Swa To Get Mediation In F/a Negotiations

Of course you can live in Manhattan for $9,000 a month. A decent apartment goes for about $3,000 a month. Heck, go for the $5,000 a month spacious apartment, and you've still got $4,000 a month to pay taxes, groceries, utilities, etc.

If you're a spendaholic and go to snooty restaurants every day and buy a new wardrobe every month or you're stupid and you drive a car, you'll need to downsize to a $2,000 a month apartment. It would be on the small side, but livable if you learn how to store things vertically.

I don't live in Manhattan (never did), but I did live in NYC for seven long, tortuous years, so I do know what I'm talking about when I say that you most certainly can live in Manhattan on $9,000 a month.

JS said:
Of course you can live in Manhattan for $9,000 a month. A decent apartment goes for about $3,000 a month. Heck, go for the $5,000 a month spacious apartment, and you've still got $4,000 a month to pay taxes, groceries, utilities, etc.

If you're a spendaholic and go to snooty restaurants every day and buy a new wardrobe every month or you're stupid and you drive a car, you'll need to downsize to a $2,000 a month apartment. It would be on the small side, but livable if you learn how to store things vertically.

I don't live in Manhattan (never did), but I did live in NYC for seven long, tortuous years, so I do know what I'm talking about when I say that you most certainly can live in Manhattan on $9,000 a month.
"Heck, go for the $5,000 a month spacious apartment, and you've still got $4,000 a month to pay taxes, groceries, utilities, etc."

So if you make 9000 a month, and RENT your appartment, what tax bracket would you be in?

JS said:

Times have changed pal. I live in NYC (crashpad) now and can't afford to live in Manhattan without 15 roommates. Don't forget that expensive parking pass you have to pay for. That's not included in your rent. You guys are dreaming big time. Wake up and snap out of it, you can't live in Manhattan for $9,000 per month. Take that $9,000 and stay in Kansas. I know you can live in Kansas for $9,000 per month.

KCFlyer said:
allow me to clear up a few things - Here is how you live on $9,000 a month - you forgoe the 6 bedroom 5 bath house on the golf course and opt for the 4 bedroom 3 bath house a few blocks away. You opt for the Lexus instead of the Mercedes. You only hire one housekeeper as opposed to two. I would imagine the I could live rather nicely on $9,000 a month - even in Manhattan.

Please point to where this magic $9,000 a year statement came from as being "fair" pay for a flight attendant? I certainly didn't make it. You know, this topic is about Southwest airlines attendants who don't have their employees based in NYC. A Southwest flight attendant posted that a new hire pretty much makes $16K a year (before taxes). The only thing I take to task is this flippant use of the term "poverty level". It doesn't mean that this is a "fair wage", just that your starting wage is far more than "poverty level", whether you want to admit it or not. And...FWIW, those poverty numbers are for the 48 contiguous states - no "allowances" for those living in NYC or San Francisco. I guess our poverty folks are living large here in America's heartland, but believe it or not, there really ARE people who qualify as "poverty level" in those two cities as well. But I'll tell you what...e-mail me off line and we can arrange for you to stop off in KC on a day off. I'll meet you at the airport and then I'll take you where you can meet some folks who really are living on less than $9,000 a year. You can compare lifestyle notes. You can compare "apartments". You can compare clothing. You can compare meals. And then you can decide if your life is anywhere close to what there life is. Fly is welcome to join you. I have an idea that you'll leave feeling like you live like Donald Trump after meeting some of these folks.

Second - that dang old seniority system is precisely the reason that I do not work in a unionized organization. If I felt I was being screwed, I left for a better opportunity. No starting over at the bottom. And the odd thing was, if 30 years in the workplace, I haven't had an employer who was ever really screwing me over, so I really had no need for any kind of "protection".

Finally...why don't you and fly state what an FA should be paid. I never have, and I never will. So why don't you post a "fair" pay scale since you are eager to see what everyone else considers fair. From all I have read, you and fly would put the airline out of business in a hurry since you have both posted that it's just too tough to live on $108,000 per year ($9,000 a month). I will go so far as to admit that THAT may be a little too steep for starting pay.
Maybe you should have thought about that before you brought up the $9,000 in NYC!! Have fun in Kansas and tell Dorothy I said hi. :D

wrx said:
Maybe you should have thought about that before you brought up the $9,000 in NYC!! Have fun in Kansas and tell Dorothy I said hi. :D
Why don't you read a little closer. I brought up $9,000 a month (but NOT anything about NYC) when Cart Pusher posted this:

You know, as well as everyone else here, that the governments head is up their a** in many respects, and apparently when they sat down to define what a poverty level wage is it was still there. NOBODY could get along on their own in any city or town on $9000 per month. (emphasis mine)

And I, much to my regret, pointed out this slip up with a little winky face, which for most folks represents a joke. But all of the sudden, YOU launch on some diatribe about how $9,000 a month isn't enough to live on in Manhattan.

