TWU (local 100) "Talks the talk" + "WALKS the WALK"

How can this radical local go against the intl wishes and strike. Heck they might screw up the cash stash after the fines are paid off.

I have this second hand but I've been told that a privision of the Taylor Law (that bars the Union from Striking) stipulates that the union looses automatic payroll deductions from union member pay checks for a period of 5 years after a strike is called.

That's gotta hurt the union's cash flow long term.

A simple YES or NO will do, by someone more knowlegable of the law(pertaining to this STRIKE), than I .

Question,

If the Union stay's on STRIKE for "60" days(2 MONTHS),
and,
The Union is fined $60 million dollars,
and,
some Union leaders are jailed for 60 days,

AND the UNION PAYS the $$ fine IN FULL !!

"HAS the UNION then met all It's legal responsibilities" ?

NH/BB's

Congradulations to the TWU Local 100 members who told the TWU international,NYC-MTA,New York state,etc. to go to hell and then walked out on strike. This is what unionism is all about. If there is a B.S. pro-management law, then it is the "real" union members job to break it! Civil disobedience is the only way we will stop the concessions in the airline industry and get back what we have voted away! Go LOCAL 100 Go! Go LOCAL 100 Go!

I have this second hand but I've been told that a privision of the Taylor Law (that bars the Union from Striking) stipulates that the union looses automatic payroll deductions from union member pay checks for a period of 5 years after a strike is called.

That's gotta hurt the union's cash flow long term.
Don't have the time to read it over right now but here is the Taylor Law in a easy read format.

http://www.perb.state.ny.us/stat.asp

I get the feeling this is going to be a LONG strike. Pretty militant union (from what I hear)...very strong headed management...and differences in positions that place the two sides not even in the same stadium.

I get the feeling I better start to get used to my leaving the house at 3:30am to beat the 5:00am driving curfew into Manhattan.

....I get the feeling the calendar could turn to February before this is resolved.

Wrong. You forget that without the MTA this city is crippled. They have 7 million riders a day. So more people use Mass transit than the entire population of most cities. Its a phenominal system but without the workers its inop, and so is the city. The fact is most people simply decided to add a few day to their Christmas break and stay home.

What the city and the MTA are trying to do is make the first inroads into attacking benifits and pensions for all municipal workers, thats why they have already spent more fighting Local 100 than they would have if they had settled it. Lets not forget that Bloomberg is a Billionaire who stands to benifit if Bonds perform better than expected thanks to lower labor costs. Billionaires like Bllomberg know that as long as these workers have such benifits that other workers will soon be demanding them back again.

Latest posts

Back