Too Bad So sad

jenny@nw

Veteran
Feb 20, 2006
pacific nw
I just want to say a friend of mine wrote to me stating he got TWO BEAUTIFUL job offers at the same time. Can't disclose where but it's two big companies.

All I can say is too bad so sad NORTHWEST. You guys lose out by hiring people who lack the years and experience.

Well at least he won't have to deal with scam artist LIBERTY MUTUAL when he gets injured and stuff. :down:

I missed something. What is the deal with Liberty Mutual?

Consider yourself lucky never to have dealt with them....

What's the deal? Let's see, where to start.....

In my experience-both personally and as a union rep helping others with their claims-I've seen examples of all of the following:

Denied claims (despite plenty of medical "evidence" to support the claim), abusing claimants, trying to override doctor's concerns/paths of rehabilitation, trying to do Q and A's in employee's homes (then becoming irate when the employee balks), trying to convince claimants that driving to/from work under the influence of narcotic pain meds. is "totally cool," staking out employees homes (to the point of stalking).

...I'm sure I forgot some along the way...

Here's a "tea in the ocean" example:

When I tore a tendon in my shoulder, they decided I should come to work anyway, despite my doctor's protest. The conversation went a little something like this:

LM: Where are you hurt again?

Kev: My left shoulder.

LM: That doesn't sound too bad.

Kev: ...Except that I can't move it.

LM: I don't think you're hurt.

Kev: Really? I have a whole sheaf of paperwork/MRI's et cetera that say otherwise.

LM: No, I think you should continue to report to work for regular duty.

Kev: Okay, "regular duty" requires using my arms; how am I supposed to do that.

LM: Just use your good arm.

Kev: And when that one is shot from overuse, then what?

LM: That won't happen.

It'd be funny if it wasn't true....

Kev,
I definitely believe you, and know what your talking about.

Having said that, (in the future, should that happen), call up the local afl-cio office, in your area. Ask them for the name of the BEST union work Comp lawyer.
(Once your lawyer shows the Insurance company, your signature stating that "they" represent you/your Interests, the Ins. Company can only contact you via US Mail, with a copy going to the lawyer) !!!

Buy a hand held tape recorder(radio shack), and (by law) inform the W/C Insurance company "representative" that you ARE going to RECORD the conversations.

Unless they are friggin' STUPID, they WILL "fold like a CHEAP suit"

Where "they" can trick a person, is, if the person returns to work, and sustains FURTHER injury, they will "try" to make a case against the person, for NOT following their doctors advise.

NH/BB's

Kev,

Having said that, (in the future, should that happen), call up the local afl-cio office, in your area. Ask them for the name of the BEST union work Comp lawyer.
(Once your lawyer shows the Insurance company, your signature stating that "they" represent you/your Interests, the Ins. Company can only contact you via US Mail, with a copy going to the lawyer) !!!

Buy a hand held tape recorder(radio shack), and (by law) inform the W/C Insurance company "representative" that you ARE going to RECORD the conversations.

Maybe I'm just overly naieve, but that sounds like a lawer talkin'. No wonder we're the most litigacious nation in the world!
(As an aside, I do recall taking a pair of dykes to cut the cast off my knee so I could climb up to safety wire the lower pressure plate of an h-53....caught all kinds of holy hell for it, but we made the launch!) I guess we just aint as tough as we used to be.....sigh

Wait until you get injured and you will see what we are talking about. You have to use "their" Doctor and all that nonsense.

Getting your pelvis smashed on the job is not fun. Getting your pelivs smashed can KILL YOU.
You go to your own doctor (after your emergency room surgery) you will get a note saying that you cannot work for x amount of time and some serious rehab.

LM will not support the claim because they believe it is made up despite the medical records. It is not official until you see a Northwest appointed doctor. You go see a Northwest appointed doctor and they will tell you "it's not that bad" and "over reacting".

Remember, if you have a can come hurtling at you do block it with your leg. A femur bone broken is not critical as a pelvic injury.

I swear they must have some back door dealings with LM and these "Northwest" doctors. It's crazy! :wacko:

Kev,

Where "they" can trick a person, is, if the person returns to work, and sustains FURTHER injury, they will "try" to make a case against the person, for NOT following their doctors advise.

NH/BB's

That's good advice. My friend had to hire a lawyer because it got too rediculous.

My staunch refusal to see/be treated by the "company doctor" gave them fits.

In the end it all turned out okay....

My good friend was in litigation for over a year!!!!!!!!! And there were witnesses on this wierd accident.

He was pushed down and a whole mob just trampled him.

( the fun being a gate agent..........)

next contract negotiations they should ask for combat pay.

My staunch refusal to see/be treated by the "company doctor" gave them fits.

In the end it all turned out okay....

==========================================================

Kev,

My experience has been to report the Injury on duty Immediately.

Get a copy of "the report" (that you've filled out, and signed) BEFORE you head out to see the company "shill", AND DEMAND that You be given transportation to the facility. (DON'T drive yourself, because of the Pain killers, you may be given.

