Scheduling and the FAA

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
FAA TO ENFORCE 24/7 REST FOR RESERVES AT US AIRWAYS

The FAA has notified US Airways the Company is not in compliance with FAR section 121.467(B)(13)- 24-hour-in-7 day rest requirement. The cited section requires that a Flight Attendant be given a rest period of 24 consecutive hours during any seven (7) consecutive calendar days. Line holders have never been permitted to fly more than six (6) consecutive days without the required rest, however for decades US Airways has operated under the presumption that a reserve who is scheduled on duty, but who has not been given a "duty period assignment" (trip), is receiving a 24 consecutive hour break. In short, the FAA views a reserve duty day no differently than a trip assignment, and therefore, reserves will not be permitted to be on duty or fly for more than six (6) consecutive days without a 24 consecutive hour rest period.

This issue has gone back and forth between the FAA, the AFA, other Flight Attendant unions and various airlines for over a decade. On September 12, 2006 the FAA met with the Company and AFA MEC President, Mike Flores and directed the Company to comply with the FAR "expeditiously". The FAA cited numerous complaints from US Airways Flight Attendants as a partial explanation for their focus on US Airways. Within the past two years the FAA has required other airlines, notably Northwest and American, to comply with the FAR.

The FAA directive is going to have repercussions for all Flight Attendants and the Company. At the onset, the ability for reserves to use the ETB as they have in the past may be seriously jeopardized; restrictions placed on ETB pick ups for reserves may also limit the pool line holders can drop into; split trips may increase and month to month transition of reserve lines will be affected.

Our contract contains many provisions that are based on a different interpretation than the FAA is now going to require. Unfortunately, FAR language and interpretation supersede contract language.

The Union and the Company are both fully aware of the impact this directive will have on many Flight Attendants and we have agreed to work together to try to limit that impact for both the short and long-term. In order to begin complying with the FAA directive the Company has built the October reserve lines to contain no more than six (6) consecutive days on duty. Reserve line construction is the first step in the compliance process and the Company will meet with the negotiating committee and the MEC Reserve Chairperson, Sherri Baker, on Monday September 18th to begin discussions for other interim solutions.

The negotiating committee will also address the long-term impact of this directive as we negotiate the reserve section in the merged contract negotiation.

The Union is committed to ALL of our members as we react to the FAA directive.

Honestly, I'm surprised none of you saw this ever coming. I've been here since 1989 and have always wondered why a RSV pilot had to have this 24 hour break, but we F/A's didn't. US was just abusing the rule. They knew damn well that this was a violation. I brought this up amny times to Sched, our Union, and management, and they all blew it off. Also, When this does change, don't let them move one of your days. Just as with the pilots, we will get a 24 hour break. I know lots of pilots who sched. their days during the month so they will have to get that extra 24 off. This particularly will come into effect between two months. Finally. Hey, maybe now our crap union can get Pref. Bidding also. or latex gloves we were promised.

Just printed the PHL reserve lines for October from the HUB. They apparently have adjusted the schedules accordingly. There are NO 7day on duty periods at all. The longest on duty period now is 6 days. LOVE....absolutely LOVE it. The company cetainly DID know they were violating the contract with this rule. They abused it ALL the time. :up:

Just printed the PHL reserve lines for October from the HUB. They apparently have adjusted the schedules accordingly. There are NO 7day on duty periods at all. The longest on duty period now is 6 days. LOVE....absolutely LOVE it. The company cetainly DID know they were violating the contract with this rule. They abused it ALL the time. :up:

Abused the rule? How aout a F/A that scheduled themselves for an ETB trip over their OFF days - were they also abusing the rule?

This is going to basically eliminate that scenario. RSV's are going to be severely limited in legally picking up an ETB trip, and still be legal for their duty stretch. It is also going to be a sea change for commuting RSV's - there will be more groups of OFF and INV days with less days in each group.

Also, any flexibility we might have had with regard to moving and/or swapping of OFF/INV days will be similarly curtailed. The system will certainly survive the implementation of the rule, and I'm sure the union and the company will try to make it as seamless as possible, but as one who has worked in both pilot and f/a scheduling, it is certainly going to have an effect on schedule flexibility and the ETB.

Yeah, do you know who this is really truly gonna hurt? The blockholder trying to drop that baby on the ETB. Won't be that many reserves able to p/u the trip now..... Those blockholders who got po'd will see how lucky they were to have the reserves picking the trips up. It will blow for those that choose the ETB on reserve to have a somewhat better paycheck. It will still be possible though. Just not as much.

Yeah, do you know who this is really truly gonna hurt? The blockholder trying to drop that baby on the ETB. Won't be that many able to p/u the trip now..... what comes around goes around for those that abused and had their "click". It will blow for those that choose the ETB on reserve to have a somewhat better paycheck. It will still be possible though. Just not as much.

Especially 3 and 4 day trips - they will be very difficult to trade on the ETB. Including ITD trips.

