LAX are PEK, ICN and HKG.  KIX is already covered via JV partner JAL.

From LAX, what about TPE? Or is it just too crowded with the other alliances? Additionally, what about the second-tier cities in China (that aren't PEK or PVG)? UA has tried a couple of them, CAN and CTU, IIRC. In Japan, what about NGO?

In Japan, I'd expect KIX long before NGO in terms of critical mass.

In China, I think CAN is too close to HKG and having done business there, I preferred to fly into HKG and endure the shorthaul to CAN *or* just take the train & bypass the airport in CAN (which is pretty far out from the city). CTU would be less risky.

could of sworn that when UA got the first batch of 788s thats when they began the CTU SFO run   then upgraded it to a -9 series    I wonder though if AA would also get into CTU market  and may be a few of the interior markets of China​

eolesen said:

In China, I think CAN is too close to HKG and having done business there, I preferred to fly into HKG and endure the shorthaul to CAN *or* just take the train & bypass the airport in CAN (which is pretty far out from the city). CTU would be less risky.

I agree about Osaka but I respectfully disagree on Guangzhou.  The airport is only about 20 miles from the city.  Hong Kong has got to be 80 or so. 

Traffic in Guangzhou can be pretty bad -- the roads haven't kept up with the city's growth (a common problem in China...), so depending on the time of day, landing in HKG, taking the MTR out to Hung Hom and then the express train from there to Guangzhou East can be as long as waiting on a connecting flight from HKG to CAN, and dealing with the surface traffic there. Personally, being stuck in Guangzhou traffic sucks. At least on the train, you can get up to use the lavatory.

eolesen said:
Traffic in Guangzhou can be pretty bad -- the roads haven't kept up with the city's growth (a common problem in China...), so depending on the time of day, landing in HKG, taking the MTR out to Hung Hom and then the express train from there to Guangzhou East can be as long as waiting on a connecting flight from HKG to CAN, and dealing with the surface traffic there. Personally, being stuck in Guangzhou traffic sucks. At least on the train, you can get up to use the lavatory.

Are you aware that CAN airport is connected to the city's subway system?

I am absolutely confident that AA will start entering secondary China from LAX, but give it 2-3 years to build up a network of the "Big 5" (and maybe Nagoya, too, with JAL taking care of Osaka already) first. 

dariencc said:
Are you aware that CAN airport is connected to the city's subway system?
Absolutely. Did you miss the part where I was working there?... I used it every weekend to get to Walmart and go sightseeing, not that there's much to see in Guangzhoi... it's like going to Akron, OH or Peoria, IL.

From the district I was staying in, 广州地铁 meant a wonderful hour or so two-seat ride between downtown and the airport, with not exactly convenient transfers between lines (especially early hours when the escalators are turned off). And, it doesn't run 24/7.

eolesen said:

Train is not as certain from HKG to CAN as in Japan, as twice the train we wanted to take between Hong Kong and  was sold out.  Nothing worse than arriving in HKG after flying from the states and trying to by tickets to CAN , but finding there are no seats for sale between HKG and CAN. I would love to see AA re-enter KIX, as the 2 flights I have have between DFW and KIX were filled up front.  Perhaps the 787 would make this route work.    

A330US said:
so no new devs on AUH ?
American service to the region, via Diego Garcia.

Diego-GarciaB-2-Split-runner-4.jpg

Reactions: 2 people