As part of our AA responsibility/procedure, we had to see the "quack' first.

Most normal (northern ) states...work comp laws say an injured worker does not have to comply with the company quack, and can follow the orders of the injured persons OWN doctor.

The very second that LM starts harrasing you, get a work comp lawyer !!!

Keep IMPECIBLE records/COPIES of EVERYTHING that you may have signed, or otherwise !!

Once LM realizes that you're represented, and documenting EVERYTHING, they usually will send you(If your out 2 weeks or more) for a IME(Independent medical Exam)(Independent my A$$)

The IME will ALWAYS say that at the very least, that you can "badge in", and SIT doing nothing, for 8 hours. However, if YOUR doc says NO work, NW HAS to pay you,while you recuperate AT HOME.

If your prescribed a narcotic pain killer(like say Vicodin), you CANNOT DRIVE AN AUTOMOBILE !!!

NH/BB's

==========================================================

Kev,

My experience has been to report the Injury on duty Immediately.

Get a copy of "the report" (that you've filled out, and signed) BEFORE you head out to see the company "shill", AND DEMAND that You be given transportation to the facility. (DON'T drive yourself, because of the Pain killers, you may be given.

As part of our AA responsibility/procedure, we had to see the "quack' first.

Most normal (northern ) states...work comp laws say an injured worker does not have to comply with the company quack, and can follow the orders of the injured persons OWN doctor.

The very second that LM starts harrasing you, get a work comp lawyer !!!

Keep IMPECIBLE records/COPIES of EVERYTHING that you may have signed, or otherwise !!
Once LM realizes that you're represented, and documenting EVERYTHING, they usually will send you(If your out 2 weeks or more) for a IME(Independent medical Exam)(Independent my A$$)

The IME will ALWAYS say that at the very least, that you can "badge in", and SIT doing nothing, for 8 hours. However, if YOUR doc says NO work, NW HAS to pay you,while you recuperate AT HOME.

If your prescribed a narcotic pain killer(like say Vicodin), you CANNOT DRIVE AN AUTOMOBILE !!!

NH/BB's

The scenario you've laid out is pretty much how it went down in my case. I only had to "threaten" to get a lawyer involved for most of their nonsense to stop.

My state also had the "you-can-go-to-your-own-doctor" law, which is why I fought so hard to stay away from the Pet Clinic.

On a side note, when people would be on light duty the Crew Chief (that would be me....) would assign two duties: 1) Make sure the coffee pot is always full, and 2)if it was football season, we needed updates on scores (If TPA was playing, I "required" real time updates. :lol: ).

The forcing of someone to continue to drive to work even while on prescription meds. was a case that I helped with as a union rep; I couldn't believe what I was hearing-I'm pretty sure they had to peel me off the ceiling....Luckily common sense won out, and the person was able to stay home.

The scenario you've laid out is pretty much how it went down in my case. I only had to "threaten" to get a lawyer involved for most of their nonsense to stop.

My state also had the "you-can-go-to-your-own-doctor" law, which is why I fought so hard to stay away from the Pet Clinic.

On a side note, when people would be on light duty the Crew Chief (that would be me....) would assign two duties: 1) Make sure the coffee pot is always full, and 2)if it was football season, we needed updates on scores (If TPA was playing, I "required" real time updates. :lol: ).

The forcing of someone to continue to drive to work even while on prescription meds. was a case that I helped with as a union rep; I couldn't believe what I was hearing-I'm pretty sure they had to peel me off the ceiling....Luckily common sense won out, and the person was able to stay home.

Lucky.... My state don't HAVE that luxury...

I know one person that hurt his back pretty bad (in another accident). Was "bullied" into reporting to work by the manager in 3 days (or be terminated) -essentialy lied to and that day he reported to work this person got two herniated disks. Will not go get surgery and walks like a question mark now.

Union rep was no help.

This didn't damage his back, it messed up his life at home and his ability to live a normal life. It really makes me mad thinking about this.

Lucky.... My state don't HAVE that luxury...

I know one person that hurt his back pretty bad (in another accident). Was "bullied" into reporting to work by the manager in 3 days (or be terminated) -essentialy lied to and that day he reported to work this person got two herniated disks. Will not go get surgery and walks like a question mark now.

Union rep was no help.

This didn't damage his back, it messed up his life at home and his ability to live a normal life. It really makes me mad thinking about this.
Its real simple....call a G.D. LAWYER!

Its real simple....call a G.D. LAWYER!

This person refuses to go and do those sorts of things. The person told me that they were afraid of losing their job because NW lawyer will argue that the person cannot physicaly do the job hence should be releived although this is an on the job injury. So this person works in constant pain........ home is wrecked.... takes displaced anger out on everyone. It is quite sad. :(

I also know of another person who got physicaly attacked by a passenger, wakes up in the hospital days later and was also not compensated.

Remember the gal that was killed in NC?

now why do we work for this company? :unsure: Do we love the abuse?

My big daddy is amazed at the other company he's at. It has extremely strict rules on safety, pales in comparison with NW. Think for NW it's all for show to appease OSHA.

Latest posts