Southwest wins bid, 27 more flights DCA

Glenn Quagmire said:
"Virgin, which counts Richard Branson's Virgin Group as a minority investor"
Virgin America's nationality has been vigorously challenged by US carriers esp. AA and UA without success but it is a US carrier and is reportedly working on a US IPO - which likely explains why they are slowing their aggressive expansion and instead focusing on significant RASM growth.
Branson holds a minority stake in Virgin America and also owns part of Virgin Atlantic, with whom DL has both a joint venture and in which DL owns 49%. DL also has a joint venture with Virgin Australia.

The foreign carrier that is apparently shut out of the process is Westjet which gained LGA slots in the DL-US slot as part of an expanded accord between DL and Westjet but that type of arrangement was apparently not permitted at DCA or Westjet chose not to bid or was outbid.

I love how you tried to paint a loose association between Virgin America and DL...

They're slowing their expansion because after six years of losses, investors are out of patience.

and when their investors are tired, they'll pull the plug.

And the association is actually fairly definite. Mr. Branson has entrusted his firstborn into DL's hands while trying to get his youngest out of diapers.

WorldTraveler said:
And the association is actually fairly definite. Mr. Branson has entrusted his firstborn into DL's hands while trying to get his youngest out of diapers.

Actually, isn't Mr. Branson's first born now entrusted in the loving hands of yet another foster parent? :lol:

Foster parent is probably an accurate definition...

This isn't Facebook. The codeshare partner of your codeshare partner is not your friend.

When I've talked with those in upper DL management (and still on DL payroll), there's little love lost when it comes to VX.

that is accurate... but it also says that DL could have easily focused its west coast competitive efforts against VX and wipe them out if that is what they wanted to do... but it is precisely because the "2nd cousin to my father relationship" that DL and VX manage to do their own thing - which in VX' case involves focusing its competitive efforts in key AA and UA markets, not those of DL. IF it changes, let me know if I happen to miss it.

WT, or anyone else that knows, does anyone know if any other carriers have put in for the DCA and LGS slots?  The reason I ask is I did not know for fact that West Jet put in for some slots until WJ's spoke person came out and said something.  Nobody else has ever stated that they put a bid in.  Therefore I am asking if anyone knows of other bidders that may have requested slots, and did not win any, are there other losers out there?

I believe NK said they unsuccessfully bid.

The DOJ made the comment early on that the slots were for US carriers which is why the idea that they would gain anything was contrary to the original ruling.

remember that WestJet signed a deal with DL that gave them half of the slots DL had to divest at LGA (or actually they were US' slots which DL could not have) and the net effect was that the amount of competition that could have come from the slot divestitures was diminished while DL gained a strategic partner at LGA where WestJet does funnel passengers onto DL's network. The DOJ was not going to let that happen again at DCA.

The carrier's new routes from DCA will be:
  • Chicago Midway: Six daily round-trip flights begin Aug. 10; grows to nine daily flights on Sept. 30
  • Nashville: Three daily round-trip flights begin Aug. 10
  • New Orleans: Two daily round-trip flights begin Aug. 10
  • Tampa: Two daily round-trip flights begin Sept. 30
  • Akron-Canton: One daily round-trip flight begins Nov. 2
  • Dallas Love Field: One daily round-trip flight begins Nov. 2
  • Indianapolis: One daily round-trip flight begins Nov. 2
The carrier also plans to add flights on existing routes between DCA and Houston Hobby and St. Louis.

The way it looks now, they'll have a decent schedule into everyplace within the perimeter except for DEN.

ATL = 6
MDW = 6
MKE = 4
BNA = 3
STL = 2+
HOU = 2+
MSY = 2
TPA = 2

AUS = 1
RSW = 1
CAK = 1
DAL = 1
IND = 1

I'll be surprised if they don't drop a frequency or even a market in favor of increasing DAL frequencies.

And most all are "new markets"  and some are just added flights.   We are hearing of more announcements coming soon, at least between now and June or July at the latest.  If we actually had more aircraft to acquire the expanded and added flights would be greater, just can't get the aircraft quick enough, at least not from Boeing, maybe the used aircraft market will pick up a lot more over the next 3-5 years.  Growth and jobs will be added in coming months at SWA...

Latest posts

Back