Southwest Airlines To Begin Mediation

The union said it was the first time in Southwest's 32-year history that talks with flight attendants had gone to federal mediation.

Is this the beginning of the end for Southwest? I've read many posts saying that while Southwest is heavily unionized, for some reason they don't have the labor problems of the other carriers.

Is it because of Herb's retirement? The poor economy? Complacency? Increasing union militancy?

It's one thing to read posts from people like Busdrver and then a Southwest employee setting him straight. But when the Southwest employees themselves are chanting "industry leading" and talking about how greedy management is, and whining about cleaning the aircraft during turns, heck, I would sell LUV if I owned any.

Why can't you people learn from the mistakes of AA and UA's "industry leading" contracts?

Why can't you people learn from the mistakes of AA and UA's "industry leading" contracts?

Somebody's got to be industry leading. Why not the most productive employees at the most succesful airline? Seems to underline the ideals of American Capitalism and Hard Work Ethic, to me.

But what do I know...

Is this the beginning of the end for Southwest? I've read many posts saying that while Southwest is heavily unionized, for some reason they don't have the labor problems of the other carriers.

My one word answer, "no".

SWA has been in mediation with three work groups in the last two years, Mechanics, Ramp/OPS/Provo, and now the flight attendants. Management is having to work harder to deal with a better informed Union Membership, who still love their Company and want to remain employed.

In the past, Herb was smart enough to stay away from the table and above the fray. Jim seems to want to put his personal stamp on his first round of contracts as CEO and he's getting caught by groups not falling for the same techniques he himself used in the last round of contracts he negotiated under Herb.

Mediation seems to be Jim's way to save face and get out of the mess he's found himself in, IMHO. I'm hoping it'll be quick, and that he's learning from the experience.

Welcome to the Executive Office, Jim, and Happy Bosses Day. <_<

P.S. Pick up a copy of today's USA Today and look in the Business Section. The flight attendants are wishing Mr. Parker well.

swflyer said:
My one word answer, "no".

SWA has been in mediation with three work groups in the last two years, Mechanics, Ramp/OPS/Provo, and now the flight attendants. Management is having to work harder to deal with a better informed Union Membership, who still love their Company and want to remain employed.

In the past, Herb was smart enough to stay away from the table and above the fray. Jim seems to want to put his personal stamp on his first round of contracts as CEO and he's getting caught by groups not falling for the same techniques he himself used in the last round of contracts he negotiated under Herb.

Mediation seems to be Jim's way to save face and get out of the mess he's found himself in, IMHO. I'm hoping it'll be quick, and that he's learning from the experience.

Welcome to the Executive Office, Jim, and Happy Bosses Day. <_<

P.S. Pick up a copy of today's USA Today and look in the Business Section. The flight attendants are wishing Mr. Parker well.
SWflyer - I thought I read somewhere that prior to his new position, he worked on the contract negotiations - is that correct? Maybe he should delegate this responsiblity to an underling so as not to appear so "cold hearted" by some. Good luck and keep up the good work.

swflyer said:
what a ridiculous waste of union dues money - and a great way to show some whinning, too. im sure that will get the desired effect. just like picketing tomorrow at NFL games across the country - im sure rowdy football fans will be interested in the whinning too. :up:

"labor union" ... is that an oxymoron?

wnfan37 said:
what a ridiculous waste of union dues money - and a great way to show some whinning, too. im sure that will get the desired effect. just like picketing tomorrow at NFL games across the country - im sure rowdy football fans will be interested in the whinning too. :up:

"labor union" ... is that an oxymoron?
wnfan...with all due respect - I did not see the ad in the USA today. However, I would rather have the union spend money to "whine" in a major newspaper than spend the money on a CHAOS(tm) campaign. The way they chose is a way to communicate their issue to the public without putting their customers in a bind by no-showing for a flight.

wnfan37,

Don't know where you're getting information, but SWA flight attendants are not 'picketing' NFL games. <_<

KC,

If you'd like to see the ad, PM me a fax and I'll send it to you by tomorrow. There was a link for it, but it's expired.

swflyer said:
Don't know where you're getting information, but SWA flight attendants are not 'picketing' NFL games. <_<
The correct term is 'leafleting' TWU 556 members will be distrubting leaflets to NFL fans as they enter venues this Sunday, October 19th, in Houston and Monday, October 20th, in Oakland. These events continue on Sunday, October 26th, in Baltimore, Chicago, Tampa for Orlando, and Phoenix.

Frankly, I was a little disppointed to see this subject pop up again in a new thread. I think we all know where everybody stands...seems we discussed this from every conceivable angle...ad nauseam. Of course this is an SWA bulletin board and the F/A contract is the subject du jour. Maybe there will be a new city announced soon and we will all have something new to talk about.

Elivs Lives said:
Somebody's got to be industry leading. Why not the most productive employees at the most succesful airline? Seems to underline the ideals of American Capitalism and Hard Work Ethic, to me.
BINGO!!!!

wnfan,

Your alias is "wnfan37" with that name you should be supporting the SWA f/a's!

SWAFA30 said:
I think we all know where everybody stands...seems we discussed this from every conceivable angle...ad nauseam. Of course this is an SWA bulletin board and the F/A contract is the subject du jour. Maybe there will be a new city announced soon and we will all have something new to talk about.
ok... here comes a seemingly rare agreement... nicely said SWAFA. a new city would certainly be less polarizing debate. i think it's pretty clear where each contributor to this post stands on labor.

However before I move on, here's the nicely worded language from the whinning, i mean, leafleting straight from the TWU site:

"Hey football fans please join us!
We need your support in helping us
achieve the Contract that WE DESERVE."

I just love the all caps in WE DESERVE. ISN'T IS SHOUTING WHEN YOU USE ALL CAPS? I'm just about sick of talk of "deserve, deserve." But as SWAFA said it, this has been beaten to death on this board.

And on a side note, why is CHAOS always trademarked? who on earth is pocketing from that nonsense?

wrx said:
wnfan,

Your alias is "wnfan37" with that name you should be supporting the SWA f/a's!
don't get me wrong... it took me 2 years to get a position at SWA. I have lots of F/A friends at SWA, i **love** this company, but i despise the tactics of the TWU and for that matter, i will not support a labor union. they are thorns in the side of companies and i'd rather not see a labor union drive another company into the ground (ie. Eastern).

Recall John Ward? Nice quote here, by the way:

"We always complain....

In unity,

Rock Salomon
American Airlines Flight Attendant BOS
Association of Professional Flight Attendants Member"

BINGO.

wnfan37 said:
don't get me wrong... it took me 2 years to get a position at SWA. i will not support a labor union.
Then why dont you work for Delta? Non-union, right up your alley. I find it hard to believe your work for SWA and being anti-union. SWA is the biggest unionized airline in the country.

Union member or not, whether we agree or disagree with TWU and the Local 556 Negotiating Team's game plan...that game plan is already in play and there is nothing any of us can do but watch it play out. The bottom line is that SWA has navigated the treacherous waters of contentious labor negotiations many times in the past. At the time it always seems like the sky is indeed falling but sooner or later a contract is hammered out and the earth continues to rotate and suddenly nobody can remember what they were so worked up about.

With allowances for the fact that this is indeed a Southwest Bulletin Board and with a tip of the hat to freedom of speech. How about a show of hands for anyone who actually intends to have their opinion on this subject changed as a result of anything that is posted on this b oard...anyone?... .anyone?...anyone?....noone?...
That's what I figured ...let's move on.

Latest posts