Scheduling and the FAA

RESERVE = B-R-O-K-E!!! The reserves on the property are on the verge of going postal on any given day. Now this?!? Everyone hide! I wonder if the company will bring back "the options" (55,65,75)? Well, the blockholders wanted only "blockholders" to hold their ETB trips. Guess what? More of you want to drop than pick up! Good luck ladies! :rolleyes: What a mess this place is! The more things change.........

Pittbull...did I miss something???

I really don't see where the recall would be coming from. It would just be a shifting in days on duty...

Help me out here...explain. I really don't understand what you mean.

Just a thought here, but is it unrealistic to make a distinction between the language of 'on call' vs 'on duty'? This mandate will severly change the dynamics of our trade board and all who use it, both for picking up and dropping trips.

It is VERY unrealistic to make that distinction. When I am "on call" I AM on duty. I can't go more than 1.5 hours from the airport and if I go that far, I better have my suitcase and uniform in my car....I can't have a glass of wine with dinner because I am "on duty". Even if I am not on the actual A/C my life is in the companies hands until I get to my OFF/INV days. We will start to see a lot more splits which unfortuneately won't be paying the 5 hour min day that we lost. However, mgmt. has known about this and chosen to ignore it....par for the course.

To think that this change is NOT gonna cause staffing troubles is crazy. When you have a large portion of flight attendants going offduty the next day into INV/OFF days what shall scheduling do with all the trips that are two or more days? Split them, and then the next day? It will be crazy and TONS of deadheads it seems. Goodluck with anyone picking a blockholders trip up. Gonna be crazy to say the least.

Why cant they go back to old reserve system? That seemed to have worked.(for reserves) OR do whatever they do out west? They all seem to get their time in. Are we just that over staffed?

Honestly, I'm surprised none of you saw this ever coming. I've been here since 1989 and have always wondered why a RSV pilot had to have this 24 hour break, but we F/A's didn't. US was just abusing the rule. They knew damn well that this was a violation. I brought this up amny times to Sched, our Union, and management, and they all blew it off. Also, When this does change, don't let them move one of your days. Just as with the pilots, we will get a 24 hour break. I know lots of pilots who sched. their days during the month so they will have to get that extra 24 off. This particularly will come into effect between two months. Finally. Hey, maybe now our crap union can get Pref. Bidding also. or latex gloves we were promised.

The union is too busy grieving the fact that they do not have space positive instead of fighting issues for flight attendants. The letter from the FAA to the airlines was dated April 29, 2005 and the union has known about the letter the whole time. The union should have been fighting for the reserves and their rights. Mike Flores only cares about himself and no one else. If it does not affect him then it does not matter. PHL, CLT, BOS, LGA, PIT and DCA have all known about this. The company has been violating FAR 121.467 with the unions approval. This is unacceptable. The contract does state that days off are to be in no less than 2 day off periods at a time so no do not allow them to get away with just moving a day off. The pilots get an illegal day and so shall we. There is still going to be a problem with the beginning of the month of October and the end of the month of October because 6 day periods were scheduled. The f/a who have lines who are call in the previous or prior months will be on call for periods of 7 or more days. n This is definitely a win win for the reserves. And this should show the union that reserves will take action into their own hands when the union will not fight for us. So for whoever did this thank you.

It would be awesome to go back to the old reserve system but I doubt we would EVER see that happen. Highly unlikely. I also just realized that I go on duty as many do here in phl for 7 days. So now what? Also I'm on duty for the last 6. So if I'm off the last 6 and on the first 3 to 6 of Oct do I get a 24hour break? This is truly weird.

It would be awesome to go back to the old reserve system but I doubt we would EVER see that happen. Highly unlikely. I also just realized that I go on duty as many do here in phl for 7 days. So now what? Also I'm on duty for the last 6. So if I'm off the last 6 and on the first 3 to 6 of Oct do I get a 24hour break? This is truly weird.

AFA and FAA were supposed to be meeting today. There should be info forthcoming.

Yes you do!!! You should get an illegal day like the pilots do. By day 7 you will need to be free of ALL CONTACT from the company for 24 hours. Of course this will depend on what schedule you get for the month of November.

This is going to be a real mess. I don't think blockholders understand how this is going to impact them as well. Something like 60% of the dropped ETB trips are currently picked up by RESERVES in PHL.

Pittbull...did I miss something???

I really don't see where the recall would be coming from. It would just be a shifting in days on duty...

Help me out here...explain. I really don't understand what you mean.

It definitely will require a recall of flight attendants. Will not have enough. Just wait and see. That is why the company has not been complying and why the union has not been pushing the issue either.

fighting for the reserves and their rights. Mike Flores only cares about himself and no one else. If it does not affect him then it does not matter. PHL, CLT, BOS, LGA, PIT and DCA have all known about this. The company has been violating FAR 121.467 with the unions approval. This is unacceptable. The contract does state that days off are to be in no less than 2 day off periods at a time so no do not allow them to get away with just moving a day off. The pilots get an illegal day and so shall we. There is still going to be a problem with the beginning of the month of October and the end of the month of October because 6 day periods were scheduled. The f/a who have lines who are call in the previous or prior months will be on call for periods of 7 or more days. n This is definitely a win win for the reserves. And this should show the union that reserves will take action into their own hands when the union will not fight for us. So for whoever did this thank you.

Teddy was the MEC Pres at the time. Why didn't she do anything? You attack Mike, yet the Greek Goddess and the fact that she was in "power" when this came out doesn't warrant a mere mention???? (Mike didn't take over until October 2005, btw)

It definitely will require a recall of flight attendants. Will not have enough. Just wait and see. That is why the company has not been complying and why the union has not been pushing the issue either.

Again, I can't envision a scenario where this is going to happen. This interpretation was put into effect for pilots in 1999 without a major disruption, and at the time they were staffed far more tightly than the flight attendants are now. It will cause a slight ineffeciency. You will see reserve lines changed to more closely mirror pilot reserve lines. There will be more groups of days with fewer OFF/INV days in each. There will also probably be more types of reserve lines so you do not have a large group going off or coming on on any one day. And it will be more difficult to move or swap reserve days, with the exception of vacation slide. It will be an adjustment for the company and the flight attendants. But huge numbers of recalls / new hires? No.

Latest posts

Back