Twu Demands Workers Lose Jobs

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
Below is the latest TWU demand that employees of American Airlines lose their jobs.
First, Jim Little removed 50 years of Union Pay and Benefits "without further ratification".Now, Jim is demanding that employees of other AA work groups lose their jobs.

Next thing you know, he will be sending us another letter about "unemployment" and "job losses" under George W. Bush as President. That's pretty good Jim, you and the TWU complain about jobs lost under Bush, and then demand more jobs be lost at AA. :unsure:

Maybe Jim should first give the membership a vote on HIS TWU POSITIONS and see how confident the members are in his leadership policies!!!!!!!!

Jim Little and the TWU Lies:

Jim said the Constitution requires membership ratification of amendments or changes to the Labor Agreement. Then testified in Federal Court the exact opposite position claiming a long standing and reasonable interpretation that the Consitution DOES NOT require membership voting.

Jim said 3200 members did not get PIN numbers to vote on the concessions. Then later said the number was much smaller.

Jim said the only way to have a legitimate ratification is to have a complete re-vote. Then sold us out and signed off without further ratification.

Jim and the TWU were claiming to have saved 12,000 jobs and three maintenance bases. Now they report 18.1 percent of TWU ground workers lost their positions. And that is even before (between December 2002 and April 2004) the upcoming elimination of MCI and STL jobs.

LET ME MAKE MYSELF PERFECTLY CLEAR MR. JAMES C. LITTLE, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO GO! YOU WORTHLESS POS!!!!!!!

Union: Job cuts unequal at American Airlines

Group calls for trims in management; company to review findings

11:04 PM CST on Friday, November 19, 2004

The union representing ground workers at American Airlines Inc. asked the airline Friday to cut management staff to levels equal to job cuts suffered by the group in the past two years.

In a letter to American, the Transport Workers Union asked for more administrative job cuts to prove management had participated fully in the "shared sacrifice" that kept the airline solvent in the spring of 2003.

The union represents about 30,000 ground workers, clerks, mechanics and machinists at the Fort Worth-based carrier.

Having lost several thousand jobs in the past two years, the group also conceded $620 million in annual wages, benefits and productivity improvements, part of a $1.8 billion-a-year cost cutting that kept American out of bankruptcy court.

"Every day on the job, our members see disparities in the way shared sacrifice was implemented," wrote Jim Little, director of the air transport division. "Our members took deeper wage and benefit cuts than management. In many work areas, the ratio of supervisors to union members seems to have increased since 2003."

The union hired an airline consultant this summer to study how management's contribution to the restructuring compared with the union's.

The study found that while American management took appropriate pay cuts, 12.7 percent of management was laid off between December 2002 and April 2004, while 18.1 percent of ground workers lost their positions in the same period.

The airline said it would review the union's findings and work with the TWU.

"We've had a good, ongoing dialogue with our unions and independent employee groups on any number of issues, including management reductions," said Jacquie Young, an American spokeswoman. "Some of the numbers in this release don't seem to match up with what we know, and so we'll go back and compare notes with Jim and the TWU team."

The union demanded action from American, which has cut its employment from more than 100,000 before September 2001 to 80,000 today.

"We are proceeding immediately with our demand that American reduce its management head count because our members continue to watch as their brothers and sisters lose their jobs while management adds to their numbers," Mr. Little wrote in the letter.

He was unavailable for comment Friday, a union spokeswoman said.

American achieved the lowest costs of the traditional network carriers by some measures in spring 2003 when it brokered the new labor contracts and engineered $2.2 billion in annual operational savings. American's three main labor groups structured their concessions especially to preserve their pension benefits.

But with persistently high oil prices, low-cost competition and hundreds of millions in losses ahead, Wall Street analysts predict American will need to cut even further to return to profitability and keep pace with restructuring.

Delta Air Lines Inc. pilots approved $1 billion in annual cuts, and bankrupt United Airlines moved this week to terminate labor agreements and pension plans for its employees.

On Thursday, Continental Airlines Inc. said it needed $500 million in payroll savings and announced across-the-board pay cuts for its top officers. J.P. Morgan Chase analyst Jamie Baker said the move will further pressure American to revisit more cuts and potentially alter pension plans.

By no means am I a fan of Jim Little. But when union members were getting axed, especially in maintenance, the number of supervisors stayed the same.
I do not like to see anyone lose their job, but we took it worse in terms of layoffs and concessions.
Jim Little is just trying to make up for his empty threat on shared sacrifice to the membership.
He should have also demanded that ALL of management take the concessions and paycuts the rest of us did.

I find this rather funny considering over 2 weeks ago, management at my station announed supervisor layoffs to occur by the first of the year unless they get some stand in steads. Well a little known fact came out about the supervisor stand in stead, it's 26 weeks of pay and other perks. Yeah shared sacrifice consists of bigger payouts for supervisors, 26 weeks to our 13 weeks. Why doesn't Jim Little address this instead of worrying about management layoffs. I know plenty of AMT's who are willing to leave for 26 weeks of pay but not the 13 weeks. To think, it is our concessions that give the company the money to pay the stand in steads, why not distribute it fairly.

Name: Doug Steenland
Email:
Employer: NWA
Station:
Date: Saturday November 20, 2004
Time: 12:36:44 PM

Comments
As you can see by the new contract proposal we will be eliminating line maintenance and converting remaining check work to minimum wage positions. I look forward to the elimination of the technician classification as soon as possible. I would also like to thank Delle Femme and the people at AMFA without witch these major industry changes would not have been possible :(

Strake said:
Name: Doug Steenland
Email:
Employer: NWA
Station:
Date: Saturday November 20, 2004
Time: 12:36:44 PM
Comments
As you can see by the new contract proposal we will be eliminating line maintenance and converting remaining check work to minimum wage positions. I look forward to the elimination of the technician classification as soon as possible. I would also like to thank Delle Femme and the people at AMFA without witch these major industry changes would not have been possible :(
[post="203338"][/post]​

You might be a little more believable if you used someone other than the CEO of NWA for your fake posts. I know you ran out of names and figured you can slip this one through.

