Sully takes issue with new book

Question on APU refers to dual engine failure. on the 777 dual engine failure causes the APU to auto start to pick up for the Battery . Was wondering if the 320 had this feature.On a Boeing the engine would continue to run and not go to idle. I was wondering if this was airbus system thing .I have flown both the cfm and the iae engines and do not remember them rolling back to idle if foded. Also if you are knowlgable about the Hudson landing if one of the engines rolled back to idle or did both seize. thanks for your good info.

You are correct the 777 has this feature the A-320 does not

I have flown both the cfm and the iae engines and do not remember them rolling back to idle if foded. Also if you are knowlgable about the Hudson landing if one of the engines rolled back to idle or did both seize.

It is important to remember that no two FOD events are the same and that there is no guarantee on any engine parameters when it comes to FOD.

What I have read so far indicates that the left engine continued to run at or near idle and the engine manufacturer indicates that had the FADEC successfully commanded higher thrust the engine would have seized or otherwise started to fail catastrophically. I believe that the right engine decayed below idle and flamed out.

Since I have flown the 727, 737-200/300/400, 757, 767, Fk100 and currently the A320 series, I feel qualified to post my opinion.
That was WRONG

Great stuff other wise
I still thing Boeing stays with some older technology to kept WN type rating the same across the board on there smaller A/C. But what do I know I flew the Cessna 172 in the seventies
Wasn’t even close

That was WRONG

Great stuff other wise
I still thing Boeing stays with some older technology to kept WN type rating the same across the board on there smaller A/C. But what do I know I flew the Cessna 172 in the seventies
Wasn’t even close
the -200? :D

During one of the tapes Ive seen Sully is heard to say "starting
APU". My understanding is that the APU in the Airbus automatically
goes on upon both engines failing. Were both engines out at
this time? Or did it come on automatically? Without
the APU they would have been in real bad shape ..right?

During one of the tapes Ive seen Sully is heard to say "starting
APU". My understanding is that the APU in the Airbus automatically
goes on upon both engines failing. Were both engines out at
this time? Or did it come on automatically? Without
the APU they would have been in real bad shape ..right?

The Number 1 (left) engine was struggling on and off idle...but running. The number 2 (right) was flamed out ( I believe). The APU is not an automatic device. The Ram Air Turbine (RAT) IS an automatic device that deploys a propeller into the slipstream and turns to generate some electricity and hydraulic pressure IF AND ONLY IF there is a loss of ALL AC electrical power. Since the left engine was running, there was AC power on the ship. THAT prevented the RAT from auto-deploying, and precisely why Sully wanted to start the APU. The APU will provide AC and DC power to ship systems (if commanded to ) regardless of an engine running or not.

That will be $500.00 for your A320 lesson today.