I never posted anything about $9,000 a month OR Manhattan. Had I known that you would take this horse, beat it, kill it, and then beat it yet again, I never would have responded to you in the first place. I'll certainly have fun in Kansas. For a fraction of that money, I'm living like a king in a home that you couldn't TOUCH for $9,000 a month in NYC. And guess what, we even have major sports teams, museums and gol darn it, even an OPERA here. We may be rubes, but our housing dollar sure stretches a lot farther than yours. Wave when you fly over...you know how us bumpkins look up at the sky whenever a jet passes over, staring in awe at the silver birds staffed by the only folks on earth who know squat about the airline industry. Buh-buy now... and you didn't think I knew anything about the airlines.

wrx said:
You don't and I'm glad you admitted to it.

Take care.
Apparently neither do you as you have conveniently ignored my rebuttal on your issues about the industry, choosing instead to focus on the real estate market in New York.

14 years in the airline industry = TONS OF KNOWLEDGE!

Let me know when you find the ruby slippers!! ;)

wrx said:
14 years in the airline industry = TONS OF KNOWLEDGE!

Let me know when you find the ruby slippers!! ;)
But can't focus on any of them...choosing instead to focus on the real estate market in NYC. Care to explain how the concept of "industry leading contracts" works to your advantage when your company in bleeding cash? Let's see how close I can come to your 14 year level of knowledge:
  • company bleeding red ink should grant "industry leading contract" because the CEO's are paid too much
  • When company knocks at Bankruptcy courts door and asks for concessions, blame the union for selling you out.
Pretty close, aren't I?

But can't focus on any of them...choosing instead to focus on the real estate market in NYC. Care to explain how the concept of "industry leading contracts" works to your advantage when your company in bleeding cash? Let's see how close I can come to your 14 year level of knowledge:

company bleeding red ink should grant "industry leading contract" because the CEO's are paid too much
When company knocks at Bankruptcy courts door and asks for concessions, blame the union for selling you out.

Pretty close, aren't I?

:lol: :jerry:

KCFlyer,

I can't believe all the grief you are taking on this board. I don't think some of these peolpe will ever see what you are trying to say. I know I don't have to say this but keep the posts coming. You have a good knowledge of the industy.

On a personal note, I will be in KC sometime between Oct. 15 and 23. I wiould like to see if we can get together and share our thoughts on LUV and the industry.

wrx said:
JS said:

Times have changed pal. I live in NYC (crashpad) now and can't afford to live in Manhattan without 15 roommates. Don't forget that expensive parking pass you have to pay for. That's not included in your rent. You guys are dreaming big time. Wake up and snap out of it, you can't live in Manhattan for $9,000 per month. Take that $9,000 and stay in Kansas. I know you can live in Kansas for $9,000 per month.
Why do you keep bringing up this issue of parking and living in Manhattan? That doesn't make any sense. Only morons and the profligate wealthy drive in Manhattan.

In case you missed it, I bolded a portion of my post in the above quote.

Without a car, and with normal eating and clothing habits, you do not need any roommates to live in Manhattan if you make $108,000 a year.

KC,

Let me get this into your head. The AA f/a's vote NO on concessions and it was ratified. The next day our union the APFA decided to extend the voting an extra day to get people to change their minds. This is called SELLING OUT! Once a vote is ratified you can't open it up again to extend the vote. The APFA violated our constitution and bylaws. See if you worked in this industry, then you would understand it.

Yes, I believe the SWA f/a's should get an industry leading contract. They deserve it! SWA is making money and they should give the employees industry leading contracts when it's time for them to negotiate. If it wasn't for the employees of SWA, they wouldn't be making money.

I have figured your deal out. No, you don't work in the airline industry. Yes, you're an outsider looking in. You have invested some money into SWA and don't want you stock to take a dive if they get an industry leading contract. This is called being selfish! If it wasn't for the SWA employees, your stocks wouldn't be worth anything!

Have you found your Ruby Red Slippers? While you're in Kansas say hi to Toto for me.
MiscDogrun.gif