Ta Dah! New Paint Job

i think it is even cooler with the small flag on the winglet compared to the color schem that has the dark fuselage and gray bottom

Is the blue a bit lighter than the old blue? As I was walking through the terminal I saw the tail and knew which plane it was. The blue doesn't seem to be as dark, unless it was because of the two-tone of the tail. Anyone?

Twicebaked said:
It will take some time to get all the planes done, so it doesn't look mismatched like SW old and new do.
[post="291219"][/post]​

If it takes as long as it took HP to repaint from their old paint scheme to the new one, it could be 5-10 yrs before its all done. I think the new scheme is boring too.

MiAAmi said:
If it takes as long as it took HP to repaint from their old paint scheme to the new one, it could be 5-10 yrs before its all done. I think the new scheme is boring too.
[post="291253"][/post]​

They are "claiming" 18 months to paint 200 planes. That is according to a quote by some Travis Christ?. I think that is who they qouted in the Washington Post.

It looks like the wavy light lines continue from the aft fuselage up the tail but the lines don't appear to connect in a continuous fashion. Also, the stark contrast between the fuselage and the tail is very harsh when compared to the overall softness of the rest of the aircraft. It sort of reminds me of the same contrast (that I didn't like) on the MetroJet aircraft (blue/red).

Overall I'm giving it a 4.1 and I agree with most others:

a little uninspired
a little plain
I'll get used to it
could have been worse

jm

I agree with Justme. (That doesn't sound right) The waves, although changing colors on the tail, should be continious. I think that would make it "fit" alittle bit more. I does look sort of mismatched. Hey, this is something I am sure can be "looked" at before more are painted.

Twicebaked said:
I saw the plane this morning and it does look much better. I looks good with the "old" planes as well. It will take some time to get all the planes done, so it doesn't look mismatched like SW old and new do.
[post="291219"][/post]​

I doubt USAirways is going to paint all their planes at once so how is the situation going to be different than with SWA as you infer? If you think you're not going to see a buncha mismatched USAir airplanes just as SWA has for a while, you're crazy. It takes a long time to get a fleet all re-painted. They just don't go out and paint 'em all all at once -- it's usually done when the planes NEED re-painting....sometimes years in between paint jobs. With the two fleets, you'll see even more of mis-match. SWA just has old and new, USAirways will have old USAirways, old AWA, and new USAirways.

From Washington Post....

"The new look is part of a rebranding of Arlington-based US Airways as it heads toward its merger with America West, expected to be completed by the end of September, barring any objections from America West's shareholders and US Airways' creditors. America West is spending more than $18 million to paint the 200 planes in the combined airlines' fleet. It will take 18 months to complete the redesign, which is the first for US Airways since 1997 when it changed its name from USAir."

It may take longer, but I am just posting what they are saying.

Cfm56 said:
I doubt USAirways is going to paint all their planes at once so how is the situation going to be different than with SWA as you infer?
[post="291262"][/post]​

The point of the post you are refering too is that the US planes match in colors and SW do not....at all.

I suppose the Express fleet will also be repainted. It will be interesting to see a repainted Dash-8.

The Smile is Back. If only on one airplane, a welcome reminder of happier days.

They should apply the PSA Retro livery to a B757 0r A321. It looks particularly good on a long body aircraft.

I just hope that whoever paints the fleet this time uses actual hard dimensions when painting the barcode (flag) on the vertical stab/ rudder. The last repaint resulted in a fleet of planes where no two were painted alike. A rudder change often as not resulted in a rudder repaint as the "flag" was often off by as much as eight inches inches. A real PITA. While on the subject of paint, do you suppose that the surface prep will actually hold onto the paint this time around?

Its ok.....The name does not stand out at all on the plane. It gets lost
with the white back ground. It stood out much better with the other paint job.

Ok maybe it is just me but the flag that is near the airplane number is backward. The proper display of the flag when printed on something etc is for the stars to be in the upper left not on the right...

Picture

Latest posts