Some very interesting history pictures

I can go back a lot further than these pictures. My first airplane flight was on Southern Airways from Birmingham, Al. to Memphis, Tn. It was on a DC-3, and the trip took 2.5 hours. Not because of the a/c used-- because we made scheduled landings at Tuscaloosa, Al., Meridian, Ms., and Tupelo, Ms. before landing in Memphis. IIRC, I was 9 years old; so, that would have been in the summer of 1954--may have been a year or three later. Interesting thing about those stops, there were passengers who either got on or got off at every stop--just like Greyhound. ;)

The plane was not pressurized; so, I couldn't hear for a week after I got to Memphis. They served a pack of chewing gum and a bottled Coke on the flight. Ostensibly, you chewed the gum to relieve the pressure on your ears. Didn't work.

My parents let me choose which airline I flew on the trip. Delta also served the BHM-MEM route. However, their flight was at night, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to see anything.:) It was on an Eastern Airlines flight (RIP) a couple of years later that I learned the joys of flying in a pressurized cabin.

Last edited:
Reactions: swamt