Should Southwest have more then 737s?

B737 driver

Veteran
Jul 6, 2017
I saw where the head of SWAPA said we might should have more than 737s, thoughts? Mix of other Boeings or Airbus?

What is his/her reasoning for adding a/c types to the mix? Southwest has always had lower maintenance costs by having only one airplane to maintain. To just say, "We need a mix of airplane types" requires justification. Whether for business, safety, or casual whim reasons, the pilot needs to provide a reason for a statement like that. Why not "we need hot tubs instead of galleys on the MAX 8's?"

What is his/her reasoning for adding a/c types to the mix? Southwest has always had lower maintenance costs by having only one airplane to maintain. To just say, "We need a mix of airplane types" requires justification. Whether for business, safety, or casual whim reasons, the pilot needs to provide a reason for a statement like that. Why not "we need hot tubs instead of galleys on the MAX 8's?"
It was SWAPA frustration, and the realization how vulnerable you are with one type of aircraft. Even when Boeing and the regulators recertify the Max to fly again with MCAS system is fixed, you still have the reliability issue of the Leap Engine shut downs. Will G.E. address that issue. The -7 engine is very reliable compared to the Leap. Even the -3 engine was more reliable. These will be an issue just like the BR715 was on the B717. If SWA wants ETOPS on the Max, the engine needs to be as reliable as the _7 B engine is. It really surprised me when the Navy took the F35, last single engine jet we operated was the A7.

Remember even GK said some day we will have to entertain another option. Maybe that some day is near now that the Max 8 just sped up the clock. And never say never on a wide body at SWA. With the more and more international options popping up, it may end up being a no brainer to entertain another model at some point and time when SWA plans to pull that trigger. I also think if slowly done SWA will handle it very well and profitable as they do all the other city startups.

Remember even GK said some day we will have to entertain another option. Maybe that some day is near now that the Max 8 just sped up the clock. And never say never on a wide body at SWA. With the more and more international options popping up, it may end up being a no brainer to entertain another model at some point and time when SWA plans to pull that trigger. I also think if slowly done SWA will handle it very well and profitable as they do all the other city startups.
I think you could profitably operate two types of aircraft, it's not like we are trying to be Delta Airlines.

Well, one thing you can count on...
If WN goes to more than one a/c type, no matter what a/c is chosen, there will be someone who will post here that it was the wrong choice.:D

If WN goes to more than one a/c type, no matter what a/c is chosen, there will be someone who will post here that it was the wrong choice.:D
It wasn't SWA fault Boeing tried to cheap out on a flawed design and killed people. SWA will make a business decision and if they go to Airbus, it will be Boeing's fault.

Now here lies the next question. What model should/would SWA go with? I say if you are gonna go big than go really big for a trial basis, then if all works out, kick into high gear and run with it.

The AB321 is a nice a/c and it seats more passengers (181 to 160 in AA configuration 1) than the MAX -1 generation of 737.The galleys are not the flight attendants friend (no counter space to speak of...one of the reasons I didn't care for the a/c), but galleys are not a primary issue for Southwest.
To see various seat plans at AA, go to https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Airbus_A320.php. One of these is what I call LAA Standard, one is LUS standard, one is for New York-West Coast Transcon flights.

One would think that by this time AA would have decided whether they preferred American's standard version or US Airways standard and modified all the AB321's to a single "new age" seating arrangement. It would certainly make life easier for the flight attendants who have to deal with 2 airplanes with slightly different seating configurations that require extra work.

The AB321 is a nice a/c and it seats more passengers (181 to 160 in AA configuration 1) than the MAX -1 generation of 737.The galleys are not the flight attendants friend (no counter space to speak of...one of the reasons I didn't care for the a/c), but galleys are not a primary issue for Southwest.
To see various seat plans at AA, go to https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Airbus_A320.php. One of these is what I call LAA Standard, one is LUS standard, one is for New York-West Coast Transcon flights.

One would think that by this time AA would have decided whether they preferred American's standard version or US Airways standard and modified all the AB321's to a single "new age" seating arrangement. It would certainly make life easier for the flight attendants who have to deal with 2 airplanes with slightly different seating configurations that require extra work.
I do see us looking at another model, but I do not see us moving over to Airbus. Too costly. Better to stay with the Boeing models in my opinion. Getting parts from Airbus from overseas is a nightmare sometimes to say the least.
So what Boeing models?
Does anyone know if the Max 10 (I know same 737) is better equipped or at least differently equipped than the Max 8?
Maybe it's time for SWA to step it up to the 787??

I do see us looking at another model, but I do not see us moving over to Airbus. Too costly. Better to stay with the Boeing models in my opinion. Getting parts from Airbus from overseas is a nightmare sometimes to say the least.
So what Boeing models?
Does anyone know if the Max 10 (I know same 737) is better equipped or at least differently equipped than the Max 8?
Maybe it's time for SWA to step it up to the 787??
The best thing would be Boeing fix the Max, and the other Airlines including SWA to force Boeing to build a new model narrow body bassed on the 787 technology, but the size of a 757 with increased range, so no MCAS system needed, with a tall enough airframe.

I don't know (or care) who disagreed with you, B737, but the 787 is a great plane if the AA flight attendant opinions are any measure. The ones I know that have flown it seem to love it and say that the passengers also like it better than the 777. As far as size the 757 was my favorite airplane to work--enough passengers to keep me busy, but not so many that I was exhausted at the end of the flight.

Last edited:
I don't know (or care) who disagreed with you, B737, but the 787 is a great plane if the AA flight attendant opinions are any measure. The ones I know that have flown it seem to love it and say that the passengers also like it better than the 777. As far as size the 757 was my favorite airplane to work--enough passengers to keep me busy, but not so many that you were exhausted at the end of the flight.
No worries I know exactly who it is have them on ignore.

The best thing would be Boeing fix the Max, and the other Airlines including SWA to force Boeing to build a new model narrow body bassed on the 787 technology, but the size of a 757 with increased range, so no MCAS system needed, with a tall enough airframe.
I agree. but, was that not the Max 10 although in the 737 family?
Or maybe we need to rename it as Trump suggested? Just a thought at this point.

Back