It's a little unfortunate like I said for those that liked to do it. The clicks that "were" will find it harder now as well. Well what comes around goes around. As for me.....I'm glad they finally are following the rule. I had to go round and round with the 30/7 crap the other day. The calculator doesn't lie I told the scheduler. I argued for 10 minutes about taking the trip. I WON THE ARGUEMENT. ;)

First of all, our union has known about this since I was hired in "89". They just chose to overlook it. Had they addressed this anytime back then, this wouldn't be such a shock. Also, ILg30/7, just put more pressure on our union. First, to either put in Pref. Bid, and second, to change this pathetic RSV system. You know, the one they promised all the RSV's with Pref. Bid attached. In other words, hold them, our Union reps, responsible for their actions. Wasn't TG in Philly on that neg. committee that went around to all of our bases and told us how good this was going to be? Everyone seems to forget. Therse are big issues, that need to stay in the forefront.

Well lets be honest here. The union knew about it yet was to do what? The company does what it wants. Always has and probably always will. There are rules broken every day. Now look how long it took the government(FAA) to fix the problem. Maybe we can get OSHA protection by the year 2020. The union had issues with this for ages as with other airlines as well. They can't make the government or the company for that matter change what they do just because the union said so. I'm just glad it changed. :up:

FAA TO ENFORCE 24/7 REST FOR RESERVES AT US AIRWAYS

The FAA has notified US Airways the Company is not in compliance with FAR section 121.467(B)(13)- 24-hour-in-7 day rest requirement. The cited section requires that a Flight Attendant be given a rest period of 24 consecutive hours during any seven (7) consecutive calendar days. Line holders have never been permitted to fly more than six (6) consecutive days without the required rest, however for decades US Airways has operated under the presumption that a reserve who is scheduled on duty, but who has not been given a "duty period assignment" (trip), is receiving a 24 consecutive hour break. In short, the FAA views a reserve duty day no differently than a trip assignment, and therefore, reserves will not be permitted to be on duty or fly for more than six (6) consecutive days without a 24 consecutive hour rest period.

OK---so let me get this right....If I am on duty for a 6 day stretch but not flying for the first 5 days... then the company calls me, says they're short and have to take away my off days to fly a 3 day basically I am only good for a one day and then I need my 24 hour break ?? That's the way I'm understanding it.....

Yep, this is going to be one big mess as far as folks picking up stuff off the ETB....and this has been an FAR for how many years ???

If I start breaking FAR's I'd get my pink slip-----I never ceased to be amazed.

I'm just glad it changed. :up:

I'm glad it changed too but I don't pick up on the ETB. Perhaps one answer might be to match us with our West RSV counterparts that get 12 days off instead of 11.....but then they'll want a 3:30 back....and we just got up to 73 hours :eek:

Hi everyone. as I end my vacation I look forward to returning to Philadelphia. With the latest eline from our MEC it seems this is going to be the final knockout punch for the reserves. This is beyond horrific as I have been taking calls from reserves that depend on the ETB to make ends meet. With the reserve group not breaking guarantee its the only way for some to reach what they were making 3 years ago.No one likes giving up off time in a system where one should be able to make there 85 hours on duty days but now that will seemingly be taken away.The system is flawed from the start. This is going to have a major impact on everyone but mainly reserve using the etb. I ask you why LA has not written out with her thoughts on this issue! That would be the first thing on my agenda. At least let people know your devising a game plan but as usual LA is nowhere to be found. Like TV stations trying to boost ratings she writes out on 9/11 but fails to mention any vital issues that face this coucil.The reserve system must be revamped now as this system minus the etb just went from deplorable to uninhabitable. I ask you if LA is someone you think will deliver you something livable? People, there is an impostor among us in LA and the sooner she is removed from her position the sooner we can get things back on track. She cant and won't deliver. ;)

Hi everyone. as I end my vacation I look forward to returning to Philadelphia. With the latest eline from our MEC it seems this is going to be the final knockout punch for the reserves. This is beyond horrific as I have been taking calls from reserves that depend on the ETB to make ends meet. With the reserve group not breaking guarantee its the only way for some to reach what they were making 3 years ago.No one likes giving up off time in a system where one should be able to make there 85 hours on duty days but now that will seemingly be taken away.The system is flawed from the start. This is going to have a major impact on everyone but mainly reserve using the etb. I ask you why LA has not written out with her thoughts on this issue! That would be the first thing on my agenda. At least let people know your devising a game plan but as usual LA is nowhere to be found. Like TV stations trying to boost ratings she writes out on 9/11 but fails to mention any vital issues that face this coucil.The reserve system must be revamped now as this system minus the etb just went from deplorable to uninhabitable. I ask you if LA is someone you think will deliver you something livable? People, there is an impostor among us in LA and the sooner she is removed from her position the sooner we can get things back on track. She cant and won't deliver. ;)
Let's not push this all on LA, you have been here longer than I have. You have been a Union officer and a Neg Rep. Hadn't you ever wondered why pilots had this and RSV F/A's ddin't? If you didn't, then you had your head in the sand. Pilots were always splitting off my trips due to this FAR. What a joke that noone from our union ever followed up on this. Hey, maybe if you followed up on Pref. Bid, like you neg. for us, that might eliviate some of this mess. What the hell do we have to do? Damn, you are our leaders, we trust you(somewhat), but RSV's always seem to get shafted. I may not have agreed with everything TX proposed, but at least she had nads.P.S. This is not the LA bashing thread, this is the one about our union reps letting the RSV';s down again. The LA bshing thread can be found on the main page.