Ted- The Speculation

Here is TED in Blue, Orange and White! I hope that TED is a success for United.

Attachments

• TED.jpg
    TED.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 181
TransWorldONE said:
cute....not.
At least United is thinking outside the box. Inovaation is hard for some of the dinosaaur airlines.
It was just a joke. Lighten up. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to be terminally negative but do they drug test management?

I can't get the parts or "working" tools to do the job I'm supposed to do here. United no longer cleans nor maintains their aircraft properly, they pay their employees at the bottom of the industry scale and now, by spending the money to repaint and reconfigure 45 A-320's they can somehow magically create a "low cost" carrier susidiary that will ultimately compete against it's own parent. I hope the cost of doing this goes against the marketing budget and not against the maintenance budget but somehow I doubt it.

We lose money on every seat but we'll make it up on volume.

Obviously I'm a bit prejudiced but even so, I must admit that I think UAL has finally gotten themselves thinking outside the proverbial box! Good time to do it. I like the name, even though at first I thought it silly.

I compare the name to good scotch. If you just swallow it down fast you miss the flavor of it. But swish it around your mouth a bit and it begins to grow on you. Similar comparison can be made with TED. At first it seems a bit silly. But, when you begin to unpeel the layers of marketing and thought that went into it it then makes a lot of sense. At least it isn't sickingly conservative. And kudo's to the design team on the livery. Very sharp. Fits in nice with the product line.

That's all I've got.

Cheers,
Z B)

ZMAN777 said:
At first it seems a bit silly. But, when you begin to unpeel the layers of marketing and thought that went into it it then makes a lot of sense

My God, this is hopeless

unpeel the layers of marketing and thought ?

Earth to Zman.....

TED ???
Like United huh !
Guess so United without U - N - I. It's sounds about right for the many laid off.

At least they have one thing on the site right "Meet TED" kind of like UAL management "Meathead".

kcabpilot said:
My God, this is hopeless

unpeel the layers of marketing and thought ?

Earth to Zman.....
kcabpilot,

Sorry to rain on your parade of doom and gloom for UAL and of course only time will tell if this is a good move or not, but this is pretty good work by the folks (at least some of them) in the puzzle palace.

Marketing....you know what that is right? Well if not let me explain. UAL blitzes the Denver market for a period of weeks with a very clever campaign garnering lots of interest in somebody, something called.... TED. No one knows what it is but suddenly their morning latte's are suddenly free, flowers show up unexpectedly, cheesecake desserts are gratus...all courtesy of this TED thing? Guess what happens. Suddenly the press is full of these stories telling of these events and many more like them. All favorable.

Then it's slowly, deliberately, leaked out that you know who...UAL is behind it all! Wow, what great press, favorable, and to a certain extent....FREE! Now, Mr. Doom and Gloom, how would you get the same results or bang for the buck?

Your naivete in such matters overwhelms me! But, I'm sure you've got the secret handshake that allows you, and you only, the complete view of the big picture.

I think you had it wrong in your last signoff. How about this....EARTH TO KCABPILOT! YGBSM!

Cheers,
Z B)

Zman

Free latte's and flowers?

Try setting up three Kollsman air data testers and not finding one that works so you can get the C check done on one of these Airbuses that good 'ol ted is gonna use. Try walking around the maintenance hangar for half an hour looking for a friggin' extension chord.

All this is going to be solved with free latte's and flowers eh?

Man, you are right - I am soooo naive

Yeah, like you really do anything....jeez, every pilot knows all you do is press a couple of buttons and "PRESTO!!!!" the computers do all the rest...sort of like their flying.... :D

Obviously I'm a bit prejudiced but even so, I must admit that I think UAL has finally gotten themselves thinking outside the proverbial box! Good time to do it. I like the name, even though at first I thought it silly.

I hope the box is not part of a five lot. :unsure:

I have not been positive on the Lcc but I hope it works out.

Just came back from a cruise in the Caribbean.
Maybe the airlines should look at how they operate. Service was great. The biggest reason is because the employees pay comes from gratuities of the passengers.

Airline employees have a hard time realizing that their tips are built into their paycheck, so they do not feel compelled to be extra nice to customers.

Cruise days are hard times for non rev flying, and when I asked one CSR if it would be difficult to get some ID 95's for another carrier, she said yes.
Watching her working with the rest of the public explains why some passengers choose other airlines to travel on. She never smiled or seemed happy checking people in. I wonder what her personallity would have been like if tips were involved?

After the first trip left full without us, I asked another agent working the gate if there was a slow time to get ID 95's at the ticket counter. She was very nice and said to meet her at the counter and she would make them out for us.
Standing in line again I watched her working with the public, and I could see why customers would come back to us. She deffinately enjoyed her job and working with people. She got it!
It was like looking at two different universes watching both CSR's.working there.
Maybe this is a box they should look into.

I have enjoyed reading this thread. TED

Something to ponder when things seems to be getting the best of us.

When things in your life seem almost to much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar........and the beer.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.
The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty Space between the sand. The students laughed. "Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favorite passions--things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else--the small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.

The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house, and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented. The rofessor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers." :)
B)

Just who the he11 do you thik you are refering to UAL's professional F/A's as "galley hags"?
UAL (along with pretty much everybody else) is ALREADY a Low fair carrier.
The routes UAL chose, where chosen for a REASON, they all had very LITTLE "premium" (First class) passengers.
UAL added 18 seats per jet. Do the math, that alone lowers CASM by approx 15% for those seats.
UAL posted an operating profit while in BK with the new pay rates and work rules. UAL even took back (YOY) pacific market share from NWA (despite being in BK).
It takes 2 FRNT pilots to fly one 132 seat A319 (or 114 seat A318)
It takes two UAL pilots to fly one 156 A320 (that actually has MORE legroom...)
UAL's FF program is far superior
The additional revenue base more than outweighs the higher UAL wages

Ok, so here is a reply from a close discussion.
so first of all if UA and every other carrier were low far carriers there would not be the high walk up fares that are still out there. The would not be all these first class seat flying around.
UA chose the routes because they are going head to head with Frontier, that was the only reason, they are trying to defend their home turf just as DL is doing with Airtran and what AA did with the others they ran out.
An operating profit is not a real true profit like the other airlines have posted. Go back and figure in dept payments, interest payments and all the other payments that your DIP group don't count but every other accounting firm and group counts. Who care about an operating profit when they are not large enough to continue to pay the bills.
It is evident how many pilots it takes to fly a plane but what was said was a lcc run by a major has never worked nor will it ever work. the high cost structure to support the lcc is flawed math. 40 planes can not save a 500-600 plane airline.
UA FF program superior to who's? all the lcc, you are correct but CO, and AA are far superior to UA. Seems advantage is the largest for a reason, and CO seems to always out rank UA in the surveys of the ff participants.
what additional revenue base? being able to sell more seats for a loss on creates more cash flow, more in, but even more out. look at us, look at failed tw, look at the fair sales going on now. they are only there to stimulate traffic and get some extra cash in and nothing more.

Back