It is interesting how NWA says they want the cost advantage that the twu gave AA by way of it's take whatever you want concession deal that the twu provided AA. twu, once again leading the industry into concessions.

Decision 2004 said:
Below is the latest TWU demand that employees of American Airlines lose their jobs.
First, Jim Little removed 50 years of Union Pay and Benefits "without further ratification".Now, Jim is demanding that employees of other AA work groups lose their jobs.

Next thing you know, he will be sending us another letter about "unemployment" and "job losses" under George W. Bush as President. That's pretty good Jim, you and the TWU complain about jobs lost under Bush, and then demand more jobs be lost at AA. :unsure:

Maybe Jim should first give the membership a vote on HIS TWU POSITIONS and see how confident the members are in his leadership policies!!!!!!!!

LET ME MAKE MYSELF PERFECTLY CLEAR MR. JAMES C. LITTLE, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO GO! YOU WORTHLESS POS!!!!!!!
[post="202554"][/post]​

YOU ARE FREAKIN' KIDDING ME? [deleted] YOU ARE QUITE THE PIECE OF WORK. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO BELIEVES THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO LOSES THEIR JOB, OR HOW MANY LOSE THEIR JOB, JUST AS LONG AS YOU CAN GET AN EXTRA BUCK OR TWO IN YOUR PAYCHECK. YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIBILITY LEFT SO QUIT TRYING TO PLAY THE GOOD GUY NOW. YOU HAVE BEEN CRYING "SHOW US THE SHARED SACRIFICE" THEN WHEN SOMETHING IS DONE ABOUT IT YOU TRY TO TWIST IT TO FIT YOUR TYPE OF RHETORIC. IT AIN'T WORKING DAVE. NO ONE LIKES THE THOUGHT OF ANYONE LOSING THEIR JOBS (OH EXCEPT THE AMFA SUPPORTERS, AS LONG AS THEY GET WHAT THEY THINK THEY DESERVE) BUT IT IS TIME, PAST TIME, THAT THE OVER-MANNED MANAGEMENT AT AA BE GIVEN THEIR DOSE OF "MEDICINE". I GIVE CREDIT TO JIM LITTLE AND THE OTHERS WHO CONTINUED TO PRESSURE THE COMPANY.

GO SING YOUR SONG TO WHAT FEW SUPPORTERS YOU HAVE LEFT AT THE BASE DAVE. YOUR BOAT HAS SAILED............. AND YOUR DROWNING PAL!! AND THERE IS NO WAY TO SAVE YOURSELF!!!
:D

Well, well, well, would you look at that? What's wrong Decision 2004 (or should I say Mr. Incredible)? Get it handed to ya? Oh, and look, no one came to your defense. Now that's a pity. I guess you don't pass as a "caring" person after all!!!!

Bill said:
Well, well, well, would you look at that? What's wrong Decision 2004 (or should I say Mr. Incredible)? Get it handed to ya? Oh, and look, no one came to your defense. Now that's a pity. I guess you don't pass as a "caring" person after all!!!!
[post="204927"][/post]​

Maybe no one felt your post was worth replying to.

Do you really believe that the company is getting rid of excess management because of Little? Man, you really are sad. Almost as sad and pathetic as Little who is claiming this as a victory.

I'm suprised he didnt claim the mornings rising sun as the result of TWU pressure.

What's really sad is people like you would believe it and thank him for it.

Bill said:
[post="204927"][/post]​

Oh yeah, 62 Tulsa Based Supervisors will hit the street Friday, and you and Jim Little think you accomplished something. Meanwhile, Crew Chiefs are being asked to change a culture entrenched for 50 years, and never challenged AA by management.

All you have done is line the cross-hairs up on your pension and job security provision.

The ignorance exhibited by the TWU about dealing with this Corporation is beyond belief. The TWU is so predicatable that the company enjoys the advantage of being three moves ahead at all times. We are doomed, and overhaul maintenance will not survive the next move.

Can you say concessions or BK in early 2005?

Well, as I understand it the one item the TWU failed at was hiring a consultant, there lies the ignorance exhibited.

supervisor stand in stead, it's 26 weeks of pay and other perks. Yeah shared sacrifice consists of bigger payouts for supervisors, 26 weeks to our 13 weeks.

This is absolutely untrue. If you actually work for AA you can look it up on Jetnet.

Oneflyer said:
This is absolutely untrue. If you actually work for AA you can look it up on Jetnet.
[post="205046"][/post]​

I did look it up; for supervisor's is not on jetnet, it says see your manager for details. The info on the 26 weeks comes straight from 4 supervisor's in maintenance taking the stand in stead and also from the manager who approved it. Sorry they didn't cut you in on the money but in my department, they are paying it.

my shop steward who BTW signed an AMFA card :up: came into the break room friday and told us and I quote "dennis burchette said that If we keep operating as we are and things dont change drastically the company would be filing BK in the first quarter of 2005" first im not sure who this "WE'' is that dennis is referring too but I will say that "WE" as in Labor, have given back way more than our share and continue to deliver "THE PRODUCT" that we were hired to do. I suggest those who are in charge of operating and running this Airline figure out how to do it